Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News BattleTech Released

You're not going to buy the game because it requires you to create an account if you want to play multi-player?
It's DRM and it's required for single-player too - if you want to use your backer-content.

I can hardly remember a game in the last 10 years that would allow to play multi-player without some sort of a key check. I agree it's a shame about the backer content though. But if you have backer content, then you already own the game, and if you don't then why do you care? Might as well just buy and play the DRM-free single player.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
High price with mediocre production values, reports of bugs and poor performance, dumbed down game mechanics since early Beta, and now this. Any one thing I might be able to live with but the combination kills it.

High price with mediocre production values, reports of bugs and poor performance, dumbed down game mechanics since early Beta, and now this. Any one thing I might be able to live with but the combination kills it.

Just out of curiosity, do you maybe have a link about what has been dumbed down since the beta?

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Oh you'd have to read the main BT thread, I don't think anyone has done a concise summary. But originally each mech type had its own maintenance costs, so you had to be really rich to maintain a lance of assault mechs. The battlefields were larger, now they are seriously cut down in size. Light mechs used to have higher dodge/evasion bonus, which I think was halved in late beta, because thanks to the initiative system they were too powerful, but after that nerf they became cannon fodder, so HBS had to introduce drop ship weight limits to avoid players just bringing four heaviest mechs in every mission - something that was caused by the lack of maintenance costs. At one point there were supposed to be bunch of different buildings on maps and not just 4 mechs plus an occasional tank, and the campaign was supposed to be more open-ended / "happens in the background" if the player wanted to focus on side-missions, but now the campaign missions wait for you and your options are strategically more limited.

Oh you'd have to read the main BT thread, I don't think anyone has done a concise summary. But originally each mech type had its own maintenance costs, so you had to be really rich to maintain a lance of assault mechs. The battlefields were larger, now they are seriously cut down in size. Light mechs used to have higher dodge/evasion bonus, which I think was halved in late beta, because thanks to the initiative system they were too powerful, but after that nerf they became cannon fodder, so HBS had to introduce drop ship weight limits to avoid players just bringing four heaviest mechs in every mission - something that was caused by the lack of maintenance costs. At one point there were supposed to be bunch of different buildings on maps and not just 4 mechs plus an occasional tank, and the campaign was supposed to be more open-ended / "happens in the background" if the player wanted to focus on side-missions, but now the campaign missions wait for you and your options are strategically more limited.

Sounds like a damn shame this wasn't implemented, especially the bigger battlefields and the building types. I've already seen several types of turrets, but if that's it for different kinds of defenses, then it's a bit disappointing indeed.

gaussgunner

Arcane
And the SJW stuff - which I could forgive if not for the above.

Sounds like the kind of game to buy on sale after a few years if they ever fix it.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Your ideological crusade is tiresome, especially when you insist on repeatedly bringing it outside of GD where it belongs.

I don't insist on "bringing it outside of GD." In fact, I never do unless the game itself blatantly calls for it. You're completely free to find it tiresome and annoying, but discussion of SJWs is topical and relevant in threads about games that are developed by SJWs and include blatant SJW shoehorning―and for them, it is an actual crusade of religious proportions. If anything, I endeavor to exercise some restraint outside of GD out of respect for the Codex's easily-offended snowflakes.

If you want to blame someone for your annoyance, then you should blame the developers, or possibly yourself for being too disingenuous or agenda-addled to recognize ideological shoehorning for what it is.

>mfw literal Nazis manspread in my thread about a perfectly normal game developed by completely normal people

ArchAngel

Arcane
They often mean shit as you can buy the game, leave review and refund the game.

Maybe on Amazon, but that's a lot of trouble to go through just to leave a bad review. How many "4chan russian bots" are really going to bother?
Come back to year 2016, it has been fairly easy to refund games on Steam since then. And since 2017 it has become super easy. It is why now game devs need to front load their games with awesome first 2 hours or lose sales to no questions asked refunds.

Max Heap

Arcane
They seriously need a guy in a suit to tell them how to sell a product.

Well, they do have a brown woman in hijab to tell you about her fifteen doctorates—and I mean really, if you even notice the significance of such a thing as the only dialogue preview on the game's sale page, I mean obviously you're a fucking bigot and we don't want your filthy money anyway.

be36aee076.jpg
Yes, a brown woman with ninety doctorates showing off her fictional STEM field. Total coincidence that this is the only piece of dialogue in the image marquee, NAZIS. Nothing epitomizes BattleTech more than talking about your academic degrees, I mean fucking duh.

Wow, what a bigoted, backwards character!
Listen, such outdated writing has no place in modern gaming!

RHDWrtP.jpg

There.
Now it's perfect!

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The crusade might be tiresome, I do find it too at times since I only want to play good games without nu-politics, but when you as a developer include "they" in your game you are asking for it since it's an actual in-game thing now. Not only that, the devs constantly make it worse by removing every thread about it, and threating users for mentioning it. Like I said in the other thread - another game for Tranny/SJW Hill... apparently a good hill to die on.

Otherwise I find the game fun so far. It's just a shame that every game nowadays have to be tainted somehow.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I have a made a saying for myself, based on a saying of Douglas MacArthur: There are retards on the left of me and there are retards on the right of me. There are retards in front of me and they are behind me. There are retards above me and they are below me. The retards cannot escape me.

I thought this was based on a quote from marine general Chesty Puller at the battle of Chosin Reservoir, and not that tool MacArthur.

“They are in front of us, behind us, and we are flanked on both sides by an enemy that outnumbers us 29:1. They can’t get away from us now!”

also sometimes reported as: "We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things."

MuscleSpark

Augur
Patron
I'm surprised none of these retards have learned from the Japs and their dungeon crawlers. Just allow the player to pick a name, portrait and voice, they can role-play whatever the fuck gender they want in their heads, it's not like it has any effect on gameplay whatsoever.

jungl

Augur
I dont mind the lefty sjw shit. Use your imagination and pretend it adds depth to the lore I think its what HBS wanted. I roleplay as a black gender neutral mustached prince looking dude named deyshaun Irelecus. In the battletech far future all the blond white boys are held in reservations where they are sexually humilated and forced into labor for the black aristocracy. My mech commander hailing from a noble family decided to strike out on his own. Start a mercenary company to get rich and one day own his very own plantation worlds of white boys.

Cynicus

Augur
As for Battletech, it appears to me the whole pronoun shit was included as a kind of troll, quite akin to "OK to be white". Technically it changes nothing aside mixed portrait pool and single dialogue string, and as such probably took 5 minutes of dev time to implement, and while it triggers some people to no end, it seems to have served it's purpose...

If it changes nothing, why is it there? If shits and giggles is the reason, then that's just dumb.

Personally, I'm not triggered, just disappointed. My life these days is very hectic and stressful. It's a rare occurrence when I can find the time to just kick back and escape everyday bullshit by playing a game. I'm also a mech fan and was looking forward to this game even if it turned out to be a watered-down and casual experience like the Shadowrun games. So, I find it pretty damn annoying when these fools break the 4th wall with their petty identity politics, especially in such a clumsy way. It's also incredibly stupid from a business standpoint. There's an old adage to the effect of "never discuss politics or religion in polite company." It's sage advice, and anyone looking to maximize profits on what is already likely to be a niche product would do well to heed it.

Edit: In case it seemed otherwise, I wasn't firing across your bow, Van-d-all, just using your comment as a springboard.

Last edited:

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
"gender representation" is not and has never been the goal. Everyone who says "who cares" or "muh slippery slope" is missing the forest from the trees.

There is a cultural zeitgeist change going on right now and no corner of media or culture is exempt. Progressives are religious zealots who want their dogma to reach 100% societal coverage. People will say I am a conspiracy theorist, but there doesn't have to be any grand plan to make this happen. No ant in an ant hill knows what the others are doing, they just go along smelling each other's assholes and vomiting in each other's mouths. That's SJWs in a nutshell.

So SJWs and feminists approach the industry by lying to appeal to their self-interest. They say:

-Gamers are 50% female (a very cooked statistic)
-Your customers are 95% male
-Therefore by appealing to women you will double your sales!

It only makes sense if you don't think about it too hard; it's based on the absurd idea that companies have authority over their audience. Just decide you want women to buy your game and "poof!" sales will flow. But the number of women playing candy crush on their phones has no effect on Call of Duty sales and there are unlikely to be any converts. Game companies have known this for years but it is considered both morally and economically desirable to have a female audience (women spend more) so companies are always eager for potential low-cost, high reward fixes. SJWs promise these easy fixes; just make some "small adjustments" to your designs and you will gain a huge market share. People are right to point to things like "pronoun choice," because these are indicators of deeper problems. The small adjustments usually lead to larger, more drastic adjustments, and usually kill the game, the company, or even the entire industry.

The prescription from SJWs to game companies has been as follows:

-Make your games piss easy (because women don't like challenge). Add super-easy mode where failure is actually impossible. Don't shame players for picking easy mode, and don't reward players for picking harder modes.

-Games should avoid direct violence and encourage non-violent play. Violent male characters should be tormented and traumatized by their terrible actions. Only utterly psychopathic men will enjoy violence. Women should never be the target of violence in any circumstances.

-Romance options should be included, especially homosexual. All men should be presumed bi. These romances must be non-traditional, never according to some patriarchal custom (no asking a woman's father for permission to court her), even if it would be normal in the setting of the game. Ancient Romans, space aliens, and fantasy dwarves must each show the same high regard for the sexual revolution.

-Add female playable characters, preferably as the lead. If gender can be chosen, make female the default choice. They should be as masculine and as unfeminine as possible. They should be homely and dressed in drab, non-revealing, genderless attire. They should act and behave like stereotypical "macho" men. This means being crass, rude, arrogant, foul-mouthed, aggressive (especially sexually), violent, prone to anger, and unwilling to cooperate, compromise, or follow others. They should always have the best plans and ideas and their goals should always be successful. They should never be shown to be inferior to men or have any disadvantages whatsoever, either in the underlying game mechanics or in how the character is portrayed socially within the game.

-Avoid all normal gender roles. Women should never be helpless or dependent on men. Women should be represented at all levels of society, especially traditionally male-dominated areas such as leaders and warriors. These women should be hyper-competent and equal or superior to their male peers. All female characters should be respected and emotionally validated. Female villains should be sympathetic; either victims of evil men or society. No woman should ever be shown as an abject failure, as an irredeemable villain, or eager to get married, start a family, or be a normal housewife.

-"Diverse" characters should be spread liberally throughout the game, including blacks, gays, muslims, and trannies. They must be in prominent positions and not pure background characters or mooks. They must be shown in a positive light and the player must be made to explicitly acknowledge their identity (no saying "Dumbledore was gay" after the fact).

-The only exceptions to the prior two rules should be if the game is portraying a historically traditional setting (though this is becoming an unacceptable excuse) or if the society is specifically dystopian and is meant to show the evil of non-progressive societies. In this case the game must specifically call out and condemn the traditional behavior and show it as an unforgivable crime against humanity.

-The player character must never be allowed to criticize, complain about, or condemn any progressive ideal. For instance, they should never be allowed to choose dialogue options saying homosex is gross or divorce is bad for society. Any character who does speak such heresies must be shown as the worst sort of villain, never a hero or on the good guy's team.

-Companies must police their online and multiplayer communities. Any player who complains about or criticizes any of the above rules must be banned for "safety" reasons and to make the community "inclusive".

-Companies who do not follow these rules, criticize them, complain about SJWs, or otherwise refuse to accept this agenda must be publicly shamed and condemned. They must not be given any press coverage and their games should be given low review scores.

-Companies should be constantly tested and policed to ensure they maintain a "commitment to social justice." Even without any obvious violations of the rules, failing to actively praise progressive values is a violation.

-Companies will submit to periodic, random, and repeated inquisitions for anti-SJW thought criminals. If found, these thought-criminals must be immediately fired, disavowed, shamed, and permanently blacklisted. The company will be deemed in severe violation of the rules just for hiring them, even if they follow all other rules to the letter. They will be required to offer many sacrifices to the progressive cause in the form of financial donations, affirmative action hiring, and anything else the SJWs deem necessary.

Each one of these individual rules can be dismissed with "who cares," but when you put them all together you'd have to cram your head in the sand to ignore it. The slippery slope is real and we are rapidly sliding down it. All of these agenda items are either in progress or have been achieved; for example, notice how beautiful women have virtually disappeared from western gaming in the last few years. It's not an accident.

The key behind a lot of these rules is they rely on social pressure to intimidate companies into compliance. If you just tell the SJWs to fuck off, they have no power.

Of course many people will notice that most of the above rules have little to nothing to do with appealing to women and are very unlikely to boost sales. Getting more women into gaming is not the real goal, it's just a convenient lie to implement their agenda. Their goal is to vomit their dogma into everyone's mouth, everywhere, at all times; and to a lesser extent they want to ruin men's fun. It's not just gaming, these rules are being pushed on all forms of media and entertainment; just look at Star Wars. There can be no escape from the poz.

With Battletech the idea is there is so much hunger for a new battletech game players will ignore this stuff just to get it. But once the game is a success, the media and SJWs will attribute the success of the game to the progressive agenda, even though most people were unaware of it or ignored it. Future games will go whole-hog on progressiveness, sales will tank, and that will be it. No more battletech. Or game industry.

Iskramor

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
And the SJW stuff - which I could forgive if not for the above.

Sounds like the kind of game to buy on sale after a few years if they ever fix it.
Yes this game problems are much worse then sjwhoring

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
And once again: all this for no reason. Just let the player pick a male/female/monkey portrait and have the characters in game refer to them as "Commander". If you don't have the time to imagine how thousand years of time might have reshaped the way one might display their religion... then don't do a god damn lazy insert from modern day for the sake of "inclusivity".

Sexual orientation, gender pronouns, religion and people's ancient ancestry are not fucking relevant to MW.

Certainly the game has many bigger issues, but this kind of distractions do not help.

Also you gotta remember that "certain someone" is a tranny-loving bug chaser that flew all the way to US of A for SMA (just for that sweet taste of pre-op tranny cock). :troll:

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
People will say I am a conspiracy theorist

First I wanted to name you "a realist", but then...

but there doesn't have to be any grand plan to make this happen.

You are an optimist.

There is plan, which is clearly orchestrated.

So SJWs and feminists approach the industry by lying to appeal to their self-interest.

No, it doesn't work like this.
Big business can't be deceived, just as whole industry can't be decieved.
It's zealotry, that dismiss profit, all it want is prozelitize, moralize.
But those mouthfoaming zealots just a tool in hands of those who let them off the leash, and grew them in the first place.

Their goal is to vomit their dogma into everyone's mouth, everywhere, at all times; and to a lesser extent they want to ruin men's fun.

It is not. Their goal is to completely pull out white man from the culture, thus meaning death fro them, cultural and literal.
In India there are castes. There is pariah caste - they want white man to be worse than that.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
All I ever wanted as a BattleTech fan is a turn-based computer simulation of FASA's 3025 to 3055 BattleTech rules, with modernized graphics and either a sandbox style of play or a lengthly campaign. Something like the Crescent Hawk games or MechCommander Gold, but for today's computers, with better AI, and more faithful to the tabletop experience. Why can't I have such a simple thing? :(

I don't see the issue with the literal and actual tabletop rules. BattleTech is the most satisfying tabletop miniatures game I've ever played, hands down, and I spent many years as a young dweeb trying them all out.

Unlike the space, time, and money investment necessary for Warhammer/40k, you could paint about six minis, fold out a hex map (or part of one) nearly anywhere, give half of the minis to some friend, and have a blast with a pretty crunchy and enjoyable (and immersive-feeling) set of rules.

There's always MegaMek, which unfortunately isn't exactly lush in the graphics department.

I like MegaMek, but the AI is pretty bad. I suppose I can break out my old FASA campaign scenarios and just play through them in MegaMek. <shrug>
I didn't even know that Megamek has an option to play against AI.
I need to try it out someday.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom