Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News BattleTech Released

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
They won't learn.

That's all right though, because we have Slav and Japanese developers to deliver some incline in the meantime.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I dont care about the politics, or whatever accusedly sjw pandering, but are the problems with the mechanics/gameplay fixable with patches or it is hopeless hard coded shit like the initiative in divinity os 2 ?

aratuk

Cipher
I wonder if GOG will make HBS / Paradox shut down the online-only DRM content.

But they're also letting them get away with having BATTLETECH in all caps. Doesn't bode well for the future.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
As much as the game looks interesting (also I loved Dragonfall), lack of blonde hair notwithstanding, Paradox being the publisher makes me unwilling to devote any significant amount of money towards this.

Filed under "maybe check out after I run out of other games to play", i.e. probably never.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Are you guys so frightened of being in a game that contains the sheer possibility of a gay character that you think you're going to wake up in the morning with a cock in your mouth or something?

Seriously, who. gives. a. fuck.

I played and thoroughly enjoyed Bastard Bonds. It is pretty gay.

bastard_assorc.jpg

But it is also a good game, and puts the game first and foremost. The gay sex is something secondary, and feels natural for a prison island where it is set at.

Battletech is a shit game that tries to pander to the wrong audience. It also tries to force modern issues into a far future setting where it feels about as natural as a hijab in the year 3000.

And it doesn't even have muscular orc butts.

Sinatar

Arbiter
Are you guys so frightened of being in a game that contains the sheer possibility of a gay character that you think you're going to wake up in the morning with a cock in your mouth or something?

Battletech is a shit game that tries to pander to the wrong audience. It also tries to force modern issues into a far future setting where it feels about as natural as a hijab in the year 3000.

It doesn't "force" anything, it literally has an optional 3rd pronoun for you to use. Jesus Tapdancing Christ.

Black

Arcane

It doesn't "force" anything, it literally has an optional 3rd pronoun for you to use. Jesus Tapdancing Christ.
And guess what?
That's not normal outside of cucked North America.

Last edited:
You know the drill. In a month it will reach a playable state. In three it will add features that should've been in the game to start with. In six it will be a vastly superior game to the one at launch. I'm tired of this industry-wide fix it later attitude. I'm a customer, not a games tester.
yeah, but at this point I dont even try to play games anymore until they have been out about a year. With steam sales, I now have so many games i have not even played yet that I literally wont be able to play them all before I die.

This also means I just wait until the game I want is 75% off and buy it then. At that point I research the best mods and then play it. Honestly it actually works out better this way. I save money and let moders and the company make the game better than at release. If the game never reaches that stage, I just don't buy it..there are so many games now, its pointless to get that mad about it..

Last edited:
Tried it out yesterday, finished the first big mission. Racism issues aside, seems like a good effort. I haven't played the board game, so I can't comment on how close the combat system is copied, but so far it's fun enough. The positioning matters, there's bonuses for not standing still, it's quite easy to overheat, so important to choose which weapons to use when. From what I've heard, later the game opens into a sort of Mercenaries like choice of missions, which is really all I wanted story-wise.

I haven't encountered any bugs or crashes yet, although like I said, I only played for an hour or two.

Iskramor

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
yeah that was actually pretty odd. where is the blond hair? and also, no cute female faces only :prosper:

I called this ages ago.

This is SJWtech. The "oops, we ACCIDENTALLY forgot" lack of blonde hair, the lack of masculine male faces at character creation (according to some of the many negative reviews on Steam), sasquatch female faces, the female Muslim with a headscarf and multiple doctorates prominently displayed mid-dialogue on the Steam preview video/images marquee, and, well, the fact that Harebrained's staff are a bunch of SJWs. Unsurprisingly, even normies think the gameplay is also boring and too easy with waves of cannon fodder enemies.

Though, the main reason it's currently sitting at a Mixed rating on Steam seems to be that it's a buggy, crash-y, badly optimized pile of jank in no state to be released.

Anyway, this is where their little journey comes to a screeching halt. RIP :salute:

Official HBS forums are deleting posts about blonde hair and other "touchy" subjects.AAA is not destroying gaming left-wing extremism is.

Van-d-all

Erudite
Standin' pretty. In this dust that was a city.
Played around 5h. Steam reviews complain about bugs, but surprisingly I didn't encounter any, except one, where starting up the game didn't connect to Paradox account and the save files wouldn't show. Worked after game restart, but doesn't bode well.

Overall presentation is lacking. Music is nice, although monotonous, with tracks sounding overly stretched. Visuals are mediocre at best, and I have them all maxed out. UI tries to look slick, but ergonomically fails with stupidities like colours picked in sliders, and typically for Paradox games, various information bits are squeezed all over the place, varying from side tabs to tooltips. Contextual dialogue tooltips from Tyranny(?) are also here. 3d graphics, aside mechs, lack polish and detail, to the point that building models have textures looking like Front Mission 4 back in 2003. Mechs are slightly better, although game seems to be lacking any antialiasing whatsoever, so edges on everything are rough and pixelated @1080p. Colour palette is oversaturated, but I’ll try to pimp it up with ReShade later.

Character creation has some background fluff options, and it actually popped up in a dialogue, but didn't seem influential. Portraits are somewhat customizable, and I didn't find them overly ugly as some people claim, but that's because they're in line with generally lacklustre graphics. You can pick your pronoun, but it seems pointless simply allowing the choice of male or female portrait.

Character development consists of 4 skills valued 1-10. Most individual values provide minor passive bonus like +2,5% accuracy per point, levels 5 & 8 provide predefined trait, eg. Gunnery 5 gives Multi-Target. Successive levels cost more XP. Incredibly shallow, and probably the most disappointing part of the game for me.

Combat mechanics seem solid, but there are some issues. Every turn consists of 5 initiative phases, with said initiative affected by vehicle tonnage, pilot skills and status effects. Within a phase all factions take alternating turns, where any vehicle with given initiative can be chosen to move or wait to next phase. Unit move is pretty much 2AP, meaning move/jump + shoot or sprint. Melee combat is initiated through movement not attack, forcing it to take place from the nearest hex. Damage is directional and applied to specific mech parts. Buildings are destructible, forests provide cover, water reduces heat, and specific battlefields provide various modifiers like heat sink effectiveness. There’s a pilot morale factor, but it’s mostly used in a weird way – as a point pool for special abilities.

Combat presentation is murky and lacks some basic functionalities like turning the camera around with mouse buttons, cancelling move order before rotation is chosen in a convenient way, or closing unit information panels. Range feedback is non-existent aside from simple line of fire marker – there are no weapon overlays for player mechs, let alone enemy units.

Combat flow is extremely sluggish. Similarly to the last Space Hulk remake, every action is awfully slow while it plays it’s animation at a glacial pace, and there is no way to change the speed nor cancel it. Action camera pops up from time to time trying to alleviate the issue somewhat, and it’s frequency can be tweaked, but it doesn’t really help much.

Mech customization is mostly satisfactory. Aside from the stupid fact, that mech upkeep is independent of its tonnage, everything costs time and/or money, even adding and removing parts. That fact, while reasonable, also makes management somewhat cumbersome, because parts can’t just be stripped off all units and then reshuffled freely. Parts can be salvaged or bought and store availability depends on star system. Component placement on mechs is limited by tonnage, slots and pylon types. Engines can’t be changed (I think).

With the little time I played, the plot, while generic (blah blah betrayal) has been entertaining so far, and interestingly enough, the first “opponent” are the international banks, to whom the player company owes its debts. I didn’t feel like SJW agenda is being pushed upon me in dialogue, although Magistracy of Canopus seems to be mentioned more often than it deserves.

Last edited:

Viata

Arcane
Japanese developers to deliver some incline in the meantime.
And to this day I still ask why games like Jagged Alliance 2 was not successful in Japan.
Even with turn-based mode(based on Wizardry), they made thousands of different kinds of turn-based one(although just differents kind of Wizardry turn-based battle).
Even if Japan made games full of lolis, if the gameplay was just like JA2(or different kind of tactical), that would be worth every loli in those game. :negative:

Last edited:

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
yeah that was actually pretty odd. where is the blond hair? and also, no cute female faces only :prosper:

I called this ages ago.

This is SJWtech. The "oops, we ACCIDENTALLY forgot" lack of blonde hair, the lack of masculine male faces at character creation (according to some of the many negative reviews on Steam), sasquatch female faces, the female Muslim with a headscarf and multiple doctorates prominently displayed mid-dialogue on the Steam preview video/images marquee, and, well, the fact that Harebrained's staff are a bunch of SJWs. Unsurprisingly, even normies think the gameplay is also boring and too easy with waves of cannon fodder enemies.

Though, the main reason it's currently sitting at a Mixed rating on Steam seems to be that it's a buggy, crash-y, badly optimized pile of jank in no state to be released.

Anyway, this is where their little journey comes to a screeching halt. RIP :salute:

Official HBS forums are deleting posts about blonde hair and other "touchy" subjects.AAA is not destroying gaming left-wing extremism is.
Can I create a character looking like this:
Ranna_Kerenksy.jpg

That's Ranna Kerensky, granddaughter of Natasha.

The reason I am asking is because the game crashes to desktop every time I try to start a campaign. Nice. Really getting my money's worth.

Tancred

Learned
I dont care about the politics, or whatever accusedly sjw pandering, but are the problems with the mechanics/gameplay fixable with patches or it is hopeless hard coded shit like the initiative in divinity os 2 ?

:lol:

I haven't seen such a brilliant 1-2 succession of posts that so perfectly encapsulates the state of affairs today in quite a while. First the proud centrist cuck sitting on his fence cos he's above politics, followed up by the SJW bugman projecting his fantasies of having a dick in his mouth onto everyone else who doesn't go along with the ideology. Bravo!

:bravo:

ArchAngel

Arcane
Let me report that I almost failed the first tutorial mission on their default difficulty :D
It says all your mechs must survive and AI got lucky with hitting CT of one of them. It blew up the armor and left structure at 2 points. For the rest of the mission that mech kept guarding the rear :D

So I would say the difficulty of the game is kind of OK . I don't remember almost failing first mission of UFO on medium difficulty.

EDIT: Then on second missions my main guy managed to get 2 out of 3 injuries putting him in a hospital bed for 20 days or so. Also his mech was damaged a fair bit but without any lost parts.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Japanese developers to deliver some incline in the meantime.
And to this day I still ask why games like Jagged Alliance 2 was not successful in Japan.
Even with turn-based mode(based on Wizardry), they made thousands of different kinds of turn-based one(although just differents kind of Wizardry turn-based battle).
Even if Japan made games full of lolis, if the gameplay was just like JA2(or different , that would be worth every loli in those game. :negative:

valkyra chronicles was shit full of cancerous anime trope and crap but it was a great game, i can bypass it and have fun still.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
I haven't seen such a brilliant 1-2 succession of posts that so perfectly encapsulates the state of affairs today in quite a while. First the proud centrist cuck sitting on his fence cos he's above politics, followed up by the SJW bugman projecting his fantasies of having a dick in his mouth onto everyone else who doesn't go along with the ideology. Bravo!
i am not above politics and while it is true i am a centrist, because simply i am smart enough to realize the farther the pendulum swings, the more extreme the beliefs get. Call us sitting on the fence if you want, but realize being on the fence means you get a good vantage point of both lawns while the other below are blinded by their own grasses without any perspective even for their own.

Both far left and far right are equally dumb, and of course most of them dont realize how similar they are.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom