Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter BattleTech Pre-Release Thread

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
No. That's not it. The game is funded and doing fine. I just haven't seen that thing used all that many times and this as good a place to use it as any as far as I'm concerned, biased or not of me.

Ah. I don't think Fargo has ever actually announced that he's kicked something forward. I kinda assumed he spreads the wealth all over the place.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Ah. I don't think Fargo has ever actually announced that he's kicked something forward. I kinda assumed he spreads the wealth all over the place.

Might be that I'm misrecalling, but I could swear I've seen him do it at least once.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Athelas

Arcane
These will no doubt come in handy when constructing their psychological profiles and predicting what kind of RPG's they will develop in the future.

khavi

Learned
Patron
BattleTech
Still not going to pledge unless they actually pass the PvP mark. And not gonna pledge for more than minimum unless we see some kind of gameplay prototype to gague the complexity of the combat.

I got a bad gut feeling about this, same as I did Pillars of Eternity.

I asked if an alpha gameplay video would be available before the end of the kickstarter, and the reply was unfortunately "we'll see." I think he also misinterpreted my reasons for asking. I don't necessarily want to see how they do things, but rather what they are able to do. However, I also understand that anything shown would be extremely early and likely not indicative of the final version.

>>Any chance of an alpha gameplay video or prototyping in the pipeline during the kickstarter?
We love giving our Backers “peeks behind the curtain” during our Kickstarter and development. I think part of the fun of backing a project is learning more about how things are made. So we’ll see what we can share as time goes by.

Still, my gut feeling is good, rather than bad. Two parts of that equation is their repeated statements about the focus on combat gameplay, the depth of mechanics already discussed, and the addition of a backer beta, something that was not done for either SR campaign.

So much of what I want in the game is wrapped up in the Extended Campaign stage, but that's assured at this point. Hopefully, so is multiplayer, if only so we can guarantee that all of the Extended Campaign mini-goals are met.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Harebrained Schemes have a policy against showing people pre-release footage - Mitch Gitelman has said that a bunch of times in interviews ("People don't want to see the sausage being made"). They even did that for Shadowrun: Hong Kong, despite the fact that they must have already had an engine and assets available and could have easily mocked something up. So, I wouldn't count on seeing anything at this stage, not even a screenshot. I'm surprised they even have a backer beta, but I guess balance demands it.

khavi

Learned
Patron
BattleTech
Harebrained Schemes have a policy against showing people pre-release footage - Mitch Gitelman has said that a bunch of times in interviews ("People don't want to see the sausage being made"). They even did that for Shadowrun: Hong Kong, despite the fact that they must have already had an engine and assets available and could have easily mocked something up. So, I wouldn't count on seeing anything at this stage, not even a screenshot. I'm surprised they even have a backer beta, but I guess balance demands it.

That's hilarious because he was the one that responded in the KS comments with "We love giving our Backers “peeks behind the curtain” during our Kickstarter and development." Maybe it's changing this time around, hence the backer beta? Or maybe it's just PR doublespeak. *shrug*

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
That's hilarious because he was the one that responded in the KS comments with "We love giving our Backers “peeks behind the curtain” during our Kickstarter and development." Maybe it's changing this time around, hence the backer beta? Or maybe it's just PR doublespeak. *shrug*

"Peek behind the curtains" = textual description of the work they're doing and mock interviews with members of the development team, not gameplay footage.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
They should just take a camera around the office and ask "what are you doing son", like Larian does but not formal/scripted

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
I'm interested in seeing what they have cooking under the 1.85 stage. I'm not in a position to spend too much at the moment, but if it's something interesting, I might be inclined to throw a few more bucks there. They could tease by opening one when they get to 1.55.

Unless of course it's expanded cinematics, expanded portraits, and expanded VA. :D

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
I'm interested in seeing what they have cooking under the 1.85 stage. I'm not in a position to spend too much at the moment, but if it's something interesting, I might be inclined to throw a few more bucks there. They could tease by opening one when they get to 1.55.

Unless of course it's expanded cinematics, expanded portraits, and expanded VA. :D

Seems to me that each stage's stretch goals are related to the topic of that stage. So the "story stage" has stuff like that because it enhances "story". And Stage 3 will probably have, I dunno, additional mission types, additional factions, etc.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Seems to me that each stage's stretch goals are related to the topic of that stage. So the "story stage" has stuff like that because it enhances "story". And Stage 3 will probably have, I dunno, additional mission types, additional factions, etc.

Yeah, that's about what I expect. Though I hope they'll push the envelope a bit more with them.

khavi

Learned
Patron
BattleTech
Here's a rough list of the things that have been mentioned in streams and comments as being under the umbrella of Stage 3:
  • Procedurally generated missions
  • Expanded campaign, ability to continue play after main storyline.
  • More depth and breadth of mech systems - weapons, sensors, gyros, brands and costs associated by location in Inner Sphere (economy)
  • Increasing travel system and ability to fight in multiple theaters with different lances
  • More depth to contract/employment system (another game system obviously, but directly mentioned in update #4)
And, I know I'm missing stuff, but that's it off the top of my head.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
where can I find to buy miniatures like the ones at 0:45 in the kickstarter presentation video?

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Introductory box set (new one) minis also aren't bad and are very affordable. They're just not painted.

As an alternative, you could lurk on eBay. Some good deals pop up every now and then.

lurker3000

Arcane
Right now whats bothering me the most about this KS (and I have pledged) is that they have not really talked about the game mechanics. I could care less about voice acting or cut-scenes. They say its going to be a faithful interpretation of the TT game but what does that mean? I would like to hear things about heat, movement, cover, speed, range, FoW and the rest.

edit: From a SP gameplay perspective that stuff khavi said about stage 3 all sounds great.

Mustawd

. They've gotten much better, but they just don't compare to the ones that have been 3D printed using the game files from Mechwarrior Online.

3D printed from game files? Where are those?

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
MWO is pretty cool for what it is. If you can stomach F2P arena shooters, it's a lot less offensive than its competitors. There's no "gold ammo". You don't get put in a game with "higher tier" mechs that your weapons can't scratch. You can "test run" many of the mechs in regular games. The stompy feel is pretty good and it's fun to tinker in the mech lab. The only real complaint I have is that there's not enough new blood matchmaking, making for a steep learning curve. Well that and mission vareity. Used to be map vareity was a complaint too, but it's gotten a lot better over the last year or so.

If you're feeling nostalgic for MW2/MW3/MW4 multiplayer, you could do worse than giving the free version a spin. It's not for everyone and what you see is what you get. But sometimes a man just needs to stomp around for a bit and shoot lasers at people.

(Also, Piranha has done a great job with the mech models and animations. HBS should explore the possibility of licensing the assets for their game).

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom