Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Battlefield Earth (1996)

EG

Nullified
ireh3OA.jpg

EG

Nullified
As I haven't had the time to set up a dual boot of XP (VMs don't provide the necessary DirectX support, unfortunately to run this) . . . I suspect there'll be little point. What young me took to be a point and click adventure game seems to be a series of snapshots (such as the one above), illustrating other works by Hubbard.

evHvxTh.jpg

ro279oe.jpg

3v5jnkU.jpg

RfXmNbp.png

The game itself is a limited Doom / Hover! for Windows 95 style FPS in which you club wolves and presumably shoot them with a blaster (once you find it), while you grunt and laugh.

The promotional CD itself (. . . promoting the purchase of the book you just purchased . . . ) includes many voice acted lines and profile shots for a biography section, a sound track to the book, and galleries of illustrations for pivotal scenes in the novel . . . all done on early Macromedia and QuickTime tech, with support for Windows 3.1 and up. Not to mention a screensaver, which just seems to be previous illustrations, without captions.

So yeah, something that was well worth forgetting about, Internet. ;)
1GjTWM9.png

Last edited:

AngryKobold

Arcane
Post some actual screenshots. In a LOSLESS FORMAT FFS. You post relics taken out of game published by batshit insane sect. Seemingly present nowhere else on the net. At least do it properly.

Would laugh hard if the game turned out to be a poor Doom/ Wolfenstein mod. I doubt it has anything to do with Duke Nukem 3D. In 1995 any engine resembling DN3D was quite technological achievement. So getting such thing for dumb promo game would be quite an overkill.

EG

Nullified
Oh, it's definitely nothing to do with Duke3D and the Build engine; in fact, let me correct that now, as that was a hilariously poor choice on my part. It's more akin to Hover! from the Windows 95 install CD, and it's probably a Visual C++ / DirectX job, unless there was something at the time to do it that somehow required two programmers (and eight or nine other people).

The above are specifically in JPEG form on the disk, though lower quality versions do exist in bmp form.

But hey, there's little reason not to just upload an ISO; an obscure promotional game from 1996 by a now defunct company shouldn't get anyone into a twist, 'less Management smites one for such deeds.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/02l72wimkak20k0/BECDROM.iso

Last edited:

Astral Rag

Arcane
In before EG starts preaching about the wonders of Scientology...

Will try to run the game on a virtual Windows 98 machine.

Last edited:

EG

Nullified
The game itself is playable on Windows 7 64-bit. Just run Battle.exe. Though it will try to open a help file, it''s just a bit of flavor text / credits.

Last edited:

Astral Rag

Arcane
Wow this game, I don't even. I'm rescuing rabbits from wild dogs by throwing sticks at them, I think. This game feels like an unholy lovechild of Super 3D Noah's Ark and Robinson's Requiem.

Sadly it's not very screenshot friendly which is a shame because it certainly looks...special.

Last edited:

EG

Nullified
Kill the rabbits with your club then walk over them to regain health. ;)

Quite the little tech demo.

Astral Rag

Arcane
Managed to take some screenshots.

9g5k0w.jpg

1besi6.png

Help file:

fwLMEa3.jpg

fdqs60bjgv.jpg

"Canyon of the Wolves"

fL6WDCj.jpg

cbT0EGW.jpg

The buggy icons on the bottom right show the amount of clubs you have in your possession...

virtualpc2014-07-2717ncjwp.jpg

Wolves hunting rabbits, it's almost as convincing as Stalker's a-life.

0-67fijzs.jpg

Managed to kill a few.

virtualpc2014-07-27178kl63.jpg

Then I got overwhelmed by a million wolves and died.

0vc68zyo.jpg

:troll:
to be continued

Last edited:

EG

Nullified
So nice of Terl to give you a proper burial.

Really do appreciate the screenshots, Astral. You've succeeded where I've failed.

porridge

Barely Literate

Thank you so so much for doing this. You've made my week, no doubt.

I've been scouring the internet for the physical media with very little luck. I played this game as a young scientologist. My daughter (now about the age I was when I played it) just asked me what the worst game I'd ever played was, and this was my answer.

It ran so poorly on our actual Windows 95 machine. I remember the resolution being lower than in the screenshots posted here, and I remember frequently clipping out of the world. I played it with my little brother and sister, and we could never get past the first level. All we could do was run around and throw kill sticks at dogs.

ASTRAL, thank you for posting the content! Reading that help file gave me full-on time travel abilities.

Now to get this thing running in 2023...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom