Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Beamdog announce Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonspear, with Chris Avellone onboard

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
As a man who plays BG1-2EE only on tablet on toilet during shit sessions, I find this new add on or expansion quite satisfactory.
Was it for a full immersion experience, like 4d cinemas where you not only see things, but also smell them?

Zeriel

Arcane
It boggles my mind how many people in this thread are treating Beamdog seriously after the catastrophe that was both enhanced editions. People really want to pay a company to degrade a product that has been available for next to free for years?

Crescent Hawk

Cipher
It boggles my mind how many people in this thread are treating Beamdog seriously after the catastrophe that was both enhanced editions. People really want to pay a company to degrade a product that has been available for next to free for years?

Its the POE effect.

Torment will be real test. I personally believe crpgs can have a future. Underrail and Age of Decadence are remarkable works.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

It's a 15 hour piece of Infinity Engine/Baldur's Gate content 15 years after the series ended and the Infinity Engine was lost in time. Have you no sense of wonder?

Zeriel

Arcane

It's a 15 hour piece of Infinity Engine/Baldur's Gate content 15 years after the series ended and the Infinity Engine was lost in time. Have you no sense of wonder?

It isn't authentic, though. Getting excited about this or treating it with anything but disdain is like embracing some fan's "OFFICIAL PLANESCAPE TORMENT SEQUEL MOD, NOW WITH ANNAH WAIFU ROUTE!"

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

It isn't authentic, though. Getting excited about this or treating it with anything but disdain is like embracing some fan's "OFFICIAL PLANESCAPE TORMENT SEQUEL MOD, NOW WITH ANNAH WAIFU ROUTE!"

Not quite the same because Beamdog was founded by Bioware refugees.

You know, I have to wonder. Beamdog did say they were considering a Planescape sequel. And Chris Avellone is working with them on Dragonspear... :M

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
They've never said they were considering a Planescape sequel, only an Enhanced Edition (and even that was years ago)

They've never said they were considering a Planescape sequel, only an Enhanced Edition (and even that was years ago)

I think at a certain point they were considering sequels to any IE game. However, I can't prove it (or at least I'm not willing to try).

Naraya

Arcane
Maybe I'm different, but I've genuinely enjoyed tens of hours playing both these 'catastrophes' and encountered literally zero bugs.

Maybe I'm different, but I've genuinely enjoyed tens of hours playing both these 'catastrophes' and encountered literally zero bugs.

Well, we do live in the era of patches.

Not that I agree with the characterization of them as 'catastrophes' in any case because the alterations were too minimal.

The EE release was more of an exercise in psychological manipulation than anything else. Like most consumers, gamers have a tendency to look toward the present and future of the medium. Hence more people read Game of Thrones than Edgar Burroughs and only a handful of classics like Lord of the Rings persevere through time. This also applies to games, but to a lesser extent, because gamers embrace favoritism toward newness far more strongly than say, science fiction fans. "Looking forward" to major releases is a huge part of the fun and appeal of the hobby to a lot of people.

So taking 300-350 hours out of your gaming life to play the old Infinity Engine games (despite their legacy as classics) is an odious thing to do for most gamers.

However, if you take something and call it an ENHANCED EDITION, you can tap into the psychological tendencies that governs the purchasing behavior of the forward looking gamer masses. That EE label transformed a past gaming event into the future.

Last edited:

karfhud

Augur
MCA-onboard and all
Would you stop saying that? He's so far from the board, he's being paid to use a spyglass to briefly describe what he thinks of the general outlines of the board.

A couple of pages of MCA's feedback can elevate this game's story, of this much I'm sure. And who knows, maybe they let him write something of his own as well.

It's funny how people ten to downplay his involvement. It's obvious that MCA's name on the box (figuratively speaking) sells more copies, but why exactly can't I get excited that one of the best cRPG writers is somehow involved with a new Baldur's Gate title?

DeepOcean

Arcane

I wonder how must be the smell of female tiefling sweat...

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
A couple of pages of MCA's feedback can elevate this game's story, of this much I'm sure.
You're assuming that the recipients of the feedback are listening and implementing it correctly. Most likely it's just there to be used as PR while they go and make their fanboy "vision".

It's funny how people ten to downplay his involvement. It's obvious that MCA's name on the box (figuratively speaking) sells more copies, but why exactly can't I get excited that one of the best cRPG writers is somehow involved with a new Baldur's Gate title?
His involvement? He's not developing anything. He's like a game journalist getting a preview copy and giving his thoughts. Get excited all you want, that won't make MCA involved.

aVENGER

Arcane
Developer
Chris' feedback was taken very seriously.

For reference, he wasn't only provided with a build of the game. He also had access to all relevant design documents.

Ulrox

Arbiter

Because you've become conditioned by reading the codex to hate Beamdog, obviously.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
You're not different, you're just a retard that was jewed out of his money.

PoE scars run deep.

Self-Ejected

vivec

Self-Ejected
Chris' feedback was taken very seriously.

For reference, he wasn't only provided with a build of the game. He also had access to all relevant design documents.

So the million dollar question... *Is* he designing any part of the game at all?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom