Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

TBS Battle Worlds: Kronos - Turn-Based Strategy

made

Arcane
Judging by how quickly the thread died down, the game ain't all that after all. Personally I'm waiting for a patch that fixes movement speed. Way too tedious the way it's now.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Judging by how quickly the thread died down, the game ain't all that after all. Personally I'm waiting for a patch that fixes movement speed. Way too tedious the way it's now.
Can't speak for others but for me it's a TBS overload right now. I just got into the XCOM expansion and Endless Space Disharmony at the same time and I still have some unfinished games in Civ5: BNW. Plus I think I finally want to take Eador for a spin (I think I've waited long enough for it be properly patched) and I also want to give Disciples 3 one last chance with the Reincarnation overhaul. And there are still some RPGs and adventures I want to try/replay and I got time for maybe a third of all that.

But Kronos is definitely at the top of my list, since Battle Isle is one of my favourite games ever, and I'll delve into it as soon as they fish out all the usual bugs, imbalances and design derps that are quite normal for indie studios, even for the German ones.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

I'm still playing this :D

The movement speed is bad, yeah, but the game is good. I don't think I've given the impression that it's "all that." It's just an enjoyable little game that delivers what it promised.

Also, it isnt the "speed" per se, it's the fact that so much of the game is spent doing trivial movement.

made

Arcane
Also, it isnt the "speed" per se, it's the fact that so much of the game is spent doing trivial movement.
Yeah, that's what I mean. I quit halfway through the 4th mission because it just took forever to haul units from one island to the next.

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath

Personally, I still haven't gotten the game to run on my main rig (looks like a hardware incompatibility issue), hence my lack of meaningful posts in this thread. :D

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
I would have thought the Codex would have been all over this, instead they're all playing turn based popamole: the expansion :(

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
The codex has not a whole lot of people who care too deeply about wargames, turn-based strategy games and the like. At least it keeps the unwashed masses out of the strategy subforum.

Cromwell

Arcane
Has anyone tested the multiplayer and can tell something about what to expect?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I would have thought the Codex would have been all over this, instead they're all playing turn based popamole: the expansion :(

I'm playing both, and liking both. However, purely tactical games have never been as popular here.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

I'm playing both, and liking both. However, purely tactical games have never been as popular here.
Surprisingly for me Codex is not too crazy even about the TBS/RPG hybrids. Not many people are fans of the HOMAM series and almost nobody can participate in a monocled discussion about the Disciples or King's Bounty series. Here, it's all about dem Paradox and CA games - not bad bud not TB.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
To be honest, I have a pretty strained relationship with King's Bounty. I love everything about the game to bits, but I absolutely detest the numbers game wherein on any reasonable difficulty the entire game revolves around not losing units (and if you do, backtracking to refill). Makes the games nearly unplayable for me, for all their strength :(

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
To be honest, I have a pretty strained relationship with King's Bounty. I love everything about the game to bits, but I absolutely detest the numbers game wherein on any reasonable difficulty the entire game revolves around not losing units (and if you do, backtracking to refill). Makes the games nearly unplayable for me, for all their strength :(
It's not that bad, you can easily go for many fights with some losses before you need to refill (the no-loss challenges are for aspies, masochists and unemployed from countries where unemployment is an equivalent of fun times). And with the various heal, ressurection and necromantic spells plus the reserve slots in AP and WotN it's no problem at all. Plus unlike the Homam or Disciple series there's a humongous amount of units and unit types you can choose from at all times.

But I grant you it's slightly annoying if you need to go through several tough fights in a row and after each one you have to spend ten minutes backtracking and refilling you key units like Paladins or Royal Thorns, since the reserve slots are usually used for trash units like Bowmen or Spiders who die like flies, no pun intended.

DeepOcean

Arcane
It's not that bad, you can easily go for many fights with some losses before you need to refill (the no-loss challenges are for aspies, masochists and unemployed from countries where unemployment is an equivalent of fun times). And with the various heal, ressurection and necromantic spells plus the reserve slots in AP and WotN it's no problem at all. Plus unlike the Homam or Disciple series there's a humongous amount of units and unit types you can choose from at all times.

But I grant you it's slightly annoying if you need to go through several tough fights in a row and after each one you have to spend ten minutes backtracking and refilling you key units like Paladins or Royal Thorns, since the reserve slots are usually used for trash units like Bowmen or Spiders who die like flies, no pun intended.
I second that, there was battles where I was just lazy to make some decent strategy and lost most of my army and there is more than enough units to replenish your forces with exception of a few high level ones, summoning distractions is the key to avoid loses, so Royal Thorns and other types of summons really are great, using units that won't cause counter attack is a very good way to slowly kill a fucking manacing stack without taking heavy loses . 3000 barbarians can be killed by 100 Royal snakes if you manage to neutralize them with slow and keep the rest of the army distracted.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
It's not that bad, you can easily go for many fights with some losses before you need to refill

This seems straight up at odds with reality for me. If I lose just one or two units, I know I will lose more in the next fight, and then the dominos start fallin'. When I got to the midgame I basically had to win every fight flawless or backtrack each time.

VonVentrue

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2

It's a shame, isn't it? Disappointingly bland story aside, the game has no glaring flaws. I'm looking forward to the core experience being expanded upon in the expansion.

Has anyone tested the multiplayer and can tell something about what to expect?

To be perfectly honest, it's a ghost town, so I can't comment on how well it works.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Damn this AI is tough. I'm playing the campaign, and I have to be on my toes all the time, because the AI uses its units very well. One mistake, and the AI manouvers into a very good position, and hurts me badly. Although sometimes I think that the AI units has bigger damage output, than mines. Is it cheating?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Are you flanking? Flanking is insanely important for your damage output. If the AI's damage output is higher, it is probably because of flanking boni.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Are you flanking? Flanking is insanely important for your damage output. If the AI's damage output is higher, it is probably because of flanking boni.
Yeah, I'm trying but it seems not enough. Can you flank with the rocket units, which fire from 2-3 tiles away? Or just with the "melee" ones, which stand right next to the enemy?

It's called clamping not flanking.
The game uses the term flanking.

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Yeah, I'm trying but it seems not enough. Can you flank with the rocket units, which fire from 2-3 tiles away? Or just with the "melee" ones, which stand right next to the enemy?

It doesn't. Maybe you're using the kwan approved version?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer

It doesn't. Maybe you're using the kwan approved version?
Mine definitely says flanking. I think mine is a kwa version, because I got if directly from the developer, not from steam or gog.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom