Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter BattleTech Pre-Release Thread

Jason Liang

Arcane
You have no fucking clue what MWDA is. Despite me actually posting a picture of a MWDA mech figure.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MechWarrior:_Dark_Age

The game may be purchased in booster packs (similar to Magic: The Gathering), but there are ways of acquiring particular pieces without spending large quantities of money on packs. Trade is the most common option, followed by purchases on eBay.

Cael

Arcane
You have no fucking clue what MWDA is. Despite me actually posting a picture of a MWDA mech figure.
No. You have no idea what BTech TT is like and is trying to sound super-knowledgeable about it when I have already laughed at how your post about MWDA being compared to BTech. Typical fucking mainlander.

When you start talking to me about crits, ICE/Standard/XL/XXL/LFE engines, FF/LFF/standard/heavy armour, tonnage, small/standard cockpits, heavy/compact/XL gyros and other such things, and how to customise an Urbie to become a terror using 3025 technology, or 3050 technology or even 3135 technology, then come talk to me about BTech TT.

Protip, shithead: The MtG crack was me showing massive contemptuous sarcasm at MWDA.

Jason Liang

Arcane

I also have contempt for MWDA but those who played it treated it no less seriously than W40k players treat W40k. Measuring tape ready.

Cael

Arcane

I also have contempt for MWDA but those who played it treated it no less seriously than W40k players treat W40k. Measuring tape ready.
No. You showed contempt for BTech by comparing it to MWDA as though they were the same thing.

They are not even the same system, which shows exactly how much you know about the game that you "gave up on in disgust".

But go ahead. Everyone ELSE is retarded, not you. There isn't one guy driving down the wrong side of the highway, it was HUNDREDS!

Jason Liang

Arcane

No. You showed contempt for BTech by comparing it to MWDA as though they were the same thing.

They are not even the same system, which shows exactly how much you know about the game that you "gave up on in disgust".

But go ahead. Everyone ELSE is retarded, not you. There isn't one guy driving down the wrong side of the highway, it was HUNDREDS!

I know they are not the same system. Like I said, I tried both. There's a problem with your reading skills, it's like you don't understand some English grammar or logic or inflection or something. Are you using a translator to read English or something?

Cael

Arcane

I know they are not the same system. Like I said, I tried both. There's a problem with your reading skills, it's like you don't understand some English grammar or logic or inflection or something. Are you using a translator to read English or something?
Sure you did, boy. Sure you did. That is why you brought it up as if it were proof in a BTech thread.

You know, your fake injured innocence is getting tiresome. If you don't like the system and don't want to play it, why the hell are you here in a thread about the system and people who want to discuss the game? It is like you are a tro- ah, that's it, isn't it?

Well, then, Mr Troll. I guess we can safely ignore your little rants from here on in.

My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Man Cael , I get ranting against clickytech but try to be a bit more coherent in the future. Jason Liang actually got to the core of what made it garbage more than anything, the booster model just doesn't work for miniatures games. It encourages skimming and makes people acquire all sorts of crap they don't want to put together any sort of coherent or effective force. At least with traditional TT games you can use a proxy figure since the actual on the table function is defined in the TRO/Monster Manual/Handbook.

Cael

Arcane
Man Cael , I get ranting against clickytech but try to be a bit more coherent in the future. Jason Liang actually got to the core of what made it garbage more than anything, the booster model just doesn't work for miniatures games. It encourages skimming and makes people acquire all sorts of crap they don't want to put together any sort of coherent or effective force. At least with traditional TT games you can use a proxy figure since the actual on the table function is defined in the TRO/Monster Manual/Handbook.
If you know the rules of the game, you can play with pieces of paper to mark where your 'mechs are. You don't need miniatures at all. When you are talking MtG style boosters and items (be it a figurine or a card) that you have to physically possess before you can use, that is not BTech in the slightest. He is not talking the same game at all. When we were playing table top, our hexes were less than 1cm across. We basically used different coloured pencils to note where on the map our 'mechs were. Because of the much smaller size, our battlefield were far larger than normal BTech games.

On top of that, being forced to use what you possess goes against the very basic idea of BTech, which is that you can customise your own 'mechs or in the face of heavy damage, replace components with non-standard parts. The whole BTech universe runs on replacement, repair and salvage. Good luck doing all that with MWDA.

But, here is the kicker: There are TT BTech rules for Dark Age. Where did you think I got the idea of a chainsaw wielding AgroMech from? 'Mechs with ICE is there and all the rules to go with it. There are even 3135 TROs dedicated to it. If he had referenced those, I would have agreed with him. Dark Age, even the TT rules, was a crap premise. It starts with super-Mary Sue Devlin Stone and goes downhill from there.

Instead, the twerp basically put up a non-sequitur and ran off at the mouth about it. He might as well say that he paid $80 to try MtG and hated it and never played it again. It has the same relevance as his MWDA rant.

Bohr

Arcane
So this is the calc behind the mechwarrior either ending up in hospital or dying (90% chance of death reduced by the guts stat):

Mustawd

Price point of $40 seems kind of high for a kickstarted HBS game. Especially when all the other kickstarted games are $20.

Anyone know if they've justified the price hike?

Last edited by a moderator:

Cael

Arcane
http://store.steampowered.com/app/637090/BATTLETECH/

Price point of $40 seems kind of high for a kickstarted HBS game. Especially when all the other kickstarted games are $20.

Anyone know if they've justified the price hike?
They made up a lot of stuff about BTech and change a lot of the rules to make it worse and then made even more changes to balance it back. For all that work, they need to be paid... :D

Cael

Arcane
Wait. When a 'mech gets cored, there is a high chance the 'MechWarrior would DIE? WTF?

Bohr

Arcane
As far as I recall, that's just something the concept artists came up with to illustrate the Succession Wars, and the destructive toll they took.

Of course it also spawned a massive speculative thread on the old forums, complete with annotated diagrams and fierce arguments, about whether the Argo we get in the game was part of that ship (until HBS quashed the idea).

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
With all the historical detail in that trailer I'm surprised it didn't continue to show Kerensky winning the Amaris civil war and leaving known space. Maybe they're saving that for the Clan Invasion expansion. But it makes it seem like the game takes place during the civil war and not centuries afterwards.

Cael

Arcane
Even if they did the game is on the opposite side of the sphere from where the clans attack. So probably also far far away from Dragoons
Wolf's Dragoons have been present in the Inner Sphere since 3005. The Clans didn't attack until 3050 (well, started slowly in 3049). And the Dragoons didn't have anything to do with the attack. In fact, only one of them went back to the Clans before the attack. The rest stayed and actually helped the Inner Sphere resist the attack.

During 3023-3028, the Dragoons were on the Kurita side of the Kurita-Davion border as garrison and raiding units attached to the Galedon District.

Bohr

Arcane
The cameo appearances by famous mechwarriors and units (not the Dragoons), promised in the KS after certain goals were met, are not in the game for release. For the better imho, seemed a bit forced to have them all crammed into this Periphery tale (opponents for the skirmish mode is a different thing though, seems a better idea there)

G0Kzbh3Q_o.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom