Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Battle Chasers: Nightwar - JRPG-inspired RPG based on the comic book by Joe Madureira

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1548028600/battle-chasers-nightwar
Steam Greenlight: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=512363629

https://www.battlechasers.com

https://af.gog.com/game/battle_chasers_nightwar?as=1649904300

B-yGhNZWoAAI9WO.jpg

Darksiders creator Joe Madureira has announced a new game based on his Battle Chasers comics from the late ’90s. It told stories of fantastic adventures in an arcanepunk setting, with a style reminiscent of old Heavy Metal comics — burly men and buxom women swinging huge swords. Battle Chasers will be a role-playing game with a sense of adventure, a classic and old school but presented with some new modern twists

http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/battle-chasers-announced/

Last edited by a moderator:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The game is called Battle Chasers. Airship Syndicate is the name of the development studio.

http://www.polygon.com/2015/2/26/8112963/battle-chasers-game-comic-joe-madureira

Battle Chasers returning as a game and comic book

Fourteen years after putting the ninth issue of comic book Battle Chasers to bed, Joe Madureira is pulling it out of retirement. And he's bringing it back as both a comic and a game.

In the late '90s, Madureira created the hardcore favorite comic series, known for its distinctive art and inconsistent schedule. As the years went on, the series faded away and Madureira shifted to a career in games, co-founding developer Vigil and overseeing the Darksiders action series.

Now Madureira and Vigil co-founder Ryan Stefanelli are digging into Madureira's past for their new company, Airship Syndicate.

Speaking to Polygon, Madureira and Stefanelli say they aren't ready to describe the Battle Chasers game in detail yet, but that it will be a role-playing game, players will get to control classic Battle Chasers characters including Garrison, Gully and Calibretto and the game will feature a sense of adventure similar to the Darksiders games. [Update: In the original version of this story, we reported Airship saying it was targeting PC and tablets. Shortly after we posted this story, Airship contacted Polygon to say that it is targeting PC and consoles, and “considering" a tablet version.]

"Even though the game mechanically is going to be very different from Darksiders, I think we're still really going to be doing everything we can to make sure that the dungeon exploration side of the game is soaked with lots of fun adventurous elements," says Stefanelli.

Stefanelli adds that he hopes to keep the development team small, between 10 and 15 people, to make a game that is "kind of classic and old school but presented with some new modern twists."

For the comic, Madureira doesn't have a publisher or a release date to announce, and says part of the appeal for him at this point is seeing the franchise evolve as his tastes have evolved. "I partially just want to update it," he says. "I think it's going to get a visual overhaul too. My art style and storytelling style, everything's sort of changed and evolved over the years."

Madureira says he's thinking of the new comic run in three-issue arcs. The first of those will wrap up the story he left dangling in 2001 — "so people can finally stop asking," he jokes — and tie into the game. After that, he says he'd like to do further three-issue arcs but he's waiting to see how everything shakes out before committing to more.

At the moment, Airship is looking for funding for the game, and hasn't decided whether that will be from an investor, a publisher or Kickstarter. "We're going to sort of let fate decide for us exactly how we should best pay for the game," says Stefanelli.

And while Madureira and Stefanelli say they expect the game will occupy the majority of their time, they are also interested in making Battle Chasers into a franchise with other branches, should the right opportunities come along.

"I've always wanted to do an animated series, possibly, so there's a couple of different options that we're pursuing for bringing the franchise back in a big way," says Madureira.

Airship Syndicate hasn't announced a release timeframe yet for the comic or game, given that both are still in early stages. Check out the gallery above for a first look at concept art for the game.

Renevent

Cipher
Man...Darksiders was the shit! Was really the first game in a long time to capture that "Zelda" style of gameplay and had awesome bloody combat. I liked DSII as well, although I think they didn't quite pull it off and were overly ambitious which made the game suffer. Was really bummed when I found out the series basically died with THQ.

Anyways reading the press release I got really excited...then that quickly turned to apprehension when I read the bit about being on tablets. I realize they updated their position on that but still...

pippin

I remember this comic. It was like some sort of medieval fantasy fanfiction of something like WoW, but with (bigger) tits.

77223-90491-red-monika.jpg

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Kickstarter launched: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1548028600/battle-chasers-nightwar

The goal is $500K, and they got almost 60K in a couple of hours.

Battle Chasers: Nightwar is a love letter to one of our favorite genres of gaming: the JRPG. We grew up playing legends like Final Fantasy, Suikoden, Chrono Trigger, and Phantasy Star. While many greats continue to come from Japan, very few western developers are creating them.

With your help, we're going to change that.
  • Plan for survival. The desolate town of Harm's Way is your only place to prepare. Choose three of the many heroes you've unlocked, fill your travel backpack with items from your stash, make sure you've chosen the best equipment and abilities for each hero... and then strike out.
a6190663b4d6e0f7a28ba913d2cf9bd2_original.jpg

• Explore an overworld presented in classic form, peppered with hidden dungeons, rare bosses and randomly appearing friends and foes.
888992934d485f26252c0dfc23465a3e_original.jpg

• Old-school combat inspired by the console RPG greats, with a unique two-tiered mana system and turn-based initiative, featuring random buffs and debuffs on initiative slots
65b23a2e3dd245b1a18100e6af5bc568_original.gif

• Action oriented, randomly-generated dungeons loaded with traps, puzzles and secrets. Use each hero's unique dungeon skills to survive!
24872ef07f5967149db11e35920837bb_original.jpg

• Non-linear story driven by the discovery of lore on items, landmarks and secret elements in the world. Discovering these will both provide deeper insight into the mysterious Lost Vale, and also reward lore points, which are used to upgrade the heroes' different abilities
1c173265177dab8aec56729778a17ad2_original.jpg

• Truly key story moments will be depicted in gorgeous, traditional 2D animation from Powerhouse Animation Studios. For these, sit back and enjoy.

*-*/\--/\~

Cipher
So.... "yet another cartoony jrpg with loads of randomly generated shit"? No thanks, now go play in traffic.

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
Well it look OK to me. Certainly better than many Kickstarters and western jRPG attempts. Certainly not the game I'd donate to, especially since a copy costs 20 bucks instead of 15 but a game I'd consider buying after it's released. I like that it has a competent cartoonist behind it so it tries to capture the spirit of more silly anime but is not horrible western knockoff of popular anime.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I faintly recall the comic from back then, so I looked it up on Wikipedia and found this sentence:

A pulchritudinous warrior named Red Monika tries to enlist Garrison

WTF is that word?

*looks it up*

pulchritudinous (verb) = having physical comeliness

:whatho:

Renevent

Cipher
Not a fan of JRPG's but that looks awesome, plus, I really liked the Darksider series...backed.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I faintly recall the comic from back then, so I looked it up on Wikipedia and found this sentence:

WTF is that word?

*looks it up*

:whatho:

I like that word, because it's one of those rare ones that sound completely unlike what they mean.

Tigranes

Arcane
Notably, pulchritudinous is a word on the GRE lists - a test that is supposed to evaluate foreigners' English proficiency for graduate level study in the US.

Which probably guarantees that only non-native speakers will ever know the word.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Everyhting sounded great; joe mad, final fantasy 4 inspired combat, good anime style... And randomly generated dungeons
Why? Better to make a good 25 hour game with maybe 8 dungeons than bland uninspired 100 random generated bleh
Would have given my money right away but jrpg and random generated shit dont mesh in my mind; it works for sonething new like Darkest Dungeon but none of the classic jrpgs hd this brilliant idea for a reason; it kills pacing and discorages exploration

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Like everything here except randomness.

Отправлено с моего Philips W336 через Tapatalk

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
I don't know. It kinda depends on if it's Diablo 2 randomness or your average roguelike randomness.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Dungeons are a random arrangement of hand-crafted rooms
So? So were the chalice dungeons in Bloodborne and they didnt exactly suck but they didnt hold a candle to the ingame dungeons and content
In this day and age of failed promises I this little fact is enough for me to not kickstart and see how it goes... It is as simple as that for me

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom