Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Battle Brothers + Beasts & Exploration, Warriors of the North and Blazing Deserts DLC Thread

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
For throwing you probably need quick-hands and (maybe) bags&belts and (maybe) duelist.

Parabalus

Arcane
I have 6 archers and 6 frontliners, with whom should i use rotation? With another archer or frontline (who is in melee)?

About archers being shot, i prefer enemy shooting battle-forged in plate with a lot of hp.

With crossbowman - problem is if you moved even 1 tile, you cant mantain 1 shot per round, unless it is 1st round. So you often have choice either shoot at enemy when you cant get good position or clear shot, or move so you can shoot in next turn.

On other hand you get 2-3 kills per crossbowman, you can relocate 2-3 times per battle, probably enough.

I never had more than 4 archers. How did you get so many good people? To get one quality archer I need to try like 5 people minimum before I get somebody with good enough stats.
If somebody melees your archer I ideally rotation on him with my sergeant so he can double shot, or if nobody is around drop a dog and rotation the mutt.

Crossbowman shooting your plate does more damage than on nimble guys. I agree with you, but enemy marksman shooting are very dangerous regardless of the target since they can always luck out, unless it's on 320+ undamaged plate.

Never really had to move crossbowman so much, usually only the first round to a ledge or behind frontline. I will try it out though.

"drop pathfinder, bullseye, and anticipation for executioner, nimble, rotation, maybe headhunter for dodge since you don't want to strip head armor often."

Hmm, without pathfinder you have trouble climbing, also in some maps like swamps you can get in trouble.
Without bulls-eye you have trouble killing necromancer for example who often blocked.

Anticipation, without it - how you reliably avoid enemy ranged dmg? 1-2 crossbow hit and you in trouble.

Executioner looks nice but it doesnt work on undead... wasted perk in that fights.

Head-hunter is for crossbow (archer wont take).

I have bullseye on archers. On crossbowman it's less important since you don't mind hitting armored people standing in front.

Pathfinder does shine in swamps but for it to give you an extra shot in a round you have to swap 2 levels of elevation, you can space that out over two rounds.

Well, if I had anticipation on archers enemy marksmen would just focus my front line. I don't want to give everyone Rdef so it becomes moot. Enemy crossbowman won't fire on your own archers if you don't move them, ie. wait with all your guys, they will either stay put when it's their turn and fire on your frontline or move up, not firing at all usually. Then you kill them before they act, enemy bow users are a far larger threat. For anticipation to be good you need around 20 base rdef, you could prolly pull that out of fatigue, it's probably worth it but ehh.

I don't take head-hunter for crossbows but for archers.

For throwing you probably need quick-hands and (maybe) bags&belts and (maybe) duelist.

You definitely need all three, it does a lot of damage but the builds needs high levels to get going.

Kuattro

Augur
Initiative isn't that good on xbow. Vs enemy archers it's advantageous to move after them, since you both wait and their xbow will move and shoot first, giving you a clear shot.

Ranged def isn't really useful on your archers. Unless your entire outfit is high def enemy archers will just gangbang your other guys while staying out of range of your own archers, which is much worse than them shooting you and you killing them back.

Rotation is superior to footwork and you don't really need both. You need bags&belts + quick hands for anything involving throwing, you will be useless otherwise. Quick hands for archers is very good but not mandatory.

Agreed that there is no real reason to go hybrid melee/ranged, you are just wasting valuable stat points.

Initiative+dodge (which depends on initiative) = ninja ranged bros, at least for the first turns, when fatigue doesn't fuck with your initiative, and those first turns are where any ranged confrontation is decided anyway. I can't even remember when was the last time one of my ranged brothers was hit by an arrow. Even more so when your crossbows have to get near their bowmen to get them. Nobody likes to be on the receiving end of Crécy, thank you very much.

No ranged defence on your archers? Now I understand why everybody complains about enemy ranged units murdering their archers in one turn. I pump it every single level up, even if it's only +1.

Otherwise your archers fire first, your melee brothers advance, and then their archers murder yours because they don't have a shield in front of them anymore, and no ranged defence.

The enemy range units attacking anyone but my archers? GOOD. Everyone has heavy armor, heavy helmets, my 2 handers have steel brow and my shield bros a big ass kite shield. Good luck with that.

And while they are trying to open my tin men, my archers will kill them all. Everybody wins. Except them.

And the enemy archers shouldn't be able to fire at your bros while outside your archers range, unless you are charging ahead with your line while leaving the archers behind. And why would you do that? Besides they don't really do that, normally they either turtle up when in ranged superiority, or they charge at you, and then THEY leave their archers exposed to yours.

Rotation needs you to have an ally next to you, and if that ally is already in melee, you've just gone from one bad situation to another. Footwork let's you dance away even if you are alone in the world, while the necrosavant gets netted and poked to death by the cavalry.

My legionaries get b&b and quickhands, but only because my shieldbro build is perk-light. I'm pretty sure they could manage with loosing half a turn to change weapons, and with carrying only EIGHT throwing axes.

My range bros on the other hand never get neither, and seem to be doing okay. If they're not using any melee weapon, that's 30 ammunition they're carrying. Unless they enter machinegun mode, it's never been a problem.

In the end, I suppose it comes to personal choice.

¿Berserker on crossbowmen? Surely that's heresy. It doesn't benefit them in the least. Drop it.

thing is you run out of viable perks on a crossbowman very fast, so then you just pick shit at random even if the boon is negligible, and berserk gives you a free attack every now and again (kill, reload, shoop again), which isn't the worst of deals

We must play crossbowman differently.

I do need extra-perks.

If i had room, i would take executioner (since i cripple every hit) and frenzy, for example. Also would take battlle-forged. Adrenaline looks nice for some situations for low Int crossbowman, etc.

Absolutely agree. When I was ready to create my definitive builds, I always ran into the same problem with my ranged bros: not enough perks. In the end it was sacrifice either pathfinder or bulls-eye. Normally I go with the first.

And berserker would only give you an extra attack, in the first turn, if you manage to kill an enemy with the first bolt:

You start with 9 AP, -2 for the attack, 7 AP. If (if!) it kills, you are back on 9 AP. -7 to reload, 2 AP, one more shot. End turn.

Next turn, you need to reload, 9 AP - 7 AP leaves 2 AP. Even if you manage to kill an enemy with that shot, you only have 4 AP. Not enough to reload (enough to relocate, as has been said before).

And then next turn you need to reload again, so even if you manage to kill an enemy, you can never reload twice in a turn (14 AP). Berserker on crossbowmen (if taken to attack) is useless, except on the first turn, in very exceptional situations.

Or I'm bad at math, which is also a possibility.

I seem to remember carrying loaded crossbows in the bags and changing them with quickhands and shooting god knows how many times in a turn, but either they changed it (because stashed crossbows start unloaded now) or my mind is playing tricks with me.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Next turn, you need to reload, 9 AP - 7 AP leaves 2 AP. Even if you manage to kill an enemy with that shot, you only have 4 AP. Not enough to reload (enough to relocate, as has been said before).
You can reload but not attack, so next turn you will have 9 ap and loaded crossbow and berserk can proc again.

1 turn - shot, reload, shot. 2 turn - reload, skip. 3 turn - shot, reload, shot. If you can kill enemies, of course.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
I use berserk to move crossbowman to better position. Because if he moves in any place, he loses his shot for this or next turn.

Moving with crossbowman is bad idea. Unlike archer who lose 1 shot out of 2. Crossbowman use 1 out of 1.

rezaf

Cipher
Battle Brothers is a challenging turn based strategy RPG mix for PC, Mac and Linux. The gameplay is inspired by such classics as X-com: UFO Defense and Jagged Alliance. It is being developed by Overhype Studios and is currently in Early Access.

Overhype Studios says that Battle Brothers is inspired by games like X-COM: UFO Defense and Warhammer: Shadow of the Horned Rat.

Yeah, I gotta damit I don't have the habit of scouring the net for press releases before posting. Sue me.

People compare it with "X-Com", you fucking illiterate dumbfuck newfag.

Posted that last one from the phone and couldn't be arsed to insert a hyphen. Sue me.

And the similarities are obvious and undeniable to anyone who isn't suffering from frontotemporal lobar degeneration. Especially when the god damn developers of the fucking game do it.

Developers claim a lot of things that aren't true, in case you didn't know.
Degeneration or not, I can only admire your ability to look into a cloud and see the entirety of the novel War and Peace depicted therein. 'Cause if you recognize X-Com in Battle Brothers, that's how good your imagination has to be.

Now shut your whore mouth and let the grown ups do the talking.
haughty.png

Kuattro

Augur
You can reload but not attack, so next turn you will have 9 ap and loaded crossbow and berserk can proc again.

1 turn - shot, reload, shot. 2 turn - reload, skip. 3 turn - shot, reload, shot. If you can kill enemies, of course.

Presuming turn 4 is going to be reload, skip, you have fired four times in four turns, the same as if you fired and reloaded normally.

Now, this method's only advantage would be if it was more fatigue efficient (but I suspect the opposite is true, all that reloading and firing in burst...) but still, is heavily dependent on killing an enemy every other turn. This is BB, if you depend on the RNG, you've already lost.

I use berserk to move crossbowman to better position. Because if he moves in any place, he loses his shot for this or next turn.

Moving with crossbowman is bad idea. Unlike archer who lose 1 shot out of 2. Crossbowman use 1 out of 1.

You can fire, not reload, and use the remaining 7 AP to move to a better position. Then next turn you just reload before firing, and you have lost nothing. You just reload each turn before firing, instead of the other way around, which is what normally happens to me anyway.

And you're still depending on killing an enemy to move your crossbowmen. Nope, nope.

TL;DR: I still hold that berserker is a useless perk for crossbowmen.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Not the best news ever but news none the less. Glad that they are happy with how they did.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
The game recreates the XCom experience in the same way playing Infinite Warfare recreates the Wolfenstein 3D experience.

the similarities to shadow of the horned rat are also obvious and undeniable

For real? :hahano:

Maybe Julian fucking Gollop doesn't know what X-Com is about either. But hey, Codex edgelords know more than the guys that made the fucking games being compared, right?

:roll:

The game is basically entirely combat system, everything else is barely adequate or shit/nonexistent.

I'm guessing this guy gets a perfect BJ from a hooker and then complains that she didn't notice his new shirt and didn't ask him about his day or whatever. Nigga please. What exactly is "everything else"?

Core gameplay mechanics is what the Codex SAY that matters, but when push comes to shove you people bitch and moan about the lack of useless fluff. What would make the game better? A goblin companion telling you about the plights of the goblin people and how they have NO CHOICE but to rob travellers? More production values (NO SHIT, SHERLOCK!)? NO?

The game IS about combat, in case you missed that part.

Last edited:

Sarissofoi

Arbiter
The game is basically entirely combat system, everything else is barely adequate or shit/nonexistent.

I'm guessing this guy gets a perfect BJ from a hooker and then complains that she didn't notice his new shirt and didn't ask him about his day or whatever. Nigga please. What exactly is "everything else"?

Core gameplay mechanics is what the Codex SAY that matters, but when push comes to shove you people bitch and moan about the lack of useless fluff. What would make the game better? A goblin companion telling you about the plights of the goblin people and how they have NO CHOICE but to rob travellers? More production values (NO SHIT, SHERLOCK!)? NO?

Do not be retarded.
World map mechanics that was promised at the start. Living world/simulation that player action can affect in long way and actually alive factions and enemies that are permanent and influence each other.
Now we have factions that ignore orc camp nearby their cities and do not send company of soldiers to wipe them and other merc companies who never will take contract because contracts are for player, enemy factions that never will take over other enemy camps or destroy them.
Enemies&allies that are randomly generated before combat and change equipment, look and even names from fight to fight. No situation that arise slowly and turn situation on the map.
Game have solid combat but that is all.
You will never ambush wounded enemy raiders that come back to their camp full of loot.
You will never kill that orc warchief who united clans and his death divide them into hostile factions who fight each other for glory and loot.
You will never be hired to clear and burn enemy stronghold to see how in this place grow small outpost that in the end grow into castle surrounded by farms and logging camps.
You never will find and kill the noble who double-cross you.
You will never meet bandit Bob who run on that first fight with you when you slaughter his companions and when you were hunting orcs he become bandit leader and come back with revenge.
You will never see small border town that is ravaged by orcs to beg noble Lords for protection because no of mercenary companies they hire could beat orcs back.
Tell me honestly if this things would not make game better?

Tigranes

Arcane

Why the butthurt and rage cry? I've spent a lot of hours on this game and my posts in this thread show how much I like it. Doesn't mean it couldn't be better with, for instance, random events firing more than once in a blue moon, the late game being more than 'here's that combat you like except shittier because it has 40 enemies', etc. Hell, even a reason to actually turn against certain towns - or more dynamic wandering mobs - would be cool. What do you think people are talking about, better graphics?

Sarissofoi

Arbiter
1- Jan seems happy with sales, player and media reception
2- Overhype is exhausted by postlaunch and wants to take a break after 1.1
3- German labor regulations make it expensive to hire, so Overhype has only 3 FT staff, everyone else (writer, music) is a contractor
4- Staff limitations constrain what they can put into the game
5- Jan is supportive of modding but says that they would be embarrassed to open up their spaghetti code with little to no comments/documentation to the general public. And they have no capacity to develop modding tools because above
6- Sounds like he is satisfied with the existing level of simulation in the game already
7- DLC is possible but maybe in 6 months
8- BB2 is a distant possibility but Overhype has other stuff they want to do. Jan mentioned wanting to do a KODP or Jagged Alliance

1. Fine by me.
2. Sure.
3. Move to Romania or Turkland or Ukraine. Do not care but OK.
4. Obvious.
5. Wait. What. Seriously. Just let the people mess with it. They will do it for free.
6. Haha. That is no good. No good at all. Older builds have more simulation that current ones and he is OK with that?
7. Well... 6 months and now new content. Amazing(not).
8. Good luck with that. I do not see them doing good JA or KoDP because three things. Limited resources, their writing and narration suck(compared to KoDP) and no cash for voice actors(JA).

Sadly I was right.
Well I have my fun. Not exactly what I want and not even what I expected. Decent game with solid combat but that is all. Worth the money I spend. Still disappointing. EA games are a mistake.
>but you spend over 900 hours
Yeah and like 95% in EA testing shit and rest because YT gameplay.
Release do not bring any new stuff and well no new stuff in next half year mean no reason to come back.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
Holy fucking shit man, how can you even play a game for 900 hours... I don't even think this is humanely possible. This is serious shit here : not humanely possible. Playing a game for 900h makes you entirely gone from the "human" species ; you become something else entirely. Something greater? A cockroach? Who knows, but the point is - when you're there, where your consciousness has been elevated-degraded, you just don't experience the same things as the rest of "humans" do. You don't even speak the same language anymore, your thoughts become strange and confusing, something that provokes awe and fear. One thing is certain, and this is that you don't have anything in common with the rest of us anymore. You made yourself a mountain of cold solitude. You want to reach out, make others "see" your truth, but this is just not possible. They'd have to follow the same lonely path that you did. Who wants to mutilate themselves in such a way? It'd be pure foolishness.

Here I come brother. 900h. I will find the Sun as you did, and burn my wings upon its flames ; it's time for me to truly become the greater degenerate that I always was meant to be. Finally I will understand why this game is truly "just okay"

oneself

Arcane
Shitposter
A minority-white, multicultural hellscape
Holy fucking shit man, how can you even play a game for 900 hours... I don't even think this is humanely possible. This is serious shit here : not humanely possible. Playing a game for 900h makes you entirely gone from the "human" species ; you become something else entirely. Something greater? A cockroach? Who knows, but the point is - when you're there, where your consciousness has been elevated-degraded, you just don't experience the same things as the rest of "humans" do. You don't even speak the same language anymore, your thoughts become strange and confusing, something that provokes awe and fear. One thing is certain, and this is that you don't have anything in common with the rest of us anymore. You made yourself a mountain of cold solitude. You want to reach out, make others "see" your truth, but this is just not possible. They'd have to follow the same lonely path that you did. Who wants to mutilate themselves in such a way? It'd be pure foolishness.

Here I come brother. 900h. I will find the Sun as you did, and burn my wings upon its flames ; it's time for me to truly become the greater degenerate that I always was meant to be. Finally I will understand why this game is truly "just okay"

Relevant username.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
B2142026EA8EFD662FEBB9CAF3AEF3BD4877E2B4

Anyone ever got lower prices than that? :P

agris Seed is 3963cf. That on the screenshot is the very first city. Small city with cheap tools and an armorer. And some goat cheese. To the south there is a big harbor city and right next to it there is a citadel.

'snip
Tell me honestly if this things would not make game better?

Yes, they would. These are all great suggestions but here is the thing: whenever you compare a real game with a game that only exists in your mind, the former will ALWAYS come out short. And I don't think Overhype lied to our faces or anything. "Reactive world" is a vague term and BB's world DOES react to your choices. I had 3 cities getting burned to the ground by the greenskins in my last game. You also have the choice to betray your employer on several occasions and that results in a hostile settlement. There is also the Necropolis thing (tho I didn't see one in my undead game).

We can always wish for more, but at the end of the day there is only so much a team of four guys can do. IMHO they did more than all the failed JA reboots and Nuxcom put together.

Frankly? Celerity syndrome is clearly a thing.

skyst

Augur
BB is a brilliant, if simple, offering and there is so much potential to make a truly glorious game out of BB2. This game really scratches some itches I have had for years, created by games like Ogre Battle: MotBQ or maybe FFT. Overhype should just double down on Battle Brothers.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
The game recreates the XCom experience in the same way playing Infinite Warfare recreates the Wolfenstein 3D experience.

the similarities to shadow of the horned rat are also obvious and undeniable

For real? :hahano:

Maybe Julian fucking Gollop doesn't know what X-Com is about either. But hey, Codex edgelords know more than the guys that made the fucking games being compared, right?

:roll:

ah, finally some good cultism

there hasn't been any in this thread for a while

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Considering the main focus is the combat, something the game should improve upon is in variety regarding battle locations, namely constructions and fortifications. It's very jarring when you attack a bandit camp, or ancient fortress and you meet them in the open, instead of the AI taking advantage of a fortified position.

That's something that fits the focus of the game, and that would immensely improve the gameplay.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron

DUDE, please stop. Just stop. You throw that word around whenever you lack a proper argument. I KNOW what your problem with BB is: time wasting. Game is slow, turns take forever etc etc = you burn out and start nitpicking. It's the same thing with Underrail (tho that game you kinda disliked from the start...). You need to accept that Oldskool RPGs & Friends have a cargo cult thing about being slow and wasting as much of the player's time as possible. YES, AoD/DR don't do that, but VD makes a point about not wasting the player's time (and look at all the shit he got for the teleportation in AoD). In most cases you need to use Cheat Engine speedhack. That's how I play BB, Underrail AND Blackguards.

I don't think the game is perfect, much could be improved. The post above offers a great example, but it IS very, VERY good and I got all my money's worth and then some. If there is a DLC I'll buy it and I'll be sure to support another game from Overhype. I guess that's as good as it gets nowadays. Well, unless Xenonauts 2 surprises everyone.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom