Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Beamdog and Fallout remake (no, they're not making one)

SionIV

Cipher
Patron
Found this old thread on the Beamdog forum that is quite interesting. I didn't find any topics in the search function about this.

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/1272/fallout-1-2-enhanced-edition#latest

"I do believe that a lot of Fallout fans would gladly play multiplayer version of Fallout on PC\Mac\Android\iOS rather than just overhauled original fallout games. Thus I ask Beamdog to consider idea of cooperating with this independent devs and create really Great Game, that would support desktop and mobile platforms and allow all Fallout fans to step into the Waste from all devices."

And from Trent Oster himself.

"The fallout IP is too "hot" legally right now. We're only interested in working with IP we won't be sued into oblivion over. While it could be possible to cut a deal on the IP, the fact it is in active development makes it less appealing. We would always be the "cute little brother" to the main Fallout project."

And to throw some gasoline onto the fire.

"If possible want to see fallout 1 and 2s all dialogues are voice acted like fallout 3 did."

Discuss?

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
There is nothing to discuss. Bethesda owns Fallout, will never happen.

SionIV

Cipher
Patron
If Beamdog got the rights to make an enhanced edition of Fallout? It isn't impossible. Likely? No. Impossible? No.

What could improve on Fallout? The graphics? Companions? How would you make it?

Cadmus

Arcane
If Beamdog got the rights to make an enhanced edition of Fallout? It isn't impossible. Likely? No. Impossible? No.

uhm...maybe make an inventory that's not fucking retarded but that's about it. Get MacGyver to re-record his lines to not sound so bored.

Biscotti

Arbiter
Patron

UI improvements, a companion management system like FO2's, some dialogue improvements so you don't end up locking yourself out of completely unrelated topics with some NPCs.
That's about it, really. Community patches and mods take care of most of this, so I really don't see any point for an "enhanced" edition. Especially if we have Beamdog inserting their fanfiction tier writing into it like they did with BG.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Fallout doesn't need improvements, other than maybe HD upgrade in the same style and some revisions to the barter, UI screns and companions

But Beamdog? Beamdog couldn't remake their way out of a paperbag.

No thx.

SionIV

Cipher
Patron
"It's odd that the modding community of FO1 and 2 are soo crappy compared to BG1 and 2, considering how long the game has existed and the rather large and active fan-base. "

agris

Arcane
Patron
"It's odd that the modding community of FO1 and 2 are soo crappy compared to BG1 and 2, considering how long the game has existed and the rather large and active fan-base. "
one word: WeiDU
Another word: NearInfinity

Compared to the IE games, the modding-curious fan base of the original fallouts aren't as technically competent. Thus, tools enabling modding are few and far between. Timeslip's Sfall is an exception, and I believe Mash's high-res patch now supports the Mapper, but these are not replacements for weidu and nearinfinity (or DLTCEP depending on your age).

Last edited:

Bumvelcrow

Somewhat interesting
Patron
Dumbfuck
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Strap Yourselves In

Please... Leave the classics the fuck alone. If they want to do something creative then make a new game with a new story using a similarly inspired system. This stream of dubiously enhanced re-issues is as creatively bankrupt as any AAA fiasco.

Xeon

Augur
Yea, Fallout 1 might use some improvement to the followers so you can at least ask them to get the fuck out of the way but other than that, don't see anything that too important. Fallout 2 beside a better inventory and removing the temple, its kinda perfect, even loading is instant in both IIRC.

Mods for Fallouts are also extremely easy to install, FO1 FixT, FO2 Restoration.

Haraldur

Augur
Full party control might be good (as an optional mode). Other than that, higher resolution (already done by mods), and I doubt the 3D models used to generate the sprites and other pre-rendered graphics are recoverable, so I have no particular desire for "improved" graphics.

Sarkile

Magister
Patron
With the exception of shit Bethesda games I've rarely felt the need for mods. And letting Beamdog near Fallout would make the world a worse place to live.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Fallout has been beaten down so much.. I can't even enjoy the originals.. Like when I hear Brotherhood of Steel I think of goofy ass retards hopping around making one liner quips and saving the world.
This franchise is dead.

Sarkile

Magister
Patron
Better that than what I think of. When I hear Brotherhood of Steel I think of the console exclusive Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance clone.

deuxhero

Arcane
Better handling of neutrals in combat and faster combat animations in general (or even take Arcanum's "fast turn based" option which skips them almost entirley). Combat in areas with lots of characters is hell.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Better handling of neutrals in combat and faster combat animations in general (or even take Arcanum's "fast turn based" option which skips them almost entirley). Combat in areas with lots of characters is hell.
Do you want Fo1 to last 5 less hours? It is short already :D

deuxhero

Arcane
Exactly. 5 hours of a pretty short game is spent watching v・e・r・y s・l・o・w animations. That's more than enough to make me not replay the original Fallouts more often.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Fastest combat speed in Fallout pretty much skips the walking animations which were the slowest. If that's still too slow for you, then I don't know.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Lol slow animations.

Try playing D:OS EE. Unbearebly long and shit combat speed/animations, and that game is touted as having sone of the best recent combat implementation in RPGs

Makes you think.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom