Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RTS Battlefleet Gothic: Armada 2

ArchAngel

Arcane
What, already?
I guess expansions don't sell well enough.
I played the campaign of the first one, it was fun enough. Hopefully 2nd one brings something new and not more of the same.

Dayyālu

Arcane
Positives, the retarded newlore didn't fuck up the Most Glorious Imperial Navy, so at least we don't get Hyper-Double Marines in the face.

Second, I'm legit curious how they'll manage the Necrons (rape central in the tabletop) and if they'll keep all the races. Sure, focusing on the New Characters instead of the (frankly adequately written) nondescript Admiral of the first one is.... concerning. I don't want to play Rouboute Mary Sue, fuck.

Gameplay-wise, hum. First game was as good as a Warhammer game could get. Kinda repetitive, though.

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
So they plan to release with 12 factions and promise better MP balance.. haha, I will believe it when I see it.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Given first one was a financial success they could. Of course 12 faction is not possible to balance but will do for sp campaign.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Idk, 12 factions for a SP campaign worries me. Retribution had 6 factions, and the campaign was a pretty dull copy paste slog with minimal differences between each faction.
If it were more like total war though, where you fight for control over the whole galaxy and is relatively open, it might work.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Given first one was a financial success they could. Of course 12 faction is not possible to balance but will do for sp campaign.
But one of their selling points for this sequel is better MP balance..
improved multiplayer modes and features for a better and more balanced online experience

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I want a blood bowl style league system and fleet management or the mp is worthless.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
I am hopeful on this one. I enjoyed the first game, although the Campaign missions could get repetitive. All the factions, including Dark Eldar and Mechanicus, sounds pretty ambitious. I am not sure how balance will be achieved with asymmetrical factions. From what I remember, Tyranids are short ranged focused, and I do not remember Dark Eldar having much a ship list.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

A few days ago, Focus Home Interactive and Tindalos Interactive announced the development for PC ofBattlefleet Gothic: Armada 2 with a Reveal Trailer. Today, discover our new video Forging a Sequel and meet the passionate team of long-time Warhammer 40,000 fans behind Battlefleet Gothic: Armada, the real-time strategy game that portrays the epic space battles of the Warhammer 40,000 universe. Discover never-before seen footage of the game, and learn what makes Battlefleet Gothic: Armada 2 a full-blown sequel!

Romain Clavier, CEO & Game Director of Tindalos Interactive, and Aurélien Josse, CEO & Art Director, describe their ambitions and how they are making Battlefleet Gothic: Armada 2 better than its predecessor in every way. For the first time in a video game, the latest story development in the Warhammer 40,000 universe,Gathering Storm and the 13th Black Crusade, will serve as the canvas for the story of several dynamic campaigns. The game will also bring all 12 factions from the original tabletop game, playable in both solo and multiplayer, including the highly anticipated Necrons and Tyranids. With bigger battles, refined gameplay, improved multiplayer modes and features for a better and more balanced online experience, improvements across the board and even more customisation options for fleets and ships, Battlefleet Gothic: Armada 2 promises to be the ultimate Warhammer 40,000 space battle experience!

Finally get a sneak peek of the creative process at Tindalos, a team passionate about the Warhammer 40,000 universe since their childhood - a passion that followed them to this day and is evident in their work.

Battlefleet Gothic: Armada 2 is planned for release on PC in 2018, and will be first presented to the press during Focus's yearly event in Paris, le What's Next de Focus, on February 7-8.

Beastro

Arcane
Did they ever introduce more faction campaigns or only Imperial?

I can't see having any interest in this myself unless they finally do that given my declining interest in MP.

Preben

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
MP is going to be a hopeless mess. There's no way they are going to balance 12 factions.

I have my hopes for the SP campaign though.

Grif

Learned
MP is going to be a hopeless mess. There's no way they are going to balance 12 factions.

What would they do a campaign on, however? The Gothic War (the namesake) has already been done in the first game. Are they going to cover another war? The Damocles Gulf Crusade? Tyranid invasions?

ArchAngel

Arcane

What would they do a campaign on, however? The Gothic War (the namesake) has already been done in the first game. Are they going to cover another war? The Damocles Gulf Crusade? Tyranid invasions?
Considering the game is going to have Tyranids they could be covering that.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
12 factions. Multiplayer focus.
I say we have a severe case of Peter Moulinex over here.
Three factions is a hell to balance and they are talking about 12? Bullshit. It will be either "same ship-different model", where all ships will have the same stats but verious skins or they will try to balance 12 factions, fail, and then try again and fail again, settling down with grossly disbalanced game and moving on to pumping DLCs.
It could work with single-player but if they want to use all 12 faction in single player as well, then it, too, will be a mess. Probably will be the same as Armada - tau and space amrine fleet to multiplayer only and IF, orc, eldar and Chaos fleets to single.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I never got the problem with factions being somewhat unbalanced. It's not like this will have some thriving esports or multiplayer scene.
This is a SP game first and foremost.

The first game had a peak of players in the first month with about 2k people. Then dropped to 400 within 3 months and is now at about 100, a bit more than a year later. Source
It is the textbook example of a single player focused game with multiplayer around for the few that want it.

It would be more than stupid to try and appeal to the MP crowd with this game and the developers seem to know that.
For a single player focused game, more factions - ESPECIALLY if somewhat unbalanced - is a great thing. Will keep people play the game for longer, try out new things and make it more likely to come back to it at a later date.

Of course, the danger of those factions being little more than repaints is quite real anyway.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
y'all niggaz going zomg muh 12 factions muh balance never played soulstorm
While this statement about the poor educational quality of modern strategy forum is true, it's not entirely fair:
Soulstorm reached 9 races over four years.
Battlefleet presumes to reach 12 in one year.

This is also not entirely fair, since it's not counting development time before release of first game, so the true comparison might be 6 to 3 years.

That being said dow is in many ways more complex than bf:g, so its not impossible. I just hope they include some good mp modes for goofing around this time, instead of only competitive ladder.

vonAchdorf

Arcane

The current new "Dark Imperium" lore (fall of Cadia, return of the Primarch(s), ...)

v1rus

Arcane
Any reason to play the first one, or should I just wait for this to come out?

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Steam page:

BFGAII_Preorder_Incentive_Etailers_616x200-EN.jpg

* To benefit from the offer, make sure you are logged into your Steam account and Battlefleet Gothic: Armada is available in your library. Offer available until the game’s release.

Battlefleet Gothic: Armada 2 is the new real-time strategy game adapted from Games Workshop’s famous tabletop game that portrays the epic space battles of the Warhammer 40,000 universe.

Expanding on the groundwork laid out by the first game, Battlefleet Gothic: Armada 2 is a full-blown sequel - bigger, richer, more impressive and more ambitious than the original game. It will include, at launch, all 12 factions from the original tabletop game and its expansions it is based on: the Imperial Navy, Space Marines, Adeptus Mechanicus, Necrons, Chaos, Aeldari Corsairs, Aeldari Craftworld, Drukhari, the T’au Merchant and Protector Fleets, Orks, and finally, the Tyranids.

The latest dramatic story development in the Warhammer 40,000 universe, the Gathering Storm and the 13th Black Crusade, serves as the canvas for three extensive and dynamic campaigns with high narrative values, focusing on the Tyranids, the Necrons, and the Imperium. Explore the systems in the Eye of Terror, with or against renowned characters such as Belisarius Cawl, Gulliman and more.

With bigger battles, refined gameplay, improved multiplayer modes and features for a better and more balanced online experience, as well as improvements across the board and even more customisation options for fleets and ships, Battlefleet Gothic: Armada 2 promises to be the ultimate Warhammer 40,000 space battle experience.

MAIN FEATURES
  • The ultimate Warhammer 40,000 space naval warfare experience
  • All 12 factions from the original tabletop game
  • Three dynamic solo campaigns (Tyranids, Necrons and Imperium)
  • An ambitious, full-blown sequel featuring epic battles with far larger fleets
  • Refined and improved gameplay, including new choices for ship customization
  • Improved multiplayer modes and features for a better online experience
  • The first videogame in Games Workshop's new "Gathering Storm" setting

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom