Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter BattleTech Pre-Release Thread

mutonizer

Arcane
Patron
We're probably going to get blacklisted by HBS after I newspost this. :P
Maybe Vaarna_Aarne can tell us how BattleTech treats ethnic ancestry.

Why would they, they are the retards and racists here, and they are not even hiding it.

Sane normal non racist people do NOT list 2+ "ancestry" on EVERY single character panel!! "He's a dude, she's a dude, they're dudes". Done.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Does HBS even know that fucking Egypt was conquered an settled by many different civiliations and cultures over a few thousand years and what exist today is alot different from 6000 years ago? Imagine that fucking thousands of years on the future? Do they think civilizations and people would remain stable especially after fucking interplanetary expansion? Fuck, the ignorant rule the world. Egyptian ancestry? Fucking Maori ancestry? It is very sketchy that someone would care an USA existed at some point, even worse at the fucking Maori.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
From reading some BattleTech wikis, there is mention of different planets being settled by people from different ethnic origins and races. And of course the setting's major factions are obvious references (House Davion - American, House Steiner - European, House Kurita - Japanese, House Liao - Chinese). But I'm not sure how aware everyday people in the setting are of that stuff.

Last edited:

mutonizer

Arcane
Patron
From reading some BattleTech wikis, there is mention of different planets being settled by people from different ethnic origins and races. And of course the setting's major factions are obvious references (House Davion - American, House Steiner - European, House Kurita - Japanese, House Liao - Chinese). But I'm not sure how aware everyday people in the setting are aware or care about that stuff.

Yea but they clearly are using it as a genetic marker, not cultural.

Something like "born and raised within the Davion sphere, he blablabla", "raised in pure Kurita tradition, she bblablabla" would be just fine. Brings up the lore, if you don't know it, you go and check on the net. Then you get the drawing for the mental image, and a text for what they do now. Done.

This "quota-filling-ramdownyourthroat" bullshit is just insulting and shows how their diseased minds work, which isn't really "Hype" friendly...

Unwanted
Queued Shitposter
WOW ... I mean Wow ... Chinks niggers and cunts ...

When they came for the indies I didnt care cause I am past NES
When they came for the ArPeeGees I didnt care because I am not a retarded story fag
And now they came for Tactikewl gaymes...

Whats next? Tabletop wargaming and taking Stalingrad with your niggress troops?

veevoir

Klytus, I'm bored
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
Jesus christ, it's like none of you ever saw Star Trek.

Just quickly - where does star trek give you 2+ ancestral origins to show how inclusive crew is? Some folks in STwere white, some yellow, some black, some mixed. And nobody gave a fuck or mentioned it because everyone considered it normal.

That's how you do incloosive. Not by "look at all those incloosive characteristics!" in your face approach. The more you need to indicate inclusiveness the worse is the effect.

Weasel
From reading some BattleTech wikis, there is mention of different planets being settled by people from different ethnic origins and races. And of course the setting's major factions are obvious references (House Davion - American, House Steiner - European, House Kurita - Japanese, House Liao - Chinese). But I'm not sure how aware everyday people in the setting are aware or care about that stuff.

They do, and Battletech was always 'diverse', with a lot of Asian influences in particular. And the major factions are described in terms of broad ethnic groupings who live in their various regions, with some mixing too, obviously. But this thing with every single character as an oddly-specific exotic dna cocktail is taking things to a new level - probably handwaved with some lore about the part of the periphery they're at. And yet if you threw these mixes they listed together in a remote part of the periphery within a few generations most people would be a blend of just about everything instead of calling themselves Maori/South African or whatever.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

They do, and Battletech was always 'diverse', with a lot of Asian influences in particular. And the major factions are described in terms of broad ethnic groupings who live in their various regions, with some mixing too, obviously. But this thing with every single character as an oddly-specific exotic dna cocktail is taking things to a new level - probably handwaved with some lore about the part of the periphery they're at. And yet if you threw these mixes they listed together in a remote part of the periphery within a few generations most people would be a blend of just about everything instead of calling themselves Maori/South African or whatever.

Maybe the artists just wanted to show their work. Ie, "We decided to make the Espinosas look like a mix of South Africans and Spanish". So it's not really their identity in the world of the game but that's how they were visually designed.

mutonizer

Arcane
Patron
Jesus christ, it's like none of you ever saw Star Trek.

You do know that most non "standard European caucassian" characters in Star Trek are only there to artificially fill quotas right? Even Sulu was meant to embody ALL Asians and Chekov was only there to not piss of Russia too much and the black chick was the chick and the black all in one. It's the most racist PG quota bullshit you could come up with at that time. Today, they'd need a fat dude and a handicap as well, probably one of them gay.

Sorry but Star Trek original is not a good "counter-example" to this level of retardation.

Maybe the artists just wanted to show their work. Ie, "We decided to make the Espinosas look like a mix of South Africans and Spanish". So it's not so much that that's their identity in the world of the game but that's what they were visually modelled after.

Yea that'd be a "postitive" guess. It's too neat though, too presentable, and it's in their PR campaign...So it's approved as a message, which brings us back to the stupidity of it :)

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Maybe the artists just wanted to show their work. Ie, "We decided to make the Espinosas look like a mix of South Africans and Spanish". So it's not really their identity in the world of the game but that's how they were visually designed.

Yes, and they did a pretty good job at it which is funny, because as the ultra-liberals they are, they surely reject the idea that a "Finn" has to look like a "Finn".

Last edited:

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Well, at least this thread managed to get me hyped for Shock Tactic. Seems interesting.

As for this here...Aside the generic character listing, these "ancestry" info are retarded, so much so that they are even a bit insulting.
Ancestry is either parents in a culture way, or genetic way. In culture way, what the fuck is "Spanish" in the 30th+ century and in the genetic way, Spanish means nothing whatsoever either. Listing not one but two or even three for every single of these characters is just completely moronic and, sadly, they look too PR polished to be forgotten left overs for the art team.
¡HASTA SIEMPRE COMMANDANTE!

Unwanted
Queued Shitposter
Oh wait, I didnt know that the game is supposed to take place around House Arano and Espinoza. Now I dont have a problem with brown cast. Separate but equal!

The "Egyptian/Portugese" stuff is absolutely retarded still.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

Yes, and they did a pretty good job at it which is funny, because as the ultra-liberals they are, they are surely reject the idea that a "Finn" has to look like a "Finn".

Character concept artists and casting directors - two of the most obliviously politically incorrect professions.

My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Battletech has always been pretty diverse, but a lot of the conflicts are driven by the fact that space colonization was done by various earth nations which means whole chunks of space are considered Hindu or Swedish or French Catholic. I guess the characters are a bunch of periphery dwelling scum, but at the very least they could have based the ethnicity on stuff in the actual setting. The part of space they are setting it in is stuck between space USSR/Red China, space 80's Hong Kong, and space Greece/Frontier Colonial USA(The Taurian Concordat is weird since I think it was supposed to be ancient Greece in space initially, but for plot reasons became the anti Earth government, anti tax, dusty frontier worlds area). So any sort of Chinese/Orthodox Slav sorta mix could work for characters, but instead we get stuff like Egyptian/Portuguese?

So much wasted youth on dumb Battletech sourcebooks :negative:

Edit:

Worse than that they have Iran and Brazil as ethnicities when in the sourcebooks Brazil lead a revolt against a single earth government and got put down for their troubles and Irans Ayatollahs declared space travel as absolutely haram for a long ass time so Iranians missed the first few colonization waves and never got anywhere (Gotta remember this was first written up as fluff in the early 80s, although I could see them retconing that one if they ever go for a Space Persia of some sort.)

Last edited:

twincast

Learned
Patron
In My Safe Space
The ancestry listings are for the most part (arguably excluding the nobles) needlessly pedantic (and most probably incomplete), yes, but, by His Noodliness, it doesn't hurt anyone! Or anything. No need for butthurt.

Last edited:

Fry

Arcane
Ehhh... not a follower of Battletech but why define ancestry on terrestrial terms? Who fucking cares about earth diversity? A guy that grew up on another planet has zero in common with you.

lawl... so much triggering going on here.

Here's an example for you. For the most part, Americans really do care about little piece of Europe, Asia, or wherever their ancestors came from. Does it actually matter at all? No. But they still care. Humans like to divide up into little tribes. Logic has nothing to do with it.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
My only gripe with this is that they had to go with the most common Finnish surname, low effort. I don't think this game has as cynical approach to catering for diversity as Hollywood when casting a black Heimdall, for instance.

It's pretty common or space faring people to care for their ancestry is pretty common in scifi, check out Eon for example, iirc Hyperion has that stuff as well.

Last edited:

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
The ancestry listings are for the most part (arguably excluding the nobles) needlessly pedantic (and most probably incomplete), yes, but, by His Noodliness, it doesn't hurt anyone! Or anything. No need for butthurt.
safespace.png

twincast is Ignoring...
#
Username Posts
1 anus_pounder 5,722
2 aratuk 144
3 ArchAngel 5,307
4 Archibald 4,059
5 Arkeus 1,353
6 AstroZombie 1,041
7 AwesomeButton 1,548
8 Bester 1,865
9 Black 10,085
10 Black_Willow 3,374
11 Bobbix 12
12 Boleskine 935
13 bonescraper 4,458
14 Boxer 132
15 Brother None 5,621
16 Brotherman Bill 6,139
17 Brzęczyszczykiewicz 952
18 Bumvelcrow 1,311
19 Burning Bridges 13,432
20 Cadmus 3,449
21 Caim 6,280
22 Chaotic_Heretic 2,452
23 circ 10,779
24 Corporate_Jew_Master 6,020
25 corvus 3,936
26 cpmartins 74
27 crawlkill 673
28 CruduxCruo 70
29 Daedalos 659
30 Daemongar 2,181
31 dnf 5,885
32 DosBuster 1,615
33 DragoFireheart 20,684
34 Drakron 5,551
35 Drax 8,232
36 Ed123 11,428
37 eremita 797
38 Excidium II 10,697
39 Fairfax 1,926
40 FeelTheRads 9,811
41 Fenix 1,355
42 fizzelopeguss 11,733
43 Frusciante 425
44 GarfunkeL 14,864
45 Goral 923
46 granit 127
47 Gregz 4,439
48 Grim Monk 1,080
49 Grimlorn 5,313
50 Grotesque 1,582
51 Hegel 3,274
52 Higher Animal 1,584
53 holla_cabezas_de_mierda 282
54 Humanity has risen! 11,183
55 IHaveHugeNick 1,398
56 Illuvatard 226
57 Immortal 3,015
58 imweasel 2,708
59 Intinium 1,695
60 Invictus 1,749
61 Irenaeus 22,098
62 Irenaeus II 3,251
63 Irenaeus III 990
64 Irenaeus IV 0
65 Irenaeus VI 16
66 Ismaul 1,125
67 Jack 3,862
68 Jaklon 317
69 janjetina 3,788
70 Jarpie 3,233
71 jdinatale 346
72 just janior pretty pretty please. 601
73 justincz 55
74 J_C 11,897
75 kain30 246
76 Kalin 2,571
77 Kattze 4,726
78 Kem0sabe 7,900
79 KevinV12000 506
80 Lady Error 6,489
81 likaq 1,198
82 Lurker King 2,104
83 Makabb 4,838
84 Manjuice Nutella 4,887
85 Mastermind 16,453
86 Matalarata 945
87 Metro 24,655
88 Mexi 370
89 mondblut 10,348
90 Mortmal 3,829
91 Mustawd 6,915
92 Neckbeard Shitlord 3,399
93 NeoKino 114
94 Night Goat 6,919
95 nomask7 7,556
96 Norfleet 6,558
97 Nugs 126
98 Onholyservicebound 1,559
99 pbdt 32
100 Perkel 6,276
101 Phantasmal 4,454
102 PhantasmaNL 1,091
103 Popiel 301
104 PorkaMorka 4,694
105 praetor 2,496
106 prodigydancer 1,073
107 Profane Geometer 0
108 racofer 19,515
109 Ranselknulf 5,086
110 Renegen 3,910
111 roshan 2,120
112 Save Versus Stupid 20
113 Saxon1974 1,976
114 Schizophrenic monolog 136
115 scytheavatar 5
116 Seari 570
117 shihonage 6,077
118 Silva 1,094
119 Sjukob 398
120 Smashing Axe 2,574
121 Somberlain 3,734
122 Space Satan 2,494
123 Spooky Skellington 16,735
124 Stabwound 3,230
125 Stainless Veteran 2,733
126 TalesfromtheCrypt 3,753
127 taxalot 4,478
128 TeknoBM 253
129 The Brazilian Slaughter 18,357
130 Tommy Wiseau 8,629
131 trais 2,367
132 tyrannosaurus rex 3,062
133 Volourn 19,996
134 Volrath 2,944
135 warpig 2,755
136 whysoserious 108
137 xemous 1,140
138 Zarniwoop 6,516
139 Zewp 3,469
140 _____ 249

:M

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Pfffft, the real reason of this is just to make sure nobody goes to look at the ancient BTech character art. Specifically, the in equal parts unfortunate and completely hilarious portraits of House Kurita (and others) cosplaying Tokyo Kid.

PS: Should they make BattleTech 2 (or insert-subtitle-whatever) and have it set in the Clan Invasion and/or Operation Bulldog and/or Operation Scorpion, I demand Kickstarter stretch goal for hiring David Hayter to voice Frederic Steiner Anastasius Focht Big Boss.

We're probably going to get blacklisted by HBS after I newspost this. :P

Maybe Vaarna_Aarne can tell us how BattleTech treats ethnic ancestry.
Well, most I can remember off hand is that because BattleTech takes place generally one thousand years in the future where it's been several hundred years since the collapse of the interstellar government of the Star League (though in a way it's wrong to describe Star League as a unitary government, it was more like a council of the Great Houses and the SLDF the common military organization), and nearly a thousand years since the first planetary government of Earth began the colonization of space.

Probably the best comparison would be the fairly obvious of Dune, because just like geopolitics (astropolitics?) ethnicity in BattleTech is decidedly POST-EARTH as well. Though not quite to the extent of Dune where human culture and religion has dramatically changed by environment, time, and distance, in BattleTech while language and culture exist and in some cases lead to unintentionally comical theme park worlds like the all-Japanese world of New Kyoto, a more decisive factor than ethnic or linguistic identity is the political identity which is to say the allegiance to the superculture or superethnos identity of any of the interstellar states whether small game on the periphery or Great Houses' empires, or lack of thereof in case of mercenaries. A spanner to these workings is when you factor in the Clans who are decidedly Post-Earth in culture and identity, which would eventually lead us to the Rasalhague Dominion which is the first fusion state of an Inner Sphere colonial state (the short-lived Free Rasalhague Republic) and a Clan, and is culturally a terrifying mixture of Scandianavia in Space and Japan in Space.

My only gripe with this is that they had to go with the most common Finnish surname
Yea we finally get into a space game and of course it's a fucking Virtanen.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom