Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter BattleTech Pre-Release Thread

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
I hear Games Workshop shitting their pants at a mere though of "commercial 3D printers".
They've spent years being really upset people would have the nerve to make molds from the sprues they bought and cast their own minis. I think nowadays they're just resigned to their fate and trying to milk the fans while they can.

Friend of mine was really into WHFB when he was a teen and actually got kicked out of a GW-sponsored tournament when the judges found out 80% of his army was homemade copypastas.
:M

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

dailypledges.png

Final Stage 2 stretch goal should be hit today.

Last edited:

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
The Mechwarrior Online modelling of the Raven is pure shit shitty
Catapult also. It's like they were, "we cannot into curved surfaces".

The only one that looks better than the original is Atlas because it was made to look beefier.

Also,
There is a seriously disconnect between Mech heights in MW:O and Mech heights in actual Battletech.

In MW:O, the Jenner stands if I recall, just over 8 meters tall, wheres the Atlas is just under 20 meters.
5-hr.jpg

this also demonstrates how ridiculously over-sized the Catapult is. The Catapult is less than twice the mass of the Jenner, yet has over 5 times the volume. Each leg on that Catapult, unless hollow, would mass nearly as much as the Jenner, and that is before getting to the 3 ton cockpit, 3 ton Gyro, 14 ton Fusion Reactor, etc that all sit ABOVE those legs. The Jenner is actually about the only correctly scaled mech in the whole game. (Speaking not just as an artist who knows proportions and volume scaling, but having worked most of my life with heavy industrial machinery and even around Combat Armor.). The lame excuse forwarded to defend it's sizing was that the "arms are mostly hollow" despite being over 7 tons of weapons, plus ammo, structure, armor, etc. Apparently,the designers of the Catapult WANTED to make it as easy to destroy as possible by oversizing it needlessly.
*facepalm*

Whereas according to the head of Battletech Line Development as Catalyst Game Labs, humanoid mechs range from 8 meters tall to 14 meters for the TALLEST (which, btw, the Atlas is NOT. The Atlas is the heaviest, but is noted as a very stocky and broad and powerful looking machine, whereas mechs like the Banshee are actually taller. The Victor is around the same height as an Atlas, for the record, just notably slimmer overall.), Digitigrade designs and Quads, by the lengths of their chassis, would overall be shorter than humanoids of the same weight, in most cases. A Tarantula, 25 ton quad qould be closer to 6 meters, for instance.

In other words, MW:O mechs are massively oversized on average, with far too much height discrepancy between them.

For comparison, is an admittedly dated size chart based off of some work by Adridos, I think (though I believe Tennex also did some of this stuff? I can't recall)

The top is the mechs by MW:Os scale, the bottom is closer to the "Official" (and realistically speaking, much more accurate scale when one actually compares heavy machinery and armor, you realize hat 65-100 tons isn't actually that huge, especially sinc emilitary designs avoid excess size since it simply makes you an easier target to hit.). The Middle is my "re-sizing mechs to PGI's scale, but more accurate compared to each other" scale.

That said, your scale is actually very close to right. For comparison to approximate size on how a Raven would really sit, just compare the body of your Raven (particularly in regard the cockpit) to the fuselage of an Apache Longbow attack helicopter, with legs attached.
WZ-19%2BChinese%2BArmy%2BAttack%2BHelicopter.jpg

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
3050U_Raven.jpg

vs

raven_udk_01.JPG

Seems pretty good to me. The toes on the feet are a bit further apart and the cockpit isn't rounded. But al in all it's 'k. It's recognizably a raven and it looks good in motion. Piranha has had their work cut out for them considering some of battletechs dumber designs...

latest

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Seems pretty good to me. The toes on the feet are a bit further apart and the cockpit isn't rounded. But al in all it's 'k. It's recognizably a raven and it looks good in motion. Piranha has had their work cut out for them considering some of battletechs dumber designs...

latest
Yea, Piranha's work on the models was very good.

(King Crab ain't even closest to being the dumbest looking 'Mech in 3025 and 3050 readouts)

Angthoron

Arcane
Please note that Angthoron has yet to negotiate terms with HBS, so if you donate do so with the knowledge that copies of the game are not yet guaranteed in exchange for your donation.
This. I'll work on knocking out some kind of a deal this week, but as I'm moderately loaded with other things going on, and with some admin stuff from the previous fundraiser, this might take a couple of days.

Luka-boy

Arcane
I hope HBS manages to make light mechs viable in the late game. Even if it's only in missions types where speed is key.
gottagofastm1ognp9p2t.jpg

Weasel
Quite a passionate debate in the KS comments today as the community start getting down to the details:

>>>[supported by lore] I want my female mechwarriors in nothing but their undies and cooling vest xD Possible?<<<
(HBS): No. Unless we can put male MechWarriors in banana-hammocks, too.

I been debating on creating my merc for the 2k reward a big fat southern man with a hick attuid would be awesome kinda like rooster voice. Specializes in heavy and assault mechs.one of his phrases can be move out of the way heavy weight contender coming through. Lol. Plus he would have to rock the banana hammock. ;)

Now, I have no problem if you want to do bikinis and banana hammocks, that said I get the feeling you won't don't want to. What I would like to see however is the Mechwarriors wearing sports bras, tank-tops, or tube tops and shorts or boxers with their cooling vest.

I don't need T&A, but I would like the artwork to (tastefully) show that the mech cockpit is bloody hot and the Mechwarriors are wearing clothes that are appropriate for an environment where it is 77-85F(25-30C) when idling and not producing heat and can rise to a sweltering 210F(100C) or even as hot as 390F(200 C) depending on if you let your mech overheat to the point of auto-shutdown if your ammo is cooking off.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
I gotta remember to wear a sports bra and boxers the next time I'm in a 100°C environment.

Athelas

Arcane
The relative state of undress would be a great pretext for inter-pilot romances as well, which could attract lots of funding from Bioware fans.

Last edited:

khavi

Learned
Patron
BattleTech
You sir are quite possibly the biggest dork visionary to have joined the codex in the last 66 days.

I can neither confirm nor deny my potential powers of dorkvison.

3D printed from game files? Where are those?

Here's some more...

http://www.redicubricks.com/category/mechwarriorbattletech/

(Also, Piranha has done a great job with the mech models and animations. HBS should explore the possibility of licensing the assets for their game).

Already done, which is great from a standpoint of unifying the art direction and look across all areas of the property. PGI is giving the existing 3D models from MWO to the HBS team, along with (hopefully), models that come out during development.

Creator Harebrained Schemes LLC 4 days ago

When customizing our mechs will our weaponry have a visual effect on the mech? For example if I equip a ER Large Laser on the left arm would it look different if I replaced it for an AC?<<< We hope so! That’s why we’re so excited that PGI is sharing their ‘Mech models with us - they’re set up to do just that.

khavi

Learned
Patron
BattleTech
Wouldn't it call for something like a space-suit or something?

Full body cooling suits are lostech, i.e. the means don't exist in this time period to produce them. The best that mech jockeys get in this time frame are cooling vests and their....jockeys.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
When customizing our mechs will our weaponry have a visual effect on the mech? For example if I equip a ER Large Laser on the left arm would it look different if I replaced it for an AC?<<< We hope so! That’s why we’re so excited that PGI is sharing their ‘Mech models with us - they’re set up to do just that.

Excellent. the MWO variants have different appearances on the weapon pods depending on whether the variant has lasers, missiles or autocannons in them. So that should translate direct to HBSes game with very little effort

I suppose there might be some slicing to mix and match models if players want LRM20s in one shoulder mount and PPC in the other of their mad cat. But again, fairly low effort to get it done and no additional model/texture work. The MWO mechs are also already skinnable with various multi-color camouflage patterns.

Not having to model and texture all the mechs from scratch makes it even more baffling that multiplayer is $2.5 million. Although I gues sHBS would need to hire new people for that. I don't think anyone on their payroll has prior experience writing netcode.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Full body cooling suits are lostech, i.e. the means don't exist in this time period to produce them. The best that mech jockeys get in this time frame are cooling vests and their....jockeys.
How convenient...

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
:rpgcodex: Well, maybe you should put that into the campaign description then.

If the codex does not manage to secure a deal that gives you a copy of the game, I will provide you with one for your noble sacrifice* :salute:

*Offer only valid for one copy for Sausageinyourface. Noone else gets it.

khavi

Learned
Patron
BattleTech
The Mechwarrior Online modelling of the Raven is pure shit shitty
Catapult also. It's like they were, "we cannot into curved surfaces".

Considering that nearly all the clan mechs Alex I. did for MWO have various curved surfaces, it's more likely that the distinct lack of smooth curves on IS mechs is a conscious design decision.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom