Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Battle Chasers: Nightwar - JRPG-inspired RPG based on the comic book by Joe Madureira

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
This was offered as part of a presentation block at next week's Gamescom, and it doesn't look that bad, so we booked it for a hands-on as well. Direct any questions here.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Quite the update recently.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1548028600/battle-chasers-nightwar/posts/1683412

Dates
First, we have a few announcements regarding time frames for Alpha, Beta, and ship! Check them out below!

Alpha: 4th Quarter 2016 (Targeting end of November)
Beta: 1st Quarter 2017 (Targeting January)
Full Launch: Mid-2017

We also expect our forums to launch around the same time as Alpha hits so we have a home for discussion and feedback.

Physical Release
Speaking of the above-mentioned full release, we're excited to announce that our partnership with THQNordic has allowed us to do a full physical release of the game to retail! We'll be working with THQNordic to figure out the details of a program that'll allow our backers to upgrade to physical copies if they'd like to.

Admittedly this may be tricky so it'll take some time to figure out exactly how to make it happen, and we hope to have some details for everyone on the upgrade system in the coming months.

792d38d8306806c3a473dad5dc95a3e3_original.png

Game Upgrades
Working with THQNordic has given us the time and cash to do a few cool things with the game. Here are a few things we'll be doing with those added resources:

- More Dungeons! We had planned 5, but will now be creating 8.
- More Abilities! Heroes will now have more animations and greater combat depth
- More Creatures! In a nutshell... more creatures.
- Fishing! The originally planned "Tavern Mini Game" stretch goal has blossomed into a fishing mini-game system that will be used throughout the game
- More Polish! We're adding to the game, but also putting time into simply spit-shining many of the features we were already doing.

And those are just a few. We can't wait to get the game in our backers hands first, and in a matter of months!

Coming to GoG also. https://af.gog.com/news/coming_soon_the_guild_3_battle_chasers_nightwar?as=1649904300
The cold winds of winter are rising, and with them, a snowstorm of great THQ Nordic games is about to arrive, DRM-free on GOG.com. Put on your coats and let's go meet them!

Has a 'soon' tag but maybe that means coming soon to the in development mode on GoG.

I worry about the combat. It seemed quite simplistic in the gameplay preview video in addition to the HP bloat it had.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Recent interview.
http://www.pcgamesn.com/battle-chasers-nightwar/battle-chasers-nightwar-comic-jrpg

Creating an American Japanese RPG
Battle%20Chasers%20Nightwar%20graveyard.jpg

Nightwar is a RPG with plenty of Japanese leanings. It’s a format that makes sense for Madureira, whose enthusiasm for imported games was a source of humour among his editors. “Whenever one of my books would be late, there would always be jokes that 'Oh, Joe's playing Final Fantasy’ or whatever,” he recounts.

JRPGs were a huge influence on the Battle Chasers comics. “I was influenced so much by videogame art,” says Madureira. “Whether it's JRPGs or big blocky Capcom characters from the Street Fighter series.” As such, seeing the characters come alive in that genre makes perfect sense.

It was also the obvious choice for the comic’s ensemble cast. “For a party-based game we just felt it was the best way to present the combat and have multiple characters,” Madureira explains. “You really get to see their abilities, and each character gets their limelight.”

The influences have come full circle. Now, instead of a comic full of JRPG flavour, it’s a JRPG with graphic novel seasoning. For example, panels featuring Madureira’s art display during certain combat moves, making the battle system feel like a hybrid of comic action sequences and videogames.

Madureira feels passionate about making a Western JRPG. “Why aren't people in the states making these games?” he asks. “There's a lot of love for these old games but there aren't many studios that are willing to do it, so we kind of took it upon ourselves to do something.”

Outside the classically orchestrated combat though, Airship Syndicate are looking to make Nightwar a little different from traditional JRPGs. “We have randomly generated dungeons, we have randomly generated loot, and the dungeons are more action-based,” notes Madureira, citing Diablo as a point of reference.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1548028600/battle-chasers-nightwar/posts/1771122

December Battle Chasers: Nightwar Update!

Happy New Year (almost), Backers!
No preamble this time, just a shiny assortment of brand-spanking-new animated GIFs (jiffs?)!

But what does it all mean...?

afbd8c624560c587f466d84389df8a4a_original.gif

452a6bebc457cfa21033a9714c7098f5_original.gif

a90134f3eaf7e8b95453f20eb9519133_original.gif

895ed84afd588a3112c19206345f1529_original.gif

e0998a3b9f20e47e5847e428e8d4df30_original.gif

029387c85ab3a9542255779e45ced910_original.gif

72d6de34c5ca3f3836da2b4f42c81418_original.gif

5fea2e5861bd4577786c331bd82859f6_original.gif

Crafting System
Some of the best gear is made at crafting stations found in dungeons. When you reach them, recipes are simple: put in the required ingredients for a 100% chance to make an uncommon-quality item.

In a few twists, you can try with LESS than the required ingredients, and you'll see your percentage chance to succeed (or fail, and lose all of the ingredients). You can put MORE than the required ingredients into the craft, increasing your chance to make a rare or better item.

Pile in enough, and you'll add up to a guaranteed epic version of any equippable item.

0d8c58b4d4d3fc8d5a53b6781f6204e3_original.gif

Alpha and Beta
We didn't get to alpha before Christmas like we had hoped, but are still aiming for the first quarter of '17 for both. We're still holding steady on our planned mid-2017 ship date. Many have asked when they'll choose their platform: this will be around the Beta date.

New Characters
Meet two new members of the Battle Chasers universe... the to-be-named Beastmaster (stretch goal!) and the tavern keeper, Dogan.

5a1db5dd20654a6fa71ea635d0874af5_original.jpg

f36593097e28d5d2604f19fcee7f9e0b_original.jpg

To 2017
Thanks all. Merry Christmas, Happy New Year, Happy Holidays... all of it!

-Airship

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The game has a release date: October 3 is now official. Price is €29.99 (currently 10% off).

Renevent

Cipher
Anyone else playing the beta/pre-release version? I'm about 8 hours in and really like it so far. It def plays like an old school SNES rpg, except without any weebo bullshit or long cutscenes with emo crying. While I did start out playing cRPG's like Pool of Radiance and my favorite RPG's period are games like Baldur's Gate, Fallout, and Temple of Elemental Evil, I've also enjoyed NES and SNES/Genesis jRPG's as well. The problem is almost all jRPG's these days are full of weebo nonsense or the battle systems have evolved into strange and shitty real-time-action-phase-whatever horseshit. It's not like NES/SNES/Genesis jRPG's were all that adult themed back then either, but I was younger so maybe it didn't bother me as much...and to be fair there were limitations in technology at the time so the lame shit was kept to a minimum.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm not a backer, so I can't play the beta. Will play this and ELEX in October.

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Wishlisted. £24.99 is a bit pricey to take a punt on D1P, but it looks good to me. Waiting for some impressions first, especially around depth of the combat.

... and in b4 move to JRPG forum.

Sneaky Seal

Aurum Dust
Developer
Battle Chasers: Nightwar is avaiable on Steam as of now: http://store.steampowered.com/app/45…sers_Nightwar/

They promise:
  • randomly generated dungeons
  • compelling combat
  • unique characters
  • rich weapons crafting system
  • an amazing soundtrack

Here's a gameplay vid:

Didn't play it yet myself, but already heard good things from my friends.

Has anybody played it? Any first impressions to share?

EDIT: not sure if this should be in the jRPG section, probably not.

Jinn

Arcane
I was looking at this with a fair amount of interest just now until I found out the dungeons are randomly-generated. This shit ass trend needs to stop.

Would be interested to hear if they at least pulled it off as well as a could be though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom