Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter BattleTech Pre-Release Thread

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
117f829dd7caeeadc752f6e5c9923ec6_original.jpg
:negative::retarded::decline:

Branm

Learned
Hm maybe I'm overestimating the last 48 hour push. I can just see a lot of Battletech fans digging deep in order to reach it. Will be interesting to see.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's only been 48 hours and they're almost halfway there.

Like I said in the newspost, they will make all of their stretch goals unless there's a huge slowdown.

lurker3000

Arcane
How deep will the modding support be?

Skirmish play will allow players to create their own basic scenarios by selecting a map, objectives, victory conditions, starting locations, and of course the enemy forces including the quality and skills of the AI MechWarriors.

We have no plans to allow players to mod or import their own stuff at this time.

This is a bit if a bummer. It would be nice if people could build their own campaigns to share or increase the Mech library. Gotta leave room for those DLCs I suppose. Anyway who knows, this might be a super stretch goal or something.

Also have they said anything about destructible buildings? I seem to remember playing the game and blowing away buildings to get clear shots at the other player. Or for that mater terrain modifiers like walking through trees or rivers or up hills? Its been so long since I played the games I don't remember all the rules.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
HBS is not probably going to over commit. They said during Q&As that they are trying to avoid feature creep.

Besides they probably want to use clan invasion (and all the mechs that come with it) in possible sequel.

lurker3000

Arcane
That real life party looked lame as hell. I loved the TT game but I'm pretty happy I never got into the Cons.

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
I honestly doubt that they'll reach the multiplayer goal. Expanded campaign is likely at this point.
I did some quick math based on the fact that most KS trends evolve in a similar manner. Currently there's 85% probability that they'll reach $2.5m. Median projection: $3.5m.

Last edited:

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Not sure if the lack of modding support on an ip like battletech which has a large enthusiast fan base, is down to lack of resources or for more commercial reasons.

You don't want people adding mechs, houses, clans, maps and whatnot, when those can easily be monetized by them in the form of DLC or sequels.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Or maybe they just don't want to repeat the SRR scenario.
The SRR mod scene didn't take off for one simple reason, the engine and mod tools were extreme limited and it was hard to do anything persistent, The mod projects that started out were in fact quite ambitious.

If you have an easily modable mechwarrior 3d engine, it would spawn an entire community overnight.

Fairfax

Arcane
I'll write an in-depth analysis once the first 3-day period is over, but some partial stats for those who might be interested:

battletechks1izug1.jpg

V_K

Arcane
The SRR mod scene didn't take off for one simple reason, the engine and mod tools were extreme limited and it was hard to do anything persistent, The mod projects that started out were in fact quite ambitious.
I was referring to the fact that most of their resourses for the game went into the editor and the campaign had to be severely cut as a result.

Athelas

Arcane
Not sure if the lack of modding support on an ip like battletech which has a large enthusiast fan base, is down to lack of resources or for more commercial reasons.

You don't want people adding mechs, houses, clans, maps and whatnot, when those can easily be monetized by them in the form of DLC or sequels.
Yes, cutting off a continuous source of fan interest and exposure for your product is surely a brilliant sales strategy.

Lhynn

Arcane
Edit that post ffs, no one wants to see this clusterfuck every time they open the page.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
This is probably more a matter of not wanting to overpromise.

The game could very well end up being moddable, but they won't officially support it or create tools for it. I mean, you know, the Infinity Engine was never "officially moddable". It just so happened that it was easy to do.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Yes, cutting off a continuous source of fan interest and exposure for your product is surely a brilliant sales strategy.
If the plan is to release sequels and DLC, then it could be a strategy.

But I doubt that's their angle, probably don't want to bite off more than they can chew, especially considering how fast their development times have been, with remarkably stable releases.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom