Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Battle Brothers + Beasts & Exploration, Warriors of the North and Blazing Deserts DLC Thread

Sarissofoi

Arbiter
Sarissofoi do you find 1handed/light armor swordmaster builds viable?
Something like that?
Light%20Duelist.jpg

Also in what sense viable?
As a mainline? Not really. Anything they can do heavy armored duelist can do better.
All that they have is a little damage bonus.
Nimble is terrible defense as its pure RNG and it can fuck you easily. Sure you can use thema nd they are not terrible but they are not that good tanks as dedicated shield bros and not that great dps as 2handers(who can also wear heavy armor and tank with reach advantage).
Actually 2 handers are the best melee supported by some shield tanks.
Duelists can serve as Overwhelm debuffers and their offense isn't bad(especially with rare weapon) but unlucky hit can kill them and well they are just can die too easily under pressure.
Trying Cleaver man right now and he can do some damage. Not that high on defense(no dodge) so he is best used when 2handers tank as single target killer.
Cleaver%20man.jpg

Trying also train Nimble Twohander but he is fragile.
Nimble%20Zwaihander.jpg

Arulan

Cipher
I've been playing slow for my first time, but Expert is brutal. My company survives from job to job, always at risk of going broke.

I came across Nachzehrers for the first time while looking for some grave-robbers. Damn fast are they. I just managed to reach high-ground and secure the way up before they reached me. And then I learned what they can do.

A few days later I get a contract from some villagers whose holy artifact has been stolen. I find it in plain sight, but I get greedy. Nearby I see a very shiny Scythe held by an ominous-looking statue. Upon taking it, the statues come alive, and I'm confronted by a group of well-armed Undead. I decide it's too much of a risk, and the Sons of Folly fled to live another day. The artifact disintegrated away though. Fuck the villagers. I kept the Scythe. :positive:

Damn drunkard.

365360_20170326163819dduem.png

bataille

Arcane
Oh boy, here goes the beggar king. He was even named The Poor by the game.
We'll probably make stew out of him.
:salute:

Battle_Brothers_2017-03-28_00-22-23-44.jpg

Last edited:

MediantSamuel

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Started a fresh Vet Ironman campaign this eve. It's going really well, for once. Suspiciously well.

Had a pretty quaint start.

R0sXhQC.jpg

:lol:

hA3Ij34.jpg

Current bros, taken from random Codexers / people in this thread. (I lost a few of you to those ghoul things that eat people earlier. :negative:)

C0zkoLn.jpg

Sarissofoi

Arbiter
Bug fix 1.0.0.2
I am furious.
Why?
They change back to old map generation system.

Errrr what was the old system like?

Settlements sparse on map, often separated.
The map I get from Codex(no rerolls) have factions and their settlements divided into neat hubs that are close to each other.
Dunno maybe I just was lucky. Which make my fury worse as its my fault for not backing save on day 1.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
Bug fix 1.0.0.2
I am furious.
Why?

The map I get from Codex(no rerolls) have factions and their settlements divided into neat hubs that are close to each other.
Dunno maybe I just was lucky. Which make my fury worse as its my fault for not backing save on day 1.

I think you just got lucky tbh.

I'm starting to wonder if the semi-random map generation was a good idea in the first place. It's not like there's much to discover or completely new things to find in some maps rather than others. A handmade map or 2 may have been better.
Some folks on the web say it helps replayability but I dunno. It really only changes how frustrating your experience is if you get a nice map, that's it. Also a lot of coding for the one coder and they constantly had this or that issue with the generation.

Sarissofoi

Arbiter
Bug fix 1.0.0.2
I am furious.
Why?

I'm starting to wonder if the semi-random map generation was a good idea in the first place. It's not like there's much to discover or completely new things to find in some maps rather than others. A handmade map or 2 may have been better.
Some folks on the web say it helps replayability but I dunno. It really only changes how frustrating your experience is if you get a nice map, that's it. Also a lot of coding for the one coder and they constantly had this or that issue with the generation.

Why not both?
Few hand crafted map with preset conditions and enemies with options to randomize it.
And random maps with custom options.
Also ability to save and use map seed.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
Bug fix 1.0.0.2
I am furious.
Why?

Why not both?
Few hand crafted map with preset conditions and enemies with options to randomize it.
And random maps with custom options.
Also ability to save and use map seed.

Ideally, yes. But they're just like, 3 guys, and only 1 coder or something. Pretty long development cycle and they still had to drop some stuff they wanted to do (like dungeons, town fights, rivers etc).
So I think that designing a custom map would have maybe saved time and effort vs. desinging a whole procedural/random generation thing. You can always add that later if the game is successful enough, or via modding/mapmaking by the fanbase ala mount&blade/warband.

Right now it just doesn't seem to me like random map gen really adds anything worth the trouble of coding it in the first place.

Well, too late now.

Parabalus

Arcane
Got a noble sword from another brigand leader followed by a free(no battle even!) Warscythe and Ancient Bladed Pike from contracts in the same ruins.

Truly, the gods seem to favor the "KKKodex Kompany".

Also lost a guy to some serious bullshit - he got bounced by two reviving wiedergangers into a 5-cell surround, then feared by ghosts. RIP.

Ideally, yes. But they're just like, 3 guys, and only 1 coder or something. Pretty long development cycle and they still had to drop some stuff they wanted to do (like dungeons, town fights, rivers etc).
So I think that designing a custom map would have maybe saved time and effort vs. desinging a whole procedural/random generation thing. You can always add that later if the game is successful enough, or via modding/mapmaking by the fanbase ala mount&blade/warband.

Right now it just doesn't seem to me like random map gen really adds anything worth the trouble of coding it in the first place.

Well, too late now.

The map layer is pretty barren feature wise, the random maps are a good way of masking that.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
Got a noble sword from another brigand leader followed by a free(no battle even!) Warscythe and Ancient Bladed Pike from contracts in the same ruins.

Truly, the gods seem to favor the "KKKodex Kompany".

Also lost a guy to some serious bullshit - he got bounced by two reviving wiedergangers into a 5-cell surround, then feared by ghosts. RIP.

Well, too late now.

The map layer is pretty barren feature wise, the random maps are a good way of masking that.

Well they failed to mask it from me hahaha! Sigh.

That bouncing around due to Wiedergänger is really annyoing. If you kill enough of them in front of your line, the corpses will eventually spawn under the feet of your own man even if you never move and then rise and push them out of line. So annoying. I wish they'd rise at the back of their own line or something.
This can also cause your guys to break and flee if they have low resolve I think, as the rising seems to count for a "new" surround or whatever, even if the same zombie was surrounding you just moments ago.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
Okay, fucking ancient legionaries and honor guards. Just met eight of them. Lost four bros. Four! And I thought I was doing everything right, more or less -- shields, hammers, reach axes, the works. Damn thing is a steamroller. I'm feeling for those poor Germanians. Any tips?

They can be a challange... Wait until you meet honor guards haha.

The basic tips are always the same though. Don't attack certain specific enemy types until you have X armor on your guys and 2-handers in the front line.
One-handed weapons are imo very situational later on due to the fatigue cost, esp. with shield and special attacks. Spear wall doesn't work against them (except shieldless auxiliaries) because of super low damage and their ability to raise shield and then march in.

Greathammers can also destroy shields btw, don't need axes except maybe against knights/orc warriors. Warriors don't have enough defense to warrant destroying their super durable shields though.

Legion are mostly a problem because of their polearms in the back line and shields. Due to backline, you may not have time to break shields or kill the front line They don't have much armor or HP except maybe honor guard.
So what you can do (if you don't have warscythes) is: Give polearms to your front line or greatswords (greatswords aren't as good against orc warriors and knights though). That way you can hit the more dangerous bladed pike etc guys.
If you gave your frontline polearms (not greatswords):
Position yourself so their frontline ends up one tile away from you after moving (they aren't necessarily so dumb as to do that though). Attack their frontline with your frontline at the start of the turn (three guys on one target if necessary, you want to tear holes in the line). Then move your entire force back one tile so that there are two tiles between you and them, that way as mentioned above, their polearms can't attack you next turn. Gives you two turns of working on their frontline. Not advised against the better armored honor guard maybe.

You can also give your backline throwing axes, but they suck without the right perks imo. If you can spare a perk point on your ranged dudes (I never could), maybe you can go the throwing spec route in addition the bow or crossbow. But well, even with the targeting perk backlines can be hard to hit.

Other than that, high melee skill and just mow down their frontline...

Armor 210 minimum head and body imo for legionaries. Better more. These dudes aren't necessarily worth fighting anyway unless you're strong enough. Their weapons have low durability and can very much break in battle and leave you without weapon if you use them (happened to me with their spears using spearwall due to so many hits). The pikes and such sell for a decent amount, but so does other loot. Their armor costs too much fatigue for what little it does. Wish there were restored versions, or that blacksmiths or smth. could restore them for you.

Last edited:

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
Oh yeah, you could give your frontline throwing axes as well and throwing perk, and forego both melee and ranged defense entirely to spec melee and ranged attack both like a billman/crossbowman hybrid haha. Maybe a bit dodgy against other foes though.

Arulan

Cipher
I reluctantly accepted a contract to go after some thieves. My men's equipment was in poor shape, but I needed the money.

They're well-armed, and in an advantageous position. I decide to fall back toward the tree line.

They follow me in, but my plan almost comes undone. The enemies closest to mine aren't holding spears, but pikes. A mistake that almost leads to the death of Hans.

The battle was costly. I expected Sigurd to die, but Hans and Ulfert will take a few days to recover.

At last my reward.

Arulan

Cipher
Pretty smart to use the trees to funnel them into the spaces in between. How did you deal with the pikemen? Back up one and force them to advance?

That may have been the smarter play, but no.

The turn following that one, the sword-wielding thief to the south advanced just below the southern tree, where I engaged him with elevation advantage. My ranged units I believe killed or severely injured the thief without a helm, and thus allowed me to push forward and surround the pikemen. Hans (northern unit with the nasal helm) advanced right between the trees. When the sword and shield thief advanced and swapped places with one of the pikemen, it put Hans in attack range of all three of them. He's my best man, but it could've been a very costly mistake.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
i hide my dudes in brushes

brigand marksmen are still able to shoot them

am i missing something here
Were they shooting someone next to the bush and missed, hitting your hidden guys? Or was there a melee enemy standing next to the hidden guy?

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member

Were they shooting someone next to the bush and missed, hitting your hidden guys? Or was there a melee enemy standing next to the hidden guy?

Nope, the two duders were in very secluded places, far away from any non-hidden folks, and also away from any melees. At first I thought maybe it was cuz the brigands were on an elevation that could perhaps override bush invisibility, but otoh that has never worked for me, so I doubt that's the case.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist

Nope, the two duders were in very secluded places, far away from any non-hidden folks, and also away from any melees. At first I thought maybe it was cuz the brigands were on an elevation that could perhaps override bush invisibility, but otoh that has never worked for me, so I doubt that's the case.

Weird. Never happened to me before, but I usually don't take advantage of the bushes. Just heckle the devs about it. Tell 'em you're an arab jew from Poland, they won't be able to refuse you then!

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
I think if you shot first, you actually expose yourself.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom