Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter BattleTech Pre-Release Thread

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Big anniversary update: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/webeharebrained/battletech/posts/1694756

Happy Anniversary, MechWarriors!
Can you believe that it was one year ago today that you funded our Kickstarter Alpha Strike in53 minutes, raising over $1,000,000 in just 24 hours?

599efc8bc87e4d5aab6df58489c49fb0_original.png

We were blown away by your support, not just financially, but also by your passion for the BattleTech universe and everything it means to you. We’re working hard to live up to your expectations for the game and can’t wait to get it in your hands next year!

Development Update
So, what’s the team been up to since GenCon? In a word, EVERYTHING. Seriously. Not only did we get right back to work on the combat experience - finishing up features like melee, MechWarrior abilities, airstrikes, and more - but we’ve been busy spinning up on ‘Mech production, environment art production, map design, multiplayer, story development, and last but not least, breaking ground on development on the “simulation game” (which is our internal term to describe all the fun aspects of managing your Mercenary outfit in-between combat missions).

Whew!

Our spring and summer summer were all about two things: 1) Turning our early combat prototype into a complete, fun, and robust combat experience, and 2) Getting all of our systems, pipelines and architecture in place for full content production on the game. Objective #1 was proven out by the #SuperPreAlpha (thanks again to everyone who watched the Backer video or was able to play it at GenCon and PAX!) Objective #2 has taken a little bit longer to solidify, but I’m pleased to report that we’re also turning that corner this month into content production in all areas of the game. This is one of the great challenges of game development - sometimes one team is furiously trying to finish building the car while other teams are simultaneously trying to paint and test drive it.

To continue with the weird car analogy, I really couldn’t be more proud of this team and feel like everyone is really firing on all cylinders. Jordan and Mitch and I would like to give a particular shoutout here to our engineering team though, they have been absolutely crushing it in their efforts to get a huge amount of features into the game quickly while maintaining a quality, scalable codebase.

We expect to be back with one more Kickstarter update towards the end of 2016 including another progress update and some Kickstarter Beta details. After that, expect our KS updates to slow down a bit as production ramps WAY up.

Until then!
Mike

Meet the Team Guest-Star: Duane Loose
99fb330529bc9fc3f747ebf846deb895_original.png

1984 – I’m working as an Industrial Designer in the Boston area. A friend of mine from design school, Dave Deitrick, contacts me about a possible freelance job designing/drawing 30-meter tall vertical tanks. Not really understanding what that means, I’m soon connected with Jordan Weisman who introduces me to Battletech and explains what he’s looking for a Technical Readout illustrating the units in a way not previously seen. I’m excited, intrigued and commit to draw a Battlemech as a test to see if I can do it.

Since my early days as a designer I’ve been fascinated by the way industrial design principles have been applied to the design of machines in Science Fiction universes. The production design work of Joe Johnston in the original Star Wars, as documented in the first sketchbooks featuring his artwork, was specifically inspiring. When Jordan told me of his idea to create a Technical Readout detailing the machines of the Battletech universe, I embraced the opportunity to learn how to design ‘mechs and to grow as an artist.

After Jordan explained the basic technical specifications of a Battlemech, I started sketching. It took about a week to find my “way” of approaching the design of the mech. My sketching process was the one I’d used (and continue to use) as an Industrial Designer – a rough underlay to establish proportion, scale and perspective, then using that underlay for a final sketch. I focused on visual cues to show function – joints, gears, engine nacelles, weapon details, and so forth – all designed to detail accurate, though imaginary, engineering. I wanted to show “real” technology – or at least a plausible version of “real”. I finished the first sketch and sent it off to Jordan for review. The ‘mech was Hatchetman, the first of many mechs and vehicles I would draw and design over the next 10 years.

In the years since my last Battletech project in 1994, I watched, with interest and pride, the success and growth of the Battletech universe. Fast forward to 2015, Jordan contacted me, in November, to see if I had some time to help out with a new Battletech game specifically the redesign of some of the units I’d helped create decades ago. I was soon introduced to Mike McCain and we began our collaboration on the redesign of the first two: Striker and the J. Edgar. Mike’s direction was to make the units feel more reflective of current military design ideas while still retaining the intent, spirit and design of the originals - to make the units more believable. What a great and rare opportunity to learn how to achieve that ideal and, once again, to grow as an artist.

When Mike asked me to write about what it’s like to be able to rework some of the units I’d designed so long ago, my initial answer and feeling was “It’s Awesome and very gratifying!” Especially being a part of Mike’s team and making another contribution to a universe worthy of devotion.

As designers we live with our work forever. What we create, especially in the internet age, lives on, often unexpectedly, to our credit and our critique. To have my name associated with Battletech has always been a blessing for which I am grateful. This association has created many opportunities to connect with designers and artists who grew up playing Battletech and enjoying the art from so many of my amazing Battletech artist colleagues. They inspired me then, as they do today.

I often tell my students that drawing 100 ‘mechs and machines, in three months, for the first technical readout, is where I really learned how to draw. The experience working in the Battletech universe paved the way for my career as an art director and production designer in game development and animated film production. I still look at many of the drawings of mechs I’ve done and think of them as some of the best work in my career. The Atlas for example and definitely the Hatchetman my first ‘Mech.

I say thank you, once again, to Jordan who took a chance in 1984 and gave me the opportunity to be a Battletech artist, then and now. I’m excited for you to see the redesigned units we’ve created and look forward to the success of the game.

Sincere regards,
Duane “Dr.D” Loose
Lake Elsinore, CA

I had an absolute blast working with Duane on the new vehicle designs, and I love where he was able to take these designs, refreshing the art while retaining the spirit of the original designs - much like Piranha was able to accomplish with their great ‘Mech design updates for MWO. Here’s an example of his concept art for the Striker Light Tank and the resulting in-game unit made by the talented Maury Weiss. We’ve got many more classic BattleTech vehicles heading into production soon based on Duane’s designs, and I’m excited for you all to see them in game next year!

- Mike

In Other News
See You in Vancouver for Mech_Con this December!
We’ll be heading up to the Commodore Ballroom in Vancouver for Mech_Con on Saturday, December 3rd. It’s a special one-day event dedicated to the celebration of BattleTech hosted by Piranha Games.

Mech_Con is a full day of BATTLETECH with Catalyst Game Labs running play-sessions throughout the day and Pirahna’s Grand Finals of the MechWarrior Online World Championship Tournament.

Jordan, Mitch, and Mike will be there doing presentations and panels, a couple of Q&A sessions, signing autographs AND we’ll be bringing the game for folks to play. They’d love to meet you, so come join them and other members of the Dev Team!

PAX West 2016
It’s hard to believe it’s been less than a month since PAX West. What a whirlwind! Showing the BATTLETECH #SuperPreAlpha demo (the same one we showed at GenCon) in our own backyard was a blast as was meeting so many Backers (and seeing so many of you wearing Kickstarter swag)!

d8fa038ee9becc271e8de9fc6245a953_original.JPG

509f7fdd54c28d8ac4282424a7c64ede_original.JPG

434f7651394f78712295864143f4d495_original.JPG

87cd9aacaa31eba58676094445fa361d_original.JPG

And, in case you didn’t catch them, here are a few interviews and gameplay videos that came out around PAX from GeekWire, Polygon, and PCGamer.

Kickstarter Reward Update
If you’re in the United States: The last of the United States bound Jacket + Heraldry shipments left the warehouse late last week and you should have received an email with your tracking information. If you haven’t, please contact us.

If you are NOT in the United States: This week, the warehouse really pounced on the international-bound shipments with a vengeance -- and blasted out 63% of our international orders so far! We have around 300 packages left to go which should ship over the next week.

A few reminders:
---The following countries are all benefiting from the upgraded shipping with door-to-door tracking: Canada, Great Britain, Germany, Mexico, South Korea, Japan, Australia, and New Zealand

---Total transit for international shipping is typically between 3-4 weeks + customs time

---If you are getting static from customs about declared values or showing your Kickstarter receipt, contact us, because we have some extra paperwork to provide that might help you.

September BATTLETECH Q&A
Our September BATTLETECH Q&A focused on “how the sausage is made” as Mitch and Jordan like to put it. Lots of great questions asked and lots of answers given about making choices when creating a game. You can find all the BATTLETECH Q&A’s along with the BattleTech Charity Beard-Off here.

And, just a quick heads up, after our October Q&A, we’re going to take a break as we head into full production and then the holidays. We’ll come back in January and continue with the Q&A’s on a bi-monthly basis instead of every month. We really enjoy answering questions and interacting with the community live but we need to stay focused and heads down while we’re in full production mode.

But, the Dev Team will still be around to answer questions on the BATTLETECH Forums and we encourage you to join the conversation there!

That's all for now!

- HBS

ArchAngel

Arcane
I hope they make a lot of premade maps or they are going to run into same problems Xcom 1 did

Last edited:
Unwanted

Bésame Mucho

Unwanted
Fook!!! Its basically guaranteed now that youll be fighting on the same maps multiple times... FUCK!

rezaf

Cipher
Always funny how the things they did in the 1990s seem impossible for todays developers using todays technology. Sometimes it feels like we are in the dark ages after the fall of the Roman Empire.

*-*/\--/\~

Cipher
I think every TB tactical game should buy this technology from these guys and incorporate it into their games:

If i saw this ingame without knowing it's a "feature", I'd report it as a bug with stuck bullets. Trying too hard to make kids feel good by letting them watch pretty explosions longer, no thanks.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Right, now which of the available mechs is good for straight up melee and nothing else?

fastjack

Augur
There aren't really melee only mechs in battletech, even if something like the hatchetman looks like a badass melee combatant it isn't really how the game works (except for the whole everybody rucking each others legs off thing that sometimes develops halfway into a battle, man kicking with an above average pilot is way too good imo).

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
New update - characters and companions! https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/webeharebrained/battletech/posts/1745111

Introducing the Main Characters of our Mercenary Story + Merch, MechCon, & More...

Hey everyone, Mitch here!

Wow, it’s December already! It’s shocking how time flies when you throw yourself into making video games and I think I can speak for the whole studio when I ask, “Where did the time go?” (BTW the answer is, “In the game!”) It’s been awhile since our last update because (as we mentioned last time) we’ve had our heads-down on a major milestone and this is our first chance to come up for air. I know that last time we said you should expect one more Kickstarter update before the end of the year but the team’s been making so much progress in so many areas simultaneously that we decided that we had to write two.

Along with all the great stuff we’ve been working on, the team has been refining our BattleTech story (similar to our process on the Shadowrun series) and we’re itching to share our cast of characters with you. So today’s update is focused on introducing you to some of the main characters and factions of our single-player campaign, as well as some info about the Backer Beta and a couple of announcements. In our final (and I mean it) update of the year, we’ll give you a nice overview of our production progress and maybe a few little surprises.

CAST OF CHARACTERS
For the purpose of making introductions, we're taking you three years beyond the point where our June Campaign Setting Details update left off, into the thick of a conflict that threatens to tear the Aurigan Reach apart. The bios and descriptions below could all be considered MILD SPOILERS - they occur after the inciting events of the game's Prologue chapter - so if you'd like to remain completely spoiler-free, you may want to skip reading this section.For everyone else: let's meet the main cast of BATTLETECH!

The Restoration

In late 3022, control of the Aurigan Coalition was forcefully seized by the old regime's longtime ally, House Espinosa. The rightful High Lady, Kamea Arano, managed to escape the coup and disappear into the Rimward Frontier. Working in secret, she began sowing the seeds for her own return to power: the Arano Restoration, a liberating army with the clandestine support of the Magistracy of Canopus.

(Click for full size image.)

The Directorate

When House Espinosa seized control of the Aurigan Coalition, they subjugated the Founding Houses and conscripted their House militias into a standing army. Under Espinosa leadership, the realm has been reformed into the Directorate, an authoritarian power with strong ties to the Taurian Concordat.

Mercenaries

The flight and command crew of your own mercenary outfit, these hardened veterans work behind the scenes to keep your MechWarriors fighting and the C-Bills rolling in.

In our story, you’ll interact with your mercenary crew on the Argo, along with various major personages from the Aurigan Reach. Over the course of the single-player campaign, you'll get to know these characters via personal conversations, crew briefings, and story cinematics. And of course, they'll also be communicating with you in-mission while your lance is deployed as seen in our Super-Pre-Alpha gameplay video.

MERCH! MERCH! MERCH!
That’s right, merch baby! Negotiations have concluded and we’re extremely pleased to announce that HBS has secured a license from The Topps Company (who own the intellectual property rights for physical goods) to create and sell a limited amount of BattleTech merchandise. We are also excited to say that we will be working with Piranha Games on this effort, so the merchandise line will support both the video games and the complete BattleTech timeline (yup, including the Clans).

Since we will be offering a limited amount of merchandise, we want each item to be as special as it can be. Therefore, we’re focusing on high quality items which are either artifacts from the BattleTech/MechWarrior universe or sophisticated celebrations of the franchise. The Kickstarter Backers heraldry kit and flight jacket rewards represent the level of detail and quality you can expect from all the items we offer.

In order to ensure that none of the funding you put towards developing BATTLETECH is at risk, we’ll set a minimum order quantity for each item and only manufacture exactly what y’all order. Think of it kind of like crowdfunding - until we have enough committed orders, we won’t make the item or complete your credit card payment, and then we’ll only manufacture what is ordered. That way, we don’t “waste” one of our limited offerings on something only a few of you want or make a ton of stuff that sits in a warehouse gathering dust.

It took us a long time to get this together but now that we’re here, it's gonna happen fast. So start squirreling away some C-bills and look for more info in our next update.

Huzzah for merch!!!

HOW ABOUT THAT BETA?
Whether it’s at GenCon, PAX, or on http://battletechgame.com/, the biggest questions we get these days is, “When’s the Backer Beta start?” The answer we’ve been giving is “Winter”. Well, Winter starts December 21st so it’s time to spill some (limited) info.

Now in case you didn’t know, HBS has never done an external beta before, so we’re entering new ground here. Obviously, we’ll do our best but as you well know, “No plan survives contact...” and all that. Therefore, in order to prepare for the Backer Beta, we’re currently working towards a dry-run of the beta experience for our family members to “blow out the pipes”, test our process, and make sure everything’s ready for you.

Until we complete our dry-run and make any necessary adjustments to our plans, we won’t be able to give you a firmer date for the Backer Beta, but we can tell you that it’s targeted to begin sometime in the late January - early March timeframe and will run for at least a month. Once that beta is up and running, we’ll start things off with SKIRMISH MODE and then add PVP MULTIPLAYER after a period of time. The goal of the beta is to test our core combat system and will only be a slice of the shipping game’s total content, so it won’t include ALL the ‘Mechs, MechWarriors, maps, and environments that will come in the finished game. (Also remember, the open-ended mercenary campaign and single-player story will NOT be part of our Backer Beta.)

As noted in our Kickstarter rewards, only Backers at the $50 MECHWARRIOR reward level and above will have access to the Backer Beta, but there will be no restrictions on participants sharing their impressions, screenshots, etc. so that everyone can stay in the loop.

More Beta logistics and details will be forthcoming closer to the Beta launch announcement.

In Case You Missed It...

If you want to participate in the Beta but aren't at the $50 MECHWARRIOR reward level yet, you still have time to upgrade your reward level. Just send us an email at info@hbs-studios.com and we’ll take care of you.

And for your friends and family who weren’t able to help during the Kickstarter and who want to get in on the beta, our Late Reinforcement Backer opportunity is still available and will remain open until the beta begins!

Click the banner to become a Late Reinforcement Backer.

WE'RE HEADING TO MECH_CON!
Ah, yes indeed, it’s fun time, fun time! A bunch of us are heading north to Vancouver this weekend to participate in Mech_Con. Mech_Con is a special one-day event dedicated to the celebration of BattleTech and MechWarrior. Hosted by Piranha Games and featuring Harebrained Schemes, Catalyst Game Labs, and MechWarriors from around the world, it’s the ultimate MechWarrior event and a front-row seat for the Grand Finals of the MechWarrior Online World Championship Tournament!

Jordan, Mike, and I will do some Q&As and you can meet members of the team, including DEATH FROM ABOVE “stars” Tyler (GM) and AJ (Beta). Hmm, maybe it’s not too late for you to plan a quick trip so we can hang out with you, too!

Click the banner for event details!

Okay, that’s it for now. Like I said, we’ll be back before the end of the year with one more update.

Talk to you then!

- Mitch and the BATTLETECH team

Last edited:

Modron

Arcane
Don't really have a problem with the incloosiveness (wasn't a deal breaker in say the Front Mission series) but it does seem like the design went like this: "Oh shit we have a European white character quick inject some asian or african in them."

mutonizer

Arcane
Patron
Well, at least this thread managed to get me hyped for Shock Tactic. Seems interesting.

As for this here...Aside the generic character listing, these "ancestry" info are retarded, so much so that they are even a bit insulting.
Ancestry is either parents in a culture way, or genetic way. In culture way, what the fuck is "Spanish" in the 30th+ century and in the genetic way, Spanish means nothing whatsoever either. Listing not one but two or even three for every single of these characters is just completely moronic and, sadly, they look too PR polished to be forgotten left overs for the art team.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Ehhh... not a follower of Battletech but why define ancestry on terrestrial terms? Who fucking cares about earth diversity? A guy that grew up on another planet has zero in common with you, the shape of the nose or the amount of melanin on his skin means shit. Why someone would bother with fucking Spain or hawaii when there are thousands of light years of planets? Fuck, if that comes from PnP, that is retarded and needed to be cut, if it is SJW pandering, it is even worse. Jeez, sometimes SJW cucks look like those pseudo cientific charlatans that gone around measuring noses and facial features as determinant of character, it is retardation of the highest order.

Weasel
It's actually amusing, those combos make the most diverse diversity squad I've ever seen :lol:

I guess it has Codex LP potential in that regard, but one can only imagine the brainstorming sessions in Seattle which came up with that lot

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
We're probably going to get blacklisted by HBS after I newspost this. :P

Maybe Vaarna_Aarne can tell us how BattleTech treats ethnic ancestry.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom