Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Game News BattleTech Released

Discussion in 'RPG News & Content' started by Infinitron, Apr 24, 2018.

1. Taka-Haradin puolipeikko Arcane

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
    Click here and disable ads!
    I didn't even know that Megamek has an option to play against AI.
    I need to try it out someday.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. baud Learned

baud
    Parrots:
    Didn't they got the mech 3d models from Mechwarrior Online?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Bohr Arbiter

Bohr
    Parrots:
    Would have thought that, for those who worked on the game, it would be better to ignore the noise and let reviews settle over time. But I guess appealing to Steam (and Kotaku editor followers) makes sense to some.

• Funny x 9
    • decline x 3
    • hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Rage x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • popamole x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Ex-HBS concept artist. Current devs probably told to shut up.

• Informative Informative x 5
    • [citation needed] [citation needed] x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Phanax Novice Patron

Phanax
    Parrots:
    The state of gaming these days is just fucking confusing. Makes me want to keep replaying Deus Ex forever if I have to.

• Agree x 4
    • Brofist x 3
    • incline x 3
    • Friendly x 2
    • Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Saduj Arcane

Saduj
    Parrots:
    Welp, just had my first crash to desktop. Didn't even happen during a mission. It happened on one of the mission debrief screens. At first I thought "Not too bad, game probably auto saved on mission success" but then I started the game up again and..... I have to play this shit over. :negative:

This was after the 2nd mission not counting the tutorial so I haven't even got to the part where I'm running things yet and according to Steam, this has taken 3 hours. Load times are totally abysmal. My PC has 8 gigs of RAM. The first time the game booted it said something about the game needing "7999" and me having "7333" and it suggested that I change the video settings. Changed the quality setting to "Medium" and it still runs like ass.

The game play itself is decent enough so far and the slow animations during combat would not be so annoying if everything else this game does didn't take so fucking long. Will go back to it later but right now I have no interest in replaying a mission I just did. Knowing what is coming will make it easier but it will still take upwards of 40 minutes to complete with all the loading times and whatnot.

I don't know why anyone would complain about the pronoun thing while the game is in this state. Makes it easy for the developers to claim that criticism is politically motivated when in reality the game is horribly optimized and buggy.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Viata Arcane

Viata
    Parrots:
    Makes me want to make my own games just for myself to play.

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Beastro Arcane

Beastro
    Parrots:

• Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. frajaq Learned

frajaq
    Parrots:
    let me get this straight, I'm the leader of a mercenary outfit but I'm not allowed to choose a side in the conflict?

what the hell

• Agree Agree x 4
    • decline decline x 2
    • Despair Despair x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Serious_Business Best Poster on the Codex

Serious_Business
    Parrots:
    Holy fucking shit. The gender talk. Get the fuck back to your tribes, you goddamn faggots. Talk about the fucking game

• Brofist x 5
    • Agree x 4
    • cuck x 3
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 2
    • Disagree x 1
    • Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. holla_cabezas_de_mierda Cipher

holla_cabezas_de_mierda
    Parrots:
    yes, for a number of reasons. One because I am old. Two because I don't have as much free time as I would like (or that I used to)...I used to buy a new game for like 40 bucks back in the early to mid 90's and then play that one game for a few months and repeat...now I buy games when they are on sale for like 75% off, usually between 2-12 dollars and have so many I can't keep track.

I have basically stopped buying them at this point, I have about 80 games I legitimately might like in my collection... and perhaps 70 more on my wish list or coming out over next year or so. I can't ever play all these games. Sort of the same with movies and TV shows too

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Goegoff Educated

Goegoff
    Parrots:
    So, I'm guesing this must be one spectacular game, if the bigges thing people are complaining about is one too many option.

• Disagree x 2
    • Bad Spelling x 2
    • hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Cheers!! x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • FAKE NEWS x 1
    • retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Black Arcane

Black
    Parrots:
    Absolutely, you should buy it ASAP.

• FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Achiman Arbiter Patron

Achiman
    Parrots:
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
    It's a crash fest for me. Bug test our beta would ya? "would you like to send a report to the developer"

I'll check on it again in 3 months or after some optimisation.

• Agree x 2
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 2
    • gimme dem dolla bills x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. thekdawg21 Augur

thekdawg21
    Parrots:
    Project: Eternity
    Didn't Ultima III have an "other" gender upon char creation? I seem to remember being confused by that as a kid. It was sooooo ahead of it's time~

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. ArchAngel Magister

ArchAngel
    Parrots:
    One side does not need you, other side pays you big bucks to help them. It is not like you really have a choice.
    Also the tutorial mission sets it up that you should also be hating the side that does not need you.

• meh meh x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Blaine Cis-Het Oppressor Patron

Blaine
    Parrots:
    I wrote this about films and TV shows, but the same principle also applies to games.

Writers can make up just about anything they want. The stuff they make up doesn't function as automatic and inviolable justification for design decisions.

If someone doesn't like the idea of playing a mercenary outfit in a railroaded story, that's a valid complaint. The reasons the developers invented for why the player is railroaded are irrelevant.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  
  18. Bohr Arbiter

Bohr
    Parrots:
    Originally you were going to be allowed to work for either side, then it morphed into "you can leave the story missions alone and the restoration will fail, leaving Espinosa as a possible employer in the region", then it changed to the one-track story it is now, with story missions waiting for you until you do them and gating access to the whole map and higher-rated procedural contracts. I guess they wanted to focus all their artists' time on making cinematics for that one story track and ran out of time/money to implement alternative outcomes or a more fully fledged faction system.

Pretty sure an 'open world' mod which immediately opens up the map and frees the varying challenge ratings of the systems from the restrictions of story gating will be very popular, having to play the same story over and over to unlock the full sim game will lose its appeal pretty quickly.

• Informative Informative x 6
    • Despair Despair x 2
    ^ Top  
  19. ArchAngel Magister

ArchAngel
    Parrots:
    This a Xcom like game so as such you chose a side as soon as you started the game.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. you know what time it is Arcane

you know what time it is
    Parrots:
    Never understood dex's infatuation with nu-shadowrun, those things sucked massive dick, writing and mechanics wise are on the level (if not below) some browser TB games.

Btw, called both inExile and HBS fiasco while most sucked their shovelware up, come at me faggots.

• Agree x 7
    • Edgy x 3
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • STOP! posting x 1
    • butthurt x 1
    • retadred x 1
    • Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. I ASK INANE QUESTIONS Augur

I ASK INANE QUESTIONS
    Parrots:
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Blaine Cis-Het Oppressor Patron

Blaine
    Parrots:
    I'm so incredibly surprised that they cut a fundamentally meaningful player choice in order to save time and manpower.

It's all right though, there's an in-game explanation for it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Quantomas Learned

Quantomas
    Parrots:
    The sad truth is, in a society that has more conflicts, people are more easily manipulated.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. boobio Cipher

boobio
    Parrots:
    lol its like with Pillars of Eternity and EviLore all over again.

[​IMG]

• WTF am I reading x 5
    • Informative x 2
    • hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • Racist x 1
    • Deus Vult x 1
    • cuck x 1
    • Old x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Iskramor Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Iskramor
    Parrots:
    Marxists are sure tough on internet and twitter.

• Funny Funny x 3
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)