Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Battle Brothers Pre-Release Thread

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I would imagine they're piercing an 1/8th inch thick piece of balsa wood and continuing 8 inches past it.

Wolfenswan

Novice
Could the allied caravan AI (and possibly peasants too, if you're helping them in a fight) be put under your command, similar to the Militia when defending a town?

Having a bunch of hoodlums armed with knifes and pitchforks run right past your line into a group of orc warriors (to get slaughtered and raise the orcs' moral) is a bit... odd.

Oh and there's this:
vVjIlBR.jpg

leading to this:
osQnFcr.jpg

Hilariously, they start in the same battle line but attack each other.

Last edited:

Yoshiyyahu

Arcane
Patron
Can't seem to load this on Steam. The 'preparing to play' window pops up, closes and then re-appears over and over. I tried the regular and the beta versions but no luck.

rapsdjff

Overhype Studios
Developer
enemy_factions_header.jpg

Dev Blog #83: Enemy Factions
With work on the last big update now on the way, let’s take a look at what we’re going to do with enemy factions on the worldmap in order to make the world more interesting and dynamic, and how it’ll affect you as the player.

Enemy Factions
Enhancing the presence of factions for a more dynamic world is one of the goals of the upcoming update, and this includes enemy factions. Previously, enemy locations, like bandit camps, just got different banners assigned randomly, which then were also used by any parties created by that location, and that was it. Now, we’re going to introduce actual independent sub-factions, like orc clans and goblin states, which occupy territories on the worldmap and seek to expand them.

Orcs, goblins, bandits and undead each received half a dozen or more new banners on par in quality with the new mercenary banners introduced not long ago. You’ll be able to see by those banners on the worldmap where a faction holds power much like you currently do with noble houses. Take a look below to see a very strong orc faction fond of grates in the southern part, smaller goblin and orc factions bordering them, and a strong goblin faction to the north.

Factions are most active near their territory – sending out patrols, hunting or raiding parties, and actively defending their territory against intruders. While this was somewhat the case before already, it now also applies to contracts. In previous versions we often had to spawn locations and enemies all around the world artificially as part of contracts, just to give you enough to do. With a steadily increasing number of different contracts, however, we can now go back to having contracts appear when there is actually a specific threat in the vicinity, safe in the knowledge that there’ll always be some kind of work to be found.

For example, settlements bordering orc territory are now much more likely to require your help in fighting off orcs, and conversely, destroying that single orc camp near a town will erase that threat, and thereby the need for contracts against orcs, for good. Or at least until other orcs make their way into this part of the world. If you prefer to stay clear of orcs for now, you’re advised to just travel to a different part of the land where orcs have less of a foothold. Of course, those orcs may then expand their territory and grow stronger while you’re not there to keep them in check.

To underline further that you’ll be fighting not just randomly spawned parties, but parties actually belonging to factions and doing their part in helping theirs to expand, the combat engage screen now shows banners of all enemy factions involved in a battle in full detail on the right, and your own banner, as well as the banners of all allies taking part in the battle, to the left.

Got bored and left

How much - if any - of a possibility is there for enemy factions to take over or outright destroy human settlements?

SmartCheetah

Arcane
How much - if any - of a possibility is there for enemy factions to take over or outright destroy human settlements?

And vice versa? Lets say that we helped some territory a lot. Can they actually start eredicating the foe themselves, eventually leading to utter destruction of a monster faction?

Modron

Arcane

And vice versa? Lets say that we helped some territory a lot. Can they actually start eredicating the foe themselves, eventually leading to utter destruction of a monster faction?

I suppose whether or not wiping out a faction is of actual benefit to your Band o' Bros would depend on whether or not independent lairs still spawn because if they didn't such actions would lead your band to obsolescence. Less lairs to raid > less money after all > running around looking for contracts to meet your daily wages.

seems a bit weird to have bandits fighting under one banner.

Orcs, goblins, bandits and undead each received half a dozen or more new banners on par in quality with the new mercenary banners introduced not long ago. You’ll be able to see by those banners on the worldmap where a faction holds power much like you currently do with noble houses. Take a look below to see a very strong orc faction fond of grates in the southern part, smaller goblin and orc factions bordering them, and a strong goblin faction to the north.

Multiple factions for each already indicated. Wonder if there will be conflict between them.

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron

There are multiple instances of peasant&bandit uprisings in history. The famous peasant wars on the territory of the Holy Roman Empire. *Colour* Turban revolts in China. And many, many more including those history has forgotten.

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck

There are multiple instances of peasant&bandit uprisings in history. The famous peasant wars on the territory of the Holy Roman Empire. *Colour* Turban revolts in China. And many, many more including those history has forgotten.

peasants =/= bandits

it was just a small nitpick though, in general I approve of factions

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron

peasants =/= bandits

it was just a small nitpick though, in general I approve of factions

The basic bandit was often recruited of destitute peasants. But I get your point, usually bandits prefered small groups, because they earned a larger share of the loot. I am quite convinced there are some examples of several smaller bandit groups joining forces for awhile in human history, though.

agris

Arcane
Patron
I suppose whether or not wiping out a faction is of actual benefit to your Band o' Bros would depend on whether or not independent lairs still spawn because if they didn't such actions would lead your band to obsolescence. Less lairs to raid > less money after all > running around looking for contracts to meet your daily wages.
I believe rapsdjff has stated that their goal is to provide more of a narrative / story arc to follow, if you're interested. That means you could be fighting for more than just wages to keep a crew going in perpetuity.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Peasant rebellions also had a tendency to devolve into banditry.

Besides for mercenaries they could all be called bandits, rebels or kittens named Purr-purr as long as gold is coming to their purse.

rapsdjff

Overhype Studios
Developer
It's very much a possibility as part of one of the greater evil endgame crises.

They're not fighting under one banner; the fact that there are now multiple sub-factions with banners of their own is the very point of the dev blog.

Peasant rebellions also had a tendency to devolve into banditry.
Indeed. Some of the new bandit banners also imply that people hoisting them are, or were at some point, in fact a faction rebelling against a specific noble house.

bandits_04.jpg

Jrpgfan

Erudite
Your game is gonna make my girlfriend leave me when it's released, and you won't give a fuck about it because you don't care about my feelings, all you want is my money. You monster!

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom