Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Battle Chasers: Nightwar - JRPG-inspired RPG based on the comic book by Joe Madureira

Kaivokz

Arcane
Notably, pulchritudinous is a word on the GRE lists - a test that is supposed to evaluate foreigners' English proficiency for graduate level study in the US.

Which probably guarantees that only non-native speakers will ever know the word.
U.S. residents also need to take the GRE to be admitted into almost all U.S. graduate programs. It isn't designed to test a foreigner's level of English. The quantative section definitely isn't and the verbal is as much about reading comprehension and "critical reasoning" as it is about academic jargon.

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
So? So were the chalice dungeons in Bloodborne and they didnt exactly suck but they didnt hold a candle to the ingame dungeons and content
In this day and age of failed promises I this little fact is enough for me to not kickstart and see how it goes... It is as simple as that for me

Yeah but so were Diablo 2 dungeons and they were pretty good.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
:keepmymoney:Completly different games and their approach to loot and systems; diablo ganes are loot fests and you focus on just that FF games has themes to their dungeons and are more focused ok character leveling and hand placed loot rather than random loot drops....in any case

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Just FYI, Battle Chasers is one of the major culprits of why fantasy art went from

helpers-hero.jpg
frank_frazetta_thedestroyer.jpg

frank_frazetta_thesilverwarrior.jpg

to

world-of-warcraft-19625.jpg

preview

divinity_original_sin_1920_2.0.0.jpg

The new generation never knew the old style, and it's not being promoted or brought back anywhere, so it's been left to die.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
I never even heard of this comic, didn't know it was that influential. Wot a shame.
It had a really short and unstable run, but I challenge you to find similar art prior to its release. I saw it mentioned on reddit or somewhere, but it happened between warcraft 2 and warcraft 3. Go figure.

I have memories of a translated printed version bought by my flatmate around 2006.

Divinity: Original Sin
Well, I never liked joe madureira drawing style back them, I aways liked more traditional superheroes style. He is pioneer in bringing the whole mangá/animé style that started to invade marvel/DC in the late 90's, and I remember him being the top rising star when he drew uncanny x-men after jim lee... At the time, I was getting bored with comics and stopped reading them, mainly because I was more interested in the drawings than the stories, which were mostly shit, and that animé wave that madureira introduced was being prased as the new shit and I never felt it was fit for marvel/DC or superheroes in general.

But I used to buy Wizard, which was like the comics PCGamer, mostly to practice my english, and Image Comics' jim lee studio (wildstorm) released a line of comics, called cliffhanger, with creations of the top artists of that moment: Danger Girl by J. Scott Campbell; Crimson, by Humberto Ramos; and Battle Chasers, by Joe Madureira. It was like a "mini-image comics" inside "image comics". Top pencillers creating their own stories.

Also, I aways felt madureira was an obnoxious guy, that let fame take over his head, and mostly because his accusations of brazilian artist Roger Cruz of swiping his work (which were true), but at the time I felt his way of dealing with that a little too much of "I'm a primadonna, how dare you".

That said, I was never interested in his work, but I nowadays actually like his drawings outside of super-hero comics. It fits this setting he created if seen as a japanese inspired thing, and his style today is the same as back then, which I praise a lot in an artist.

I feel like backing this, but before I'll read the comic series, and see what it's about.

EDIT:

This (by john byrne):
SupermanJLBColorWeb.jpg

tops this (by ed mcguiness):
superman%20print%20-%20ed%20mcguinnes-sm.JPG

Last edited:

Septaryeth

Augur
It had a really short and unstable run, but I challenge you to find similar art prior to its release. I saw it mentioned on reddit or somewhere, but it happened between warcraft 2 and warcraft 3. Go figure.

I have memories of a translated printed version bought by my flatmate around 2006.

In another word, "anime" happened.

I'm not sure if you can fault a man for being influenced by such recognizable force.
Considering his situation now, you could probably said Mad was more of a follower than a leader.
Around 2000 is a time when a lot of new shit happened. It's bound to happen, sooner or later.

That said, I don't expect much from this.
I remembered there was a lot of fuss about Darksider (and Vigil's) demise.
Something about a UI designer work his ass off as a wage slave then having his work stolen right after he's fired.
Vigil ran themselves down to the ground with the whole new 3A IP marketing. They set the expectation too high and have no one else to blame.
Plus I remember Joe Mad said he's going to stop messing with video games and concentrate on his comic book after THQ broke.
It's rather fishy how after two or three years of complete silence he THEN decided to rework on his famous series by kickstarting a jrpg spin off.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Anime happened...in the US. For some reason you got Dragon Ball 15 years after everybody else.

Shammy

Learned
I'll wait to see the game in a more complete/fleshed out state. Too many random elements can be the death of a game if done wrong, so time to play the waiting game.

Neanderthal

Arcane
Just FYI, Battle Chasers is one of the major culprits of why fantasy art went from

frank_frazetta_thesilverwarrior.jpg

The new generation never knew the old style, and it's not being promoted or brought back anywhere, so it's been left to die.

Is that Urlik Skarsol from Moorcock? Ya can't beat Frazetta. Thought Poe did well there, no massive pauldrons and shit, one of good points o game.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
About two days left. They did well despite not reaching all stretch goals, but maybe there will a massive influx in this last stretch.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Nordic Games publishes this game and also provides money to develop extra content: http://www.nordicgames.at/index.php...airship_syndicate_for_battle_chasers_nightwar

Nordic Games Partners up with Airship Syndicate for Battle Chasers: Nightwar

More areas, more 2D animations and full voice acting for Battle Chasers: Nightwar due to new partnership with Nordic Games

Battle Chasers: Nightwar – Steam Store Link

Vienna/Austria, Austin/Texas: March 8th, 2016

After the successful Kickstarter campaign Nordic Games and Airship Syndicate join forces to increase the development budget of Battle Chasers: Nightwar even further. With the help of Nordic Games all stretch goals including more content, more cut scenes and full voice acting that were initially out of reach can be achieved and the best possible Battle Chasers: Nightware experience can be delivered to fans around the globe.

Comic -> Game

The best-selling comic book Battle Chasers was first released in the late 90s and quickly generated a passionate cult following. Now Joe Madureira, the creator of the comics, and his founding partner Ryan Stefanelli are crafting a new adventure for the iconic heroes as a video game for PC and consoles. Madureira says that, "The game is being designed for both fans of the series and those who are new to it. The story will be enjoyable for everyone, with a few special moments for those who know the characters already.”

Airship + Nordic Games

Fans all around the world are already eagerly anticipating Battle Chasers: Nightwar. To make the game even bigger and better, Airship Syndicate decided to team up with Nordic Games. “I had gotten to know the guys at Nordic shortly after they acquired the Darksiders license,” said Ryan Stefanelli. “After the Kickstarter campaign closed, we started to talk with them about acting as a co-funder and publisher to help us reach some of the stretch goals we’d narrowly missed out on. Doing so is going to be great for our fans and backers, and also allows us as a studio to focus on game development more than publishing.”

Battle Chasers: Nightwar will be released on PlayStation 4, Xbox One, PC and Mac at the end of 2016.

About Battle Chasers: Nightwar

Battle Chasers: Nightwar is an RPG inspired by the classic console greats, featuring deep dungeon diving, turn-based combat presented in a classic JRPG format, and a rich story driven by exploration of the world.

Key Features

•Classic Combat in a Tech Infused Fantasy World
•Random Dungeons With 5+ Stars Of Difficulty Each
•Craft, Barter and Prepare for the Road Ahead
•Unravel the Mysteries of the Crescent Isle

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
A super-fast update as we rush our the door to E3 2016, where we'll be letting press see the game for the first time (hooray!). Before that, though, we wanted to drop our backers a few first-look screenshots of the dungeon and combat gameplay we'll be demoing! We've put an enormous amount of polish on the little details, bringing it all to a fine shine. This is effectively a final vertical slice for the core gameplay, so now we move on to banging out even more content, content, content!
u2K3Nc9.jpg

G00Iu1a.gif

sDw2KIO.gif

qwPeNoy.png

OtQfoz4.jpg

5OMtstf.png

Nb0zlbJ.jpg

lfE1MDw.jpg

YPTT4ga.jpg

mD5PlXA.jpg

SxYP812.jpg

mOGC3sC.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom