Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Beamdog announce Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonspear, with Chris Avellone onboard

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonspear; Beamdog; Cameron Tofer; Chris Avellone; Phillip Daigle; Trent Oster

Last night, at the conclusion of a 12 day countdown on their BaldursGate.com portal, the Edition Enhancers at Beamdog officially revealed the identity of the "Adventure Y" Baldur's Gate interquel they teased back in January, in an announcement event that aired live on Twitch. Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonspear (whose title won't be a surprise if you've been paying attention) will be a Throne of Bhaal-style expansion pack for Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition. Here's the expansion's announcement trailer, and overview of its features from the official website:

Though Sarevok is dead and his plan for war averted, peace eludes the citizens of Baldur's Gate. A crusade marches from the north, seizing supplies, forcing locals into military service, and disrupting trade along the Sword Coast. A charismatic warrior known as the Shining Lady leads this army, her background shrouded in mystery. Can the rumors be true—is she, like you, the child of a god?

The closer you get to the Shining Lady, the more you realize your father, the dead Lord of Murder still casts a long shadow upon your path. Baldur's Gate has put its faith in you, but you must determine whose interests you truly serve before you face the Shining Lady among the ruins of Dragonspear Castle...

Baldur’s Gate: Siege of Dragonspear adds a new chapter to the Bhaalspawn saga. The events occurring between Baldur’s Gate and Baldur’s Gate II are at last revealed in this 25-hour expansion pack for Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition.

Key Features

• Expand Your Story: Explore new areas, fight new monsters, and win new rewards in the Siege of Dragonspear expansion toBaldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition. Continue the adventure by exporting your game to Baldur’s Gate II: Enhanced Edition
  • The Crusade Rises: A sharp and subtle adventure that pits you against an enigmatic new foe
  • Explore the Sword Coast: Venture through vibrant new hand-painted areas in the classic style of the original Baldur’s Gate
  • Gather Your Party: The original cast returns to kick butt for goodness - along with Neera, Rasaad, Dorn, and four new additions!
  • To Infinity and Beyond: Updated UI and improved Infinity Engine features
  • Extra Class: New items, quests, and a new class: the spirit-calling shaman!
  • Venture Forth With A Friend: Functional, extensively tested cross-platform multiplayer on all supported platforms
  • Story Mode: A difficulty setting to allow players to experience all of the story with none of the Game Over screens
The Twitch stream contains lots of gameplay footage from the expansion. For more information, I recommend this interview with Trent Oster over at PCGamesN, which also reveals that Beamdog have brought on none other than Chris Avellone to help polish up their writing. Jumping ship to assist the closest thing your old company has to a direct competitor, MCA? Tsk tsk.

Seriously though, Baldur's Gate getting a new expansion pack over 16 years since the first one. Pretty crazy. It'll be interesting to see what Beamdog's team of hired modders can come up with, with all the experience and capabilities they've built up over all these years of Infinity Engine modding. If nothing else, it'll keep Obsidian on their toes. Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonspear doesn't have a release date yet, but you should be able to sign up to become a beta tester over at Beamdog's forums.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
The real incline cometh. A true old school game in the old infinity engine and not just a re-imagining in faux unity engine.

The combat is not balanced and you get XP for it, that's all i need to know.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Not that I'm a massive fan of Beamdog, but good on you Chris, stick it to em.

Seems like all he did was play the game and write some notes ... but probably not for free :smug:

Last edited:

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
I must say they have the music right spot on, can't wait for BG 3 announcement with the inevitable MCA as the lead writer.

Last edited:

Kz3r0

Arcane
Baldur's Gate getting a new expansion pack over 16 years since the first one. Pretty crazy.
The typical acumen of the game industry, Bioware is still running on the fame acquired with that game, clones and similia are made still today, finally they realized that the IP is still there and can still make money.

sser

Arcane
Developer
I'm curious as to how they're going to price it.

Also, BGIII only seems like a matter of time now.

mixer

Learned
Yey, riding the Minsc nostalgia. Minsc was funny if you were 12 when the game came out.

I will probably play it but not really hyped.

TigerKnee

Arcane
Baldur's Gate getting milked isn't particular shocking to me, but an expansion for the original game? Wtf?

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yey, riding the Minsc nostalgia. Minsc was funny if you were 12 when the game came out.
Nope, finding him funny still.
Though I have to say that Baldur's Gate may be the only game where the German voiceover was actually better than the original. Minsc is definitely less funny in the English version.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Also, BGIII only seems like a matter of time now.

That might depend on how well this sells, no? Beamdog's titles have had diminishing returns on sales.

BTW, in the interview, they say they want to do a 5E title after this.

Baldur's Gate getting milked isn't particular shocking to me, but an expansion for the original game? Wtf?

Because BG1:EE has the largest install base.

Last edited:

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer
The most curious thing here is that there's another IE game that hasn't had its EE yet and it is somewhat related to the MCA...

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
An expansion from the company that "enhanced" the shit out of a perfectly good movie intro of Baldur's Gate?
just a reminder:
Anybody who liked this should be skullfucked in the eye sockets for eternity.

If they prove as inspired for this expansion as they were with their revamped 2.0 intro, only good things will come of it.

ROARRR

Savant
Possibly Retarded
The events occurring between Baldur’s Gate and Baldur’s Gate II are at last revealed
Is that a new made up thing or is that based on some old sources, please someone confirm!!!

Though I have bought until now only the BG1:advanced edition (no need to pay for advanced stuff when the content is small!), I will buy all of them when BG3 is officially announced!

Chris Avellone to help polish up their writing
Well, good thing to hear he is onboard, but polish could also mean minimal work...

With a very sceptical eye:
:hype:

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
As if not all of us are going to be playing this guys.... Avellone is just the cherry on top and you bet Minsc's original actor will be on board too
As much as I dislike Trent he has a winning ticket here and the inevitable road to BG3 starts right here

I still can't get over the fact that Beamdog, of all people, managed to get the rights for this franchise.
There must be loads of developers out there that would kill for a chance to make a Baldur's Gate, but the ones that will actually do it are a talentless bunch without an ounce of ambition who are just going to recycle an almost 20-years-old 2D engine.

And people are even cheering them for it. "Real incline" my hairy ass.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
There must be loads of developers out there that would kill for a chance to make a Baldur's Gate, but the ones that will actually do it are a talentless bunch without an ounce of ambition who are just going to recycle an almost 20-years-old 2D engine.
As opposed to the talentless bunch without an ounce of ambition who just made a spiritual sequel to an almost 20-years-old 2D engine? Obsidian had their shot at it, and they fucked it up. At least Beamdog is doing it the old way, not making promises on the fly for us to give them money and then they'll try to figure things out as they go. So let them try, at least it won't cost us nothing.

Ausdoerrt

Augur
Yeah, you're right actually - and they have been looking at doing a PST:EE.

They should (also) do IWD2.

PST:EE? I dunno, I mean, the game is definitely showing its age, but it's so radically different from the likes of BG, I'm wary of them screwing it up.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Such great storytelling; told by a cheesy gruff dude and a squeeky hamster.

How does anyone think this is even tolerable writing?

Kz3r0

Arcane
PST:EE? I dunno, I mean, the game is definitely showing its age, but it's so radically different from the likes of BG, I'm wary of them screwing it up.
We should start sending out death threats to prevent them from changing the intro, and everything else.

As opposed to the talentless bunch without an ounce of ambition who just made a spiritual sequel to an almost 20-years-old 2D engine?
I was somewhat underwhelmed with several parts of PoE (NOWHERE near to the degree most of the Codex seems to think it's a "complete fuck up" though), but at least Obsidian put enough effort in the project to come up with a new, almost-decent engine instead of just recycling shamelessly assets from a 17 years old game.

Obsidian had their shot at it, and they fucked it up. At least Beamdog is doing it the old way

...So let them try, at least it won't cost us nothing.
Can't really say that the "additional content" in both their Enhanced Editions is filling me with confidence.

And sure, it won't "cost me anything", beside the depressing knowledge that I shouldn't expect anything particularly good from the people who now own the rights of one of my favorite series.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom