Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter BattleTech Pre-Release Thread

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
They might as well make choo-choo noises while they are at it.
Though to be honest, I'd play the shit out of a Battle Trains game.

Alpharius

Scholar
Speaking of mods, the dudes on paradox forums are saying its likely that making the mechs have different upkeep costs would be impossible because there is only one file with one variable in jsons regarding the mech upkeep. If it will be the same in the release version we can pretty much forget about mods making the economy non-:retarded: . And i don't see why the devs would change that seeing as they talked about how "we dont want to punish players who want to play with 4 Assaults".

So at this point i expect this game to be absolute shit, with or without mods.

The game journalists will love it though. Like, "Transwoman gamedesigner talks about how she survived the toxic mansplaining to make the darksouls of strategy games". Thats 10\10 right there. :D

Cael

Arcane
And i don't see why the devs would change that seeing as they talked about how "we dont want to punish players who want to play with 4 Assaults".
Don't you believe a word of that. The reason is far simpler than that: The fuckers are just plain Goddamned LAZY, and basically put minimum effort into the game. They can't even be bothered to get their mouth flapping spew right, what with DropShips travelling at FASTER THAN LIGHT, when there is NOTHING in the BTech universe that does that (Jumping is not FTL travel; it is closer to using portals).

EDIT: Oh, and you can add to that the fact they had the Atlas being built in their little opening in 2500, when the thing was built to specifications set down by GENERAL ALEKSANDR KERENSKY. It was over 200 years too early. I mean, seriously. One of the iconic 'mechs of the entire franchise, and in the VERY FIRST LINE of its history, and they FUCKED IT UP.

Last edited:

almondblight

Arcane
I'd prefer it if lights were actually useful. Putting a tonnage limit to force you to use them is basically admitting they're shit, since if they weren't you'd use them by choose instead of needing incentives. It's too bad. They tried to make them good with the initiative/evasion bonuses they get, but it doesn't seem to have been enough. They're not even the weak mechs that you start with then upgrade from, since in this game you start with 3 mediums already. Light mechs in this game will just be for enemies to use. And you very briefly with the Spider as your fourth mech, until you get another medium and throw it away.

But everything doesn't need to be made equally useful. If you can deploy two scout mechs for the cost of one Atlas, it doesn't mean the the scouts are shit, just like a battlecruiser costing more than a marine in Starcraft doesn't mean marines are shit. It adds another dimension to what trade-offs you're making, and opens up more interesting unit mixes.

Bohr

Arcane
Last edited:

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Damn, the last few pages don't exactly make this look promising. How much of a dumpster fire is it going to be on a scale of 1-10?

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
  • You can fire at a mech to remove an evasion pip. It doesn’t matter how many weapons you fire to do so, you only remove 1 evasion.
  • If you are going to shoot a high evasion target, choose your firing order judicially so your most damaging alpha happens LAST.
  • Bulwark / guarded is 50% damage reduction, and removes stability damage, use it. . However, it doesn’t stack with the Forest buff.
    It can be negated by melee attacks or backshots.

• Every mech with jumpjets could potentially death from above at least once safely if you keep your legs in good condition. This is an extremely powerful attack and shouldn't be neglected.
  • Sensor lock lets you remove two evasion stacks
  • Multi-target is really good when paired with penetrating shot (ignores braced for a single weapon) - if a mech is carrying 2 or 3 high damage weapons against an enemy force that happens to be braced, he can multi-target each one of them for max damage.
  • Shooting missiles are average damage weapons. Shooting at 35% probability means you are, on average, going to get 35% of the max damage of the missile barrage.
  • LRMs can indirectly fire but you need a spotter and you need that LRM boat pilot to have the tactics skill.
  • Unless you really want to go for headshots, the AC10 is a bad weapon compared to the AC5
  • The real benefits of reserve are to try to make the opponent react to you, rather than you react to the opponent. A good example was the one I gave above, where you have a mech in a really good defensive position. Don’t move that mech until you MUST, because it gives you the most tactical flexibility.
  • There is a right time and wrong time to worry about getting shot. You WANT the enemy to shoot at you when you have lots of evasion and are braced - don’t freaking move (reserve your turn!) when you are in that state until the last opportunity you have to make that move.
  • You should always move before firing whenever tactically possible to get maximum pips of evasion.
  • Movement distance depends on the engine of the mech.
  • Lighter mechs get to move first so use Initiative to your advantage. Reserve while safe then shoot when he gets to move last. You can then move back into a safe spot.
  • Critical hits are two-stage - the first crit damages the weapon and makes it less accurate, the second destroys it. Orange for damaged, red for destroyed.
  • You never, never, EVER put ammo in the CT (Center Torso). A crit blowing up your ammo will destroy the location the ammo is stored in.
  • Use Missiles first to remove Evasion as they're more likely to do actual damage thanks to each Missile having an individual roll.
  • Mechs will die if: both legs are taken out, head, or the CT.
  • Identify the greatest threat and eliminate it. Also worth shooting at the ammo locations as you get more BANG for your buck
  • Knock-downed mechs always land on their backs. Combine this with manoeuvre to get a side shot to focus fire into the section you desire to be, no more.
  • Weapons that have long range like PPC, Large Laser, AC10, AC5 can shoot people out of your vision range

Bohr

Arcane
Another stream:

Didn't learn too much more in this one, apart from:
- backer keys go out this weekend
- Steam preload starting on Monday
- around 300 VO lines for each mechwarrior, some variation depending on planetary conditions
- turrets can sensor lock

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Here you go.
Reparer-une-voie.JPG

This one even has barbarians!

Disclaimer: It is a Silmarils game, so it has awesome atmosphere, and beautiful graphics, but the gameplay can be clunky at times. That said, machine gunning barbarian mammoth raiders is fun for a while. I was a Silmarils fanboy back in the days.

Last edited:

PanteraNera

Arcane
Here you go.
Reparer-une-voie.JPG

Disclaimer: It is a Silmarils game, so it has awesome atmosphere, and beautiful graphics, but the gameplay can be clunky at times. That said, machine gunning barbarian mammoth raiders is fun for a while.
Transartica
:love:
Was a really nice game!
And as it has barbarians in it I have to summon ERYFKRAD

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
to anyone watching the streams does this look good? or is it shit llike people were suspecting based on the devs comments the past two months? what's the i n s i d e b a s e b a l l ?

Cael

Arcane
Damn, the last few pages don't exactly make this look promising. How much of a dumpster fire is it going to be on a scale of 1-10?
No dumpster fire. Stop buying stuff that you are just going to burn. Waste of money.

Cael

Arcane
Here you go.
Reparer-une-voie.JPG

Disclaimer: It is a Silmarils game, so it has awesome atmosphere, and beautiful graphics, but the gameplay can be clunky at times. That said, machine gunning barbarian mammoth raiders is fun for a while. I was a Silmarils fanboy back in the days.
Is it possible to get an English version? That looks semi-French? :D Looks like fun, though.

Cael

Arcane
I'd prefer it if lights were actually useful. Putting a tonnage limit to force you to use them is basically admitting they're shit, since if they weren't you'd use them by choose instead of needing incentives. It's too bad. They tried to make them good with the initiative/evasion bonuses they get, but it doesn't seem to have been enough. They're not even the weak mechs that you start with then upgrade from, since in this game you start with 3 mediums already. Light mechs in this game will just be for enemies to use. And you very briefly with the Spider as your fourth mech, until you get another medium and throw it away.

But everything doesn't need to be made equally useful. If you can deploy two scout mechs for the cost of one Atlas, it doesn't mean the the scouts are shit, just like a battlecruiser costing more than a marine in Starcraft doesn't mean marines are shit. It adds another dimension to what trade-offs you're making, and opens up more interesting unit mixes.
1. Both the Atlas and the Locust cost the same in maintenance from the looks of it.
2. You are limited to 4 'mechs.

What fucking tradeoff is possible, you vapid fool?

1. Both the Atlas and the Locust cost the same in maintenance from the looks of it.
2. You are limited to 4 'mechs.
On top of this, all mechs cost the same to salvage, since you get a fixed amount of parts rather than anything related to value. If you plan on mainly getting mechs through salvage then every mech functionally costs the same amount. The only way lights are cheaper is if you're buying them, and there's no reason to do that since you already start with three mediums. The Blackjack/Vindicator/Shadow Hawk you start with cost you nothing. Can't get cheaper than nothing.
I don't really like the salvage system in this game. I have no idea how someone could look at it and see that a King Crab and a Locust were both worth the same amount in the salvage system and think that was okay. Or worse, that they were also valued at the same amount as three small lasers. That's really obviously not right.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I watched a stream for a bit yesterday. Looked pretty fun, but the game seems a bit unoptimized and buggy. He had a crash, one mission totally bugged out and couldn't be completed, and the cinematic camera lives its own life. There is also stuttering when a lot of stuff is going on, actually it reminds me of Xcom 2. You know when something blows up, the game pauses, you go wtf, then suddenly stuff dies in a comedic way 3 seconds after an explosion happened.

Bohr

Arcane
You can get up to 18 once you get the third mechbay in the Argo (6 per bay, you start with six/single bay in the Leopard and then the un-upgraded Argo) and as many as you want in storage - takes time to reequip mechs from storage but you don't pay upkeep on mechs in storage.

People have been asking for more than 4 since the KS but that will only come with a sequel/expansion if ever.

Cael

Arcane
You can get up to 18 once you get the third mechbay in the Argo (6 per bay, you start with six/single bay in the Leopard and then the un-upgraded Argo) and as many as you want in storage - takes time to reequip mechs from storage but you don't pay upkeep on mechs in storage.

People have been asking for more than 4 since the KS but that will only come with a sequel/expansion if ever.
The 'mech carrying version of the Leopard carries a max of 4 (plus 2 Aerospace fighters). They already made up a completely new DropShip in the Argo. They didn't need to use a Leopard or get it so drastically wrong if they do. Why did they see fit to shit on something existing other than another "fuck you" to the existing fanbase?

This entire game is turning out to be nothing but a blatant and calculated dump on CBT fans. They may ignite some interest in consoletards, but you'd have to be a motherloving fuckwit to buy this shit. This is beyond shovelware. This is the Joker blowing up Gotham for the lulz.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom