Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

TBS Battlestar Galactica: Deadlock - simultaneous turn-based space fleet strategy from Slitherine

Discussion in 'Strategy Gaming' started by LESS T_T, May 16, 2017.

1. Hellraisergender: ⚧ Arcane

Hellraiser
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    I finished it and overall I have to say it needs more content and feels rushed in some areas. Cylons only have 6 capital ships versus 7 Colonial types. Could also use more customizing options for ships.

The strategic map wouldn't suffer from adding some Cylon military assets to it. Why can't I find a Cylon mining operation and attack it? Why can't I weaken cylon offensive capabilities by raiding a staging ground? Also the map should extend beyond the 12 colonies to enable that. What about surface attack or ground bombardment? Or using fast ships for hit and run? Recon? Stealth? Installations on uninhabited rocks to aid your strategic operations? What about building ships elsewhere than on Daidalos?

I imagine the budget was probably not big enough to accommodate for some other things (the license ate most of it probably and the as usual dumb decision to do console ports wastes another pile of cash), but some cut-scenes (other than in engine of ships in spaceeeee), animatics or still frames would be good for the story. The presentation is a bit bare bones, it's just some comms chatter, briefings and not much else. And there are a few events that really could use a cut-scene to better convey what is supposed to be going on. Some cases in point:

Campaign Spoilers (open)
    Cylons use chemical weapon on Saggitaron. Saggitaron says fuck you to the colonial fleet. Blah blah Caprican imperialism, we do not recognize the puppet government, we don't want doc Cottle helping our dying children. Some background on it would be great, a news segment or a newswire article or anything in game. I know they probably had their hands tied by Universal regarding what they can do so they avoided going too much into details or everything would need to get vetted first. But the storytelling really seemed barebones.

The other case, most likely the biggest one. Cylons getting nukes. Ignoring the fact I never saw the AI fire one at me in the campaign. Huge shock, supposedly Cylon propaganda showed it but we only hear Agathon describing it like that. We see nothing, only hear that it is a problem. A lot of wasted potential here. There are a few really good moments in the campaigns plot that get wasted due to insufficient presentation.

Random articles

The game would have been better if it covered the whole war or most of it with a more fleshed-out strategic layer. The tactical battles are good, but some more ships or flexibility, at least in the campaign, would have been better. Such as getting rid of the ship cap per fleet and only enforcing a point limit for fleets per officer. Also having smaller Cylon fleets instead of full point pool flying around all the time in the endgame. Also facing a fleet composed solely of Arachne or Cerberus class ships gets old fast.

Nukes are underwhelming. I do not mind that they are not instant-kill. But they only evaporate facing in one out of 6 directions and take a chunk of the hull and there appears to be no area of effect. Also they are ridiculously slow. And worst of all, you can have only one per ship.

:rage:

Officer skills seem very underwhelming, most of them outright useless and the trees allow little flexibility. It is always fleet points, subsystem strength bonus, something for the flagship. The first one is a no brainer, the other two are barely noticeable. The only exceptions are engineering where there's a slight damage reduction(to the flagship) and fortification bonus increase.

The music is good, it is not McCreary sure, but it is good and most of it emulates McCreary's style well. I also like that they recorded two tracks that are synced, one for the planning phase and the other for the execution with one switching into the other smoothly without any noticeable discontinuity.

The battle system is of course very good and I bet it is fun in MP although I failed to get a match going so far. Not easy to play online anything that isn't a ridiculous hit.

To sum up, this game could have been ridiculously good if it had more ships and ship options and the campaign map was better developed. Ripping off x-com in more aspects for the campaign could have added a lot. There's a lot of potential with the setting and conflict theme that has not been utilized, both in the strategic gameplay aspect and in story telling/mission design.

^ Top  
  2. Make America Great Again Taka-Haradin puolipeikkogender: ⚧ Arcane

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Bubbles In Memoria
    One question about fighters.

Are those just extra assets that one deploys at the start of the battle or is there some carrier warfare styled mechanics where you have to call them in for maintenance?

^ Top  
  3. Make America Great Again Taka-Haradin puolipeikkogender: ⚧ Arcane

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Bubbles In Memoria
    http://www.slitherine.com/news/2410/Battlestar.Galactica.Deadlock.-.Console.Release.Date.Announced!

• decline decline x 2
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)