Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Battlefield 1 - set in World War 1

Baron Dupek

Arcane
I remember BF2 tournaments involving a lot of teamwork and planning. Does it still apply to subsequent versions of BF?
Yes.
But not as much as before, and definitely not as much as real BF2 - Project Reality need.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
the closer you go to a simulation the more boring it gets.

I imagine charging enemy trenches at Ypres would be pretty fucking exciting if perfectly simulated, an horrifying.
It is exciting and horrifying in real life. But in a videogame, it is meh. You are charging forward with two dozens of other players, running forward and running and running toward the trenches meanwhile you pray that you don't get one hit killed. And repeat this in every charge.

Astral Rag

Arcane
$50 for a fucking season pass, EA just doesn't learn

Wrong.

They've learnt that sheeple never grow tired of being milked and that they will keep buying the same popamole + DLC every year until the end of time. They've also learnt that the typical modern gaming journalist is about as critical as an overworked dung beetle on Alprazolam.

Last edited:

Beastro

Arcane
If the game doesn't play any different due to the setting being WW1 then what's the point of doing a WW1 setting?

If this was an accurate kinetic depiction of WW1 military hardware, everything would be hella slow and prone to breakdown. BF players don't have the patience driving around a tank at 6 mph that takes an eon to make a turn. Neither can't they fly around with these WW1-era airplanes making these super cool nimble maneuvers of a WW2-era Mustang or Messerschmidt. Slow and boring is not what the BF audience wants. They just want the same shit with a different sugarcoating poured on it. And EA provides. And niggers.

TBH I did try a BF42 WWI mod back in the day and the fire angles of many tank weapons were horrible to single man.

Such gameplay would require the game to encourage teamplay with two to four people coordinating their actions to make a single tank, not to mention working together with the infantry supporting them.

Both the gameplay around them and real tanks suffer from the same fundamental problem and it's no surprise that both become far simpler to use in a WWII. WWI tanks were what they were commonly called back then, land battleships, not combat vehicles, a term that hints at something more compact and easy to use.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
the closer you go to a simulation the more boring it gets.

I imagine charging enemy trenches at Ypres would be pretty fucking exciting if perfectly simulated, an horrifying.
It is exciting and horrifying in real life. But in a videogame, it is meh. You are charging forward with two dozens of other players, running forward and running and running toward the trenches meanwhile you pray that you don't get one hit killed. And repeat this in every charge.

While those assaults did happen, trench warfare constantly evolved. Later on in the war they usually used smaller stormtroop squads to try and infiltrate enemy lines. Night attacks, creeping barrages and using forward posts as a jump off point for the assault. Pretty cool stuff to try and simulate.

Oh, and tanks where indeed land battleships. Which worked well in earlier BF games. The armored personell carriers in BF3 had lots of gunpoints for soldiers who jumped in. Great fun to trundle around and spray fire with a full crew until someone wised up and fired an rpg at you. Make the vehicle slower, reduce the rate of fire and voila.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Holy fucking shit. Tried the beta for 2 hours now, it's AMAZING, really. They hit just the right spot. I just such a great time, good teamwork, too. Massive warfare, massive destruction. Graphics, sounds, everything is crisp.

Glad I pre-ordered this :) Possibly the best battlefield for me yet

Tribal Sarah

Arbiter
I like the support class. Got a lot of points throwing out those little ammo packs and capturing flags. Tanks are fun if you're grouped up. The only annoyance are the snipers who infest every match and do nothing to help their team.

DemonKing

Arcane
They need to adapt the Red Orchestra model of only one sniper per team or simply get rid of them from BF games. Hanging back and sniping with no care about the objectives goes completely against the whole concept of the core Conquest mode.

Of course EA will never reduce or restrict the number of snipers for fear of backlash from the whiners who will nerdrage if they can't play what class they want, when they want.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom