Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Battle Brothers + Beasts & Exploration, Warriors of the North and Blazing Deserts DLC Thread

Parabalus

Arcane
Hmm well, how long will it take them to introduce some "magic" or unnatural things to the brothers themselves as well. It should already be the case if you can craft magical items with the new crafting system, or at least items that would somehow increase the stats of your mercs?

Would you be against it?

The fact that you really, really want a 7 hex fireball, but don't have it, makes the game much better.

Barbarian

Arcane
Have they said anything officially about new tilesets/props? I keep seeing these boring woods and remember how the game could benefit from abandoned cities, ancient ruins, dungeons, graveyards, caves...

Teut Busnet

Cipher
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Have they said anything officially about new tilesets/props? I keep seeing these boring woods and remember how the game could benefit from abandoned cities, ancient ruins, dungeons, graveyards, caves...
Yes, just 3-4 additional locations would get me much more excited than another handful of new creatures and weapons. Hopefully we'll get both though.

(And I'll get the DLC anyway...)

Barbarian

Arcane
They are doing everything right: more enemy variety, a bigger map, more events, crafting... I think the only two remaining sore thumbs they haven't adressed are tilesets and late game objectives.

Don't get me wrong, I'm already overjoyed with what we are getting. But nothing wrong with wanting even more and better stuff right?

What about mounted combat?

Only if it is for enemies(i.e: great house knights). I don't see it being a good or worthwhile mechanic to add for the player. It is already in the game for the goblin wolfriders. I can see it being super overpowered in the hands of the player

Barbarian

Arcane
On late game and crises:

Just improving the faction mechanics and making the map more reactive would probably make the late game breathe. Settlements growing/prospering/developing in peace for instance, instead of just being destroyed in war. Maybe an area of the map ruled by goblins/orcs with their own cities and stuff to destroy/conquer. Basically your average sandbox faction/map mechanics.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Orkz and gobboz are forces of nature, like hurricane. Hurricanes don't need cities.

Wizfall

Cipher
Really looks awesome.
I concur with the vast majority here, no magic for the Bro (and no horse too by the way), the low magic setting is just great.
Other than a kind of map/settlement evolution mechanics (more "interactive" map) and minor twinklings in the endgame the game could not be better IMO.

*-*/\--/\~

Cipher
I think a worthwhile experiment might be setting the starting health closer to the 100-ish range like initiative or fatigue instead of the current 50-ish. Would make the game slightly less armour centric and help light armour builds too.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Really looks awesome.
I concur with the vast majority here, no magic for the Bro (and no horse too by the way), the low magic setting is just great.
Other than a kind of map/settlement evolution mechanics (more "interactive" map) and minor twinklings in the endgame the game could not be better IMO.
Why no horses? Human enemies could use some mounted troops, it would be great. For the Brothers it might be too big of a change, you'd need whole new builds, major rebalancing, etc... for horsemen brothers to make it interesting and worthwhile. And that is not going to happen.

Tovias

Learned
Rather than magic, I think we should get stuff like alchemy, explosives, gases, traps, etc.
Gotta play it smart against the monsters so giving us more tools is a good replacement for magic.

Sarissofoi

Arbiter
Dev Blog #105: Additions & Changes
The update accompanying the upcoming ‘Beasts & Exploration’ DLC will bring with it a host of minor additions and improvements. Each of these may not be big enough to warrant a blog post of its own, but together they make for a nice bouquet of things to look at. Let’s do so this week!

New Settlement Situations
We’re adding a total of 23 new settlement situations. Some of them will be linked to new contracts and new beasts terrorizing villages, but most of the new situations occur randomly for specific types of settlements and make for a more dynamic economy. Cities can have big fairs now, mining towns can suffer cave-ins or discover particularly rich veins, fishing towns can lose boats at sea or have their fishers return with full nets, public executions and local holidays provide entertainment for the masses, and refugees during a late game crisis put a strain on local economies. Settlements now rebuild their burned-down attached locations, such as outlying farms, by first gathering building materials, and are willing to pay good coin for it. All of this means that opportunities to buy, sell and hire may change over the course of a campaign.

Hiring Changes
When looking at the list of potential recruits, you now have the option to give each individual a tryout, meaning a proper inspection to reveal all of their character traits. The cost of giving a tryout scales with the hiring fee of the recruit, but it’s probably a good idea to conduct a tryout for your more expensive hires.

Being able to see a potential recruit’s character traits will come in even more handy because we’ve also added 13 new character traits to the game.

New Retreat Mechanics
There’s a couple of things less than ideal with the current retreat mechanics. In order to safely retreat, you have to manually move your men to the edges of the map, but doing so, especially if the enemy is unable to catch you, can be quite tedious. On the other hand, you’re able to instantly teleport all your men to safety at the cost of only one temporary injury. That’s going to change.

The new mechanics work like this: If your men are already on the edges of the map, you’ll safely retreat as before. If they aren’t, they’ll now attempt to speedily move to the edges of the map automatically and by themselves until either they succeed or die. While this is going on, they’ll get a defense bonus for moving through zones of control, the amount of which scales with the chosen difficulty level. They can still fail at getting away, get shot in the process and whatnot, but there’s a reasonable chance that they succeed, so that retreating always remains an option. Once they reach the edge of the map, they’ll instantly retreat to safety and don’t stick around to wait for the others, so things are also less congested than before.

The new mechanics speed up the process of safely retreating quite a bit if the enemy isn’t able to close the distance anyway, but it also means that you can’t just teleport everyone to safety anymore if you’re already engaged. The skill and equipment of your men, your positioning, and who you’re fighting against now all have an impact on your chances to retreat unscathed, and it’s no longer just random injuries for everyone.

End Round Button
See that button below? Clicking it (or using the hotkey) and confirming your choice in the following dialog will have all your men skip their turns for the current round. If you’re just waiting for the next round, this can help speed things along.

Improvements to AI
Adding new types of enemies with their own AI is a great reason to also revisit the AI of existing enemies. With the coming update, all enemies will benefit from better positioning and better coordination amongst their ranks. They’ll be better at protecting their vulnerable units, changing between offensive and defensive strategies, and identifying bait from the player. Good thing you’re getting those new weapons, then!

Edija

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Some welcome changes there. Especially the tryout feature is neat. Also permanent destruction might be viable now if you can rebuild stuff.

Sarissofoi

Arbiter
Some welcome changes there. Especially the tryout feature is neat. Also permanent destruction might be viable now if you can rebuild stuff.
Wonder how much info you get from Try out.
Traits? Talents? Attributes? Anything sort of full info would be not that great(still useful for legitimate Ironman but still below ALT+F4).
Also you mistaking new settlement status from rebuilding lost one. They talk only about how rebuilding attachments(like farming/hunting/crafting ones) affect goods prices and they they need trade goods to actually rebuild one. Nice but not imply rebuild lost settlements in any way.

New retreat mechanic is nice but hope it can be used also per soldiers basis not only for whole team.
End button is nice also but mass wait would be also useful.

Sadly zero mention about personal soldier inventory improvements , some improvements to company item management. And nothing about contracts.

Edija

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Wonder how much info you get from Try out.
Traits? Talents? Attributes? Anything sort of full info would be not that great(still useful for legitimate Ironman but still below ALT+F4).
Also you mistaking new settlement status from rebuilding lost one. They talk only about how rebuilding attachments(like farming/hunting/crafting ones) affect goods prices and they they need trade goods to actually rebuild one. Nice but not imply rebuild lost settlements in any way.

New retreat mechanic is nice but hope it can be used also per soldiers basis not only for whole team.
End button is nice also but mass wait would be also useful.

Sadly zero mention about personal soldier inventory improvements , some improvements to company item management. And nothing about contracts.

Yep, seems I misunderstood that about rebuilding. When it comes to the tryout feature I'm okay with it if it costs enough. You should have a consequence for trying out brothers, otherwise it would never make sense to just outright hire them. I think its mostly intended for brothers that cost a few thousand gold pieces to hire anyway.

Barbarian

Arcane
Really good features, increasingly looking forward to the release(but hope they take their time and keep adding awesome stuff :D)

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Grammar police. 'Tryout' is a noun and 'try out' is a verb phrase. The button shouldn't say "tryout recruit" but "try out recruit".

Tryouts look like a very nice addition to the game, which of course is the important part.

Sarissofoi

Arbiter
And nothing about contracts.

"Some of them will be linked to new contracts and new beasts terrorizing villages".

Let me precise. About improved contract mechanic.
Like allowing you check what the offered contract are even if you have one, taking more than one, or letting you cash out in any faction settlement(if it makes sense) so there is no need to walk back a lot.
Some new contracts that obviously come with new monsters don't matter that much.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom