Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Battle Brothers + Beasts & Exploration, Warriors of the North and Blazing Deserts DLC Thread

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I KNOW what your problem with BB is: time wasting. Game is slow, turns take forever

Then you don't know anything.

You'll soon (tm) be able to read all my arguments however.

You need to accept that Oldskool RPGs & Friends have a cargo cult thing about being slow and wasting as much of the player's time as possible.

now this is just pure idiocy

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I dont know guys; probably have played it over 60 hours and since I am still learning new stuff like the perks I still have a lot of fun watching my team become a deadly killing machine or getting enough money for this armor or that helmet
Maybe I dont miss the reactivity because I never experienced it on the game but so far I am enjoying it tremendously
As for playing a game 900 hours... yeah I think I might easily have 500 on Dark Souls alone let alone the whole series

oneself

Arcane
Shitposter
A minority-white, multicultural hellscape
my most powerful warrior

ybHiw5K.png

Cadmus

Arcane
Is the 300 armor the best there is? I've seen the militia wearing some nice stuff but I can't seem to be able to get it.

rezaf

Cipher

Ok. I yield. Obviously, I must be mistaken.
This medieval themed game in which you roam a randomly generated land with a single mercenary company, hiring a small number of men along the road and taking them into quite minimalistic (but good!) hex-based combats which have a slight chess feel to them to solve also randomly generated contracts, finally facing an endgame crisis after which you may or may not retire is CLEARLY a carbon copy of X-Com, a scifi-themed game taking place on always the same simple representation of the planet earth, where you build and operate a variety of bases - each with their own staff, intercept UFOs, research technologies, produce your own stuff, fight complex combats on a wide variety of randomly generated tile-based missionsites which involve all kinds of destructible terrain including multi-level buildings and eventually flying armor and remote controlled rockets, learn psi-powers and eventually fly to the mars to take out their homebase.
I mean, how could I not see all these similarities I just listed? How blind must I've been?

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
You'll soon (tm) be able to read all my arguments however.

(Y)

now this is just pure idiocy

No, that's a factually accurate statement. Your beloved Blackguards for instance can be played at 2x speed and it barely looks sped up. That's how slow and time wasting the game is. Not to mention going from town to town looking for arrows...

Is the 300 armor the best there is?

I've seen a 400 magical "heraldic mail" for sale for about 33k. Look for caravan contracts heading to a city with armorer. "Well supplied" drastically increases the odds of magical stuff. Same goes for weapons.

Last edited:

Tigranes

Arcane
My current band of political philosophers is finding it tough to break into late game power from mid-game. A few unlucky deaths on promising men and now I'm in the loop of levelling newbies up to level 5+ while trying not to get anyone killed - and not getting my renown way too high.

Actually, it seems like it's very hard to find non-contract related roaming mobs in the gameworld after a while, unless you go to the outskirt wilderness. Maybe by design? Maybe I should just make one faction an enemy and start raiding their caravans or something.

I just dare not go up against more than a couple of Orc Berserkers, or any necrosavants, because I'm a wimp.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
No, that's a factually accurate statement.

go play some actual oldschool games (and not 2010+ "oldschool") and see how many of them go out of their way to waste the player's time with slow movement, long-ass animations and whatever the fuck else

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
Do some trading/deliveries to get back on your feet. And use rookies you want alive as pikemen/billmen. IME those tend to have the best life expectancy.

Late game things to buy (aka they don't drop very often): fighting axe, winged mace, greataxe, greathammer, heavy crossbow, war bow, reinforced hauberk, scale armor, coast of scales and, ofc, magic goodies.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
No, that's a factually accurate statement.

go play some actual oldschool games (and not 2010+ "oldschool") and see how many of them go out of their way to waste the player's time with slow movement, long-ass animations and whatever the fuck else

So all those random encounters with trash mobs in fallout 2 overland map were Not wasting my time? The entire early game with long mazes full of trash mobs (each slowly taking its turn) wasn't wasting my time? That oil rig where you have to wait half an hour while ppl take pot shots at your power armor?

What about temple of elemental evil? That game turned wasting the player's time into a Fucking art form. That's where nu-oldskool gets the idea that wasting the player's time is a good thing.

That's completely beside the point, tho. BB's time wasting can be removed with CE.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2

This medieval themed game in which you roam a randomly generated land with a single mercenary company, hiring a small number of men along the road and taking them into quite minimalistic (but good!) hex-based combats which have a slight chess feel to them to solve also randomly generated contracts, finally facing an endgame crisis after which you may or may not retire is CLEARLY a carbon copy of X-Com, a scifi-themed game taking place on always the same simple representation of the planet earth, where you build and operate a variety of bases - each with their own staff, intercept UFOs, research technologies, produce your own stuff, fight complex combats on a wide variety of randomly generated tile-based missionsites which involve all kinds of destructible terrain including multi-level buildings and eventually flying armor and remote controlled rockets, learn psi-powers and eventually fly to the mars to take out their homebase.
I mean, how could I not see all these similarities I just listed? How blind must I've been?

No really you know best buddy hell you even know more about what XCom is than the actual designer of the game
Good sir you are an Internet God

Arulan

Cipher
This was an interesting fight. 5 Geists, 3 Fallen Heroes, and around 16 Armored Wiederganger. I managed to secure high ground, and was able to keep the Fallen Heroes back for the most part while I killed the Wiedergangers. I have two fantastic dedicated Spearman who I've always found to be essential for almost every fight. I have to remember to give them another spear during certain fights though. I've come close to breaking it on a number of fights now. The Geists were a problem, but manageable.

fallenlooth1uj3.png

Not bad.

Serus

Arcane
Patron

No really you know best buddy hell you even know more about what XCom is than the actual designer of the game
Good sir you are an Internet God

Argumentum ad auctoritatem AND an insult in such a short post. YOU are a Codex god.
I'm not saying that the other guys is right or Gollop is wrong.

Iluvcheezcake

Prophet
So i started a new playthrough with a full dagger company. Had a rough start but gotta say that it is HILARIOUSLY easy now, day 20. Strikes ignore armor completely, i keep raking in 100% durability armor. I guess the bane of my existence would be undead but for them i will take some other weapon spec as well. Pure dagger is just FUN.

Andnjord

Arcane
So i started a new playthrough with a full dagger company. Had a rough start but gotta say that it is HILARIOUSLY easy now, day 20. Strikes ignore armor completely, i keep raking in 100% durability armor. I guess the bane of my existence would be undead but for them i will take some other weapon spec as well. Pure dagger is just FUN.
Don't you have issues with shieldwalling people?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

any germans?

Link: http://podcast.sothi.de/spielwiese-podcast-31-battle-brothers-entwicklerinterview/

Google Translate said:
Battle Brothers - an XCOM in the Middle Ages?

If you believe the Overhype Studios , the original idea of Battle Brothers is born out of pure need. As great fans of the XCOM series, the Taaks brothers liked an XCOM in the Middle Ages - and had to find disappointed: there is nothing. So they did what they did as an ambitious player: develop their own concept, set up a company, design graphics, implement the idea into program code. The mercantile epic Battle Brothers , which has been given a very good tactical part, has been given a wonderfully motivating role and strategy part, reminiscent of the wonderful indie pearl Mount & Blade .

Since Battle Brothers not only in the Steam gaming community with currently 92% at over 2,300 reviews found but also with Benni and Alex very well received, it was time for the big stage in our world famous this exceptional title playground podcast to prepare . In the next few minutes, we will explain in detail how the game mechanics work and what makes the special appeal of the Battle Brothers.

On to New Shores: The Developer Interview
Premiere in the SWP : For the first time, we have taken a heart and invited the developers to the interview. Jan Taaks , responsible for business and marketing, answered a lot of questions and told us a bit from the sewing box. Who would have thought that in the game a crashed UFO was supposed to be a basic theme in a medieval world? Further topics such as the extremely positive customer resonance, design decisions on the game, the establishment of the Overhype Studios, the office situation of the small indie studio or the further planning of the future can also be found in the approximately 50 minutes long interview . By the way, Jan gives very helpful tips for other developers.

The podcast is divided into three sections. In the first section, Benni and I talk about Battle Brothers in detail, followed by the interview. And in the continuation we both draw a small resume. The corresponding timecodes can be found in the Timeline.

Sources / links:

TIMELINE:

02:48:00 Introduction to Battle Brothers
01:25:00 Interview with Jan Taaks (Overhype Studios)
02:17:27 Last thoughts on the game and interview

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom