Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter BattleTech Pre-Release Thread

Xeon

Augur
[citation needed]

Sorry, the post of me asking about it doesn't seem to be available anymore, maybe deleted because it was an off topic post or something. But iirc Fairfax was the one who posted the number of sales so he/she might still know.

Sykar

Arcane
Also why there is no planes,when there is starships?
There are, ones that can operate both in atmosphere and space no less, they are usually just swept under the rug or otherwise hidden in the closet because the BattleMech's status doesn't survive closer scrutiny.

I never got why the human race degenerated that much to use inefficient mechs. In our century we have a lot better weaponry than the one in the game. A single bomber could fuck them over,seeing how they can't hit shit with laser from 100 meters. I do get it that to-hit-chance is there for a game reason. Still it kind off feels unrealistic as fuck.
That's usually why mecha tend to have magical powers. The only magical powers that BattleMechs got are ignoring recoil and weight distribution, which while impressive in their defiance of laws of physics don't quite begin to justify why the BattleMech is treated as the be-all-end-all weapon.

That is because people love giant robots, simple as that and I am sure you actually know it. :P

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Naturally, point is more in regards to the legwork for suspension of disbelief. Which is to say there's an insufficiency of magical powers for the giant robots. To justify the supremacy of giant robots beyond them being by principle cooler, an easy step for example would be to rename tonnage to whatever else that isn't a measurement for mass, and then hardcap all non-mech warmachines at, say, 5 tons equivalent. There's plenty of more elaborate bullshit excuses to be made for why giant robots > everything else, but even something that simply would be preferable to just trying to ignore the elephant in the room.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Also why there is no planes,when there is starships?
There are, ones that can operate both in atmosphere and space no less, they are usually just swept under the rug or otherwise hidden in the closet because the BattleMech's status doesn't survive closer scrutiny.

I never got why the human race degenerated that much to use inefficient mechs. In our century we have a lot better weaponry than the one in the game. A single bomber could fuck them over,seeing how they can't hit shit with laser from 100 meters. I do get it that to-hit-chance is there for a game reason. Still it kind off feels unrealistic as fuck.
That's usually why mecha tend to have magical powers. The only magical powers that BattleMechs got are ignoring recoil and weight distribution, which while impressive in their defiance of laws of physics don't quite begin to justify why the BattleMech is treated as the be-all-end-all weapon.

That is because people love giant robots, simple as that and I am sure you actually know it. :P
And the source material is pretty old. That is why i am a little bit on the fence when comes to recreating PnP rules on the pc. Still the game looks promising and fun.
Vaarna_Aarne,i was going for satirical pointing out of the illogical things in the game. I do agree that mechs are pretty useless peace of metal.

almondblight

Arcane
After all this cemetery filled with games killed by slow animation and lack of animation speed settings, you would believe they would stop doing that... I really hate it when a game requires me to use a speed hack to play properly.

According to reports, it's also made worse by HBS decisions to send you against 8 weak and idiotic mechs instead of simply going against 4 strong mechs with decent AI - doubling the amount of time spent watching enemy animations, but not increasing the difficulty. They did the same thing with SRHK (trying to increase the challenge by throwing more trash mobs at you instead of more challenging enemies). My guess is that some higher-up at HBS thinks that players want to feel powerful by letting them kill a lot of things, but this approach just makes the game much slower and more boring (at least, that was the result in SRHK).

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
After all this cemetery filled with games killed by slow animation and lack of animation speed settings, you would believe they would stop doing that... I really hate it when a game requires me to use a speed hack to play properly.

According to reports, it's also made worse by HBS decisions to send you against 8 weak and idiotic mechs instead of simply going against 4 strong mechs with decent AI - doubling the amount of time spent watching enemy animations, but not increasing the difficulty. They did the same thing with SRHK (trying to increase the challenge by throwing more trash mobs at you instead of more challenging enemies). My guess is that some higher-up at HBS thinks that players want to feel powerful by letting them kill a lot of things, but this approach just makes the game much slower and more boring (at least, that was the result in SRHK).
Guys,are you saying that you can't disable/speedup the animations?! Such heresy should be burned!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom