Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter BattleTech Pre-Release Thread

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
the current average gamer needs depth/actual thinking for enjoyment

eh, current average gamers are also hardly the audience for this kind of game, its strategy & rpg enthusiasts and old BT fans and from what I have seen, they seem to like it a great deal.

veevoir

Klytus, I'm bored
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech

eh, current average gamers are also hardly the audience for this kind of game, its strategy & rpg enthusiasts and old BT fans and from what I have seen, they seem to like it a great deal.

Surprisingly those two groups mix. I mean, look at the Shadowrun. The target audience was pnp players and they make core group of backers, yet the game is nothing like the complication level of pnp. I'm guilty here too, love those games and can forgive much as they ooze with setting/lore and was hungry for anything shadowrun.

And there were enough left after first one/dragonfall to support HK. Hell, Dragonfall ranked pretty high on dex lists, exactly because of that. Sotryfagness count was >9000 so a lot of gameplay failures could be forgiven.

So think how starved are BT fans and how much will they take just to see resurrection of their beloved franchise in any form. Especially if this form is "good enough for what it is" which could be HBS motto. In the end, it is not bad strategy - but it brings to life good games, not great games.

TL;DR: Jordan Can't Do No Wrong + I'm HBS fanboy despite their shortcomings.

veevoir

Klytus, I'm bored
Patron
You seriously underestimate the Furious Five.

But yeah. BT was probably the last in line of nostalgia kickstarters. Though probably not only BT survivors were included but Mechwarrior ones as well.

ArchAngel

Arcane

Surprisingly those two groups mix. I mean, look at the Shadowrun. The target audience was pnp players and they make core group of backers, yet the game is nothing like the complication level of pnp. I'm guilty here too, love those games and can forgive much as they ooze with setting/lore and was hungry for anything shadowrun.

And there were enough left after first one/dragonfall to support HK. Hell, Dragonfall ranked pretty high on dex lists, exactly because of that. Sotryfagness count was >9000 so a lot of gameplay failures could be forgiven.

So think how starved are BT fans and how much will they take just to see resurrection of their beloved franchise in any form. Especially if this form is "good enough for what it is" which could be HBS motto. In the end, it is not bad strategy - but it brings to life good games, not great games.

Shadowrun was a RPG, you can forgive less complicated combat if other things are done well and they were. BT is supposed to be Xcom like tactical combat simulator with base management between missions.
This type of game lives and dies by the quality and fun of the combat missions.

veevoir

Klytus, I'm bored
Patron

Shadowrun was a RPG, you can forgive less complicated combat if other things are done well and they were. BT is supposed to be Xcom like tactical combat simulator with base management between missions.

Thought the original quote was:

veevoir said:
Well, it's not that the current average gamer needs depth/actual thinking for enjoyment.

So we will see. Of course I hope for the best, that's what this beta is for. HBS is known for taking feedback (and I mean good feedback, not whiny bitches) seriously, just look at the abyss between Dead Man's Switch and Dragonfall. So I'm glad they decided to beta, hopefully they will learn and modify much because of that.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
How the hell this game will handle friendly fire?
Will it feature it?

Because if not, I will take the Numenera route and I'll start composing a polite letter in which I state I want my fuckin money back.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
How the hell this game will handle friendly fire?
Will it feature it?

Because if not, I will take the Numenera route and I'll start composing a polite letter in which I state I want my fuckin money back.

I think in the last video (Mike vs AI) he mentioned they have no friendly fire in this game. Will see if I can find something more on it.

Black

Arcane
Or maybe you're afraid he's going to talk about how geometrical shapes would be good for Battletech.

ArchAngel

Arcane

Thought the original quote was:

veevoir said:
Well, it's not that the current average gamer needs depth/actual thinking for enjoyment.

So we will see. Of course I hope for the best, that's what this beta is for. HBS is known for taking feedback (and I mean good feedback, not whiny bitches) seriously, just look at the abyss between Dead Man's Switch and Dragonfall. So I'm glad they decided to beta, hopefully they will learn and modify much because of that.
Average gamers liked nuXcom. From what I seen of BT on twitch and before, even nuXcom is more complex game and by far.

Weasel
Yep, AI still not fully functional:

https://community.battletechgame.com/forums/threads/7535/comments/144400
HBS_Adarael
Tyler Carpenter: HBS Game Designer, GM of Death from Above

It will be interesting to see how the conversation shifts once PvP is added, and once the AI understands how to use skills (right now it doesn't understand most of the skills, and therefore cannot use them.)
>>While it might feel brawling with small maps keep in mind this is a test of the game. Having people spend 15 mins wandering around the map trying to make contact is not exactly going to be stimulating for most players and will greatly limit the amount of data collected as with longer match times that will mean far less engagements.

This is exactly why the start positions are so close in these maps. This is to reduce the feeling of "It takes too long to find the enemy!"

Situations may (probably will) be wildly different in shipping arena maps.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
I backed it too, but now i feel that I should have been *that* guy.
*The one* who would have endlessly bombarded them with messages in vein of; "FFS get environment react to ongoing battle, give fires, give rubble, give destructible cover!!!"

I never thought that I would regret not being the insane monomaniac basket case.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I hope some of you 'dexers that have access to this beta do give them feedback about things we have been talking here.

Unwanted

Janise

Unwanted
I mean they scrapped free movement already... Something that distinguished the game at least stylistically.

Duellist_D

Savant
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Sooo, no Beta for Codex-Backers?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom