Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Battle Brothers Pre-Release Thread

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
And rat catchers comes with a bonus!

7867C91ACF0892D1E76B5C840FE745EADD5C88B4

Dr Skeleton

Arcane
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I see. I'm really interested in this because the idea of a playthrough where I only ever recruit the most humble candidates (beggars, fishermen etc.) seems really attractive to me. Even moreso if there is a potential upside, in this case maybe having to pay considerably lower wages to the company at higher levels to compensate the downside of having generally worse Brothers.
I use almost exclusively cheap backgrounds (farmhands, brawlers, vagabonds, daytalers, maybe a few mid-tiers like militia, hunters or retired soldiers mixed in) and while their pay increases with each level it's not by a lot, even on higher levels they still get paid much less than what level ~3 sellswords or hedgeknights want from the start.

Zdzisiu

Arcane
I see. I'm really interested in this because the idea of a playthrough where I only ever recruit the most humble candidates (beggars, fishermen etc.) seems really attractive to me. Even moreso if there is a potential upside, in this case maybe having to pay considerably lower wages to the company at higher levels to compensate the downside of having generally worse Brothers.
I use almost exclusively cheap backgrounds (farmhands, brawlers, vagabonds, daytalers, maybe a few mid-tiers like militia, hunters or retired soldiers mixed in) and while their pay increases with each level it's not by a lot, even on higher levels they still get paid much less than what level ~3 sellswords or hedgeknights want from the start.
But on the other hand, those sellswords, hedge knights and nobles do come with higher stats and can easily surpass a cheaper background merc of the same level. But I admit, those bastards ask for a lot of cash.

jungl

Augur
stats are pointless in this RNG of a game. Someone with 110 hp has the same survivability as someone with 50. Only real progression is through gear and numbers.

Zdzisiu

Arcane
get hit by a great sword with armor u take two or 3 hits max if u lucky.
The thing is, not to get hit. Do not try to one-on-one raiders with greatswords. Gang up on people and beat them like a bunch of crazy hobos.

Also, use shields and shield wall.

Yes, I know what you are talking about. At the beginning, when you only have some shitty 50-70 armor and low-level dudes, you will get 2-3 hits and you gonna die. It's rather difficult even on the second difficulty settings. But when you get some level ups, 100+ armor, more than 6 dudes, you will notice a certain decrease in casualties on your side.

My "problem" right now is whether or not, the contract difficulty shown as skulls depends on your bunch of battle brothers, their level and gear or is it always the same. What I mean is, if the contract is 3 skulls now, will it be 3 skulls when I have full outfit of experienced dudes? I ask, because I noticed that after getting a pretty decent band, even the 1 skull contracts started to become more difficult. Maybe its different for contracts from noble houses and random villages because my last noble contract was a one skull bandit hideout and I met 9 raiders and 3 archers there.

Dr Skeleton

Arcane
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
This is really a question for the devs but I think that overall contract difficulty increases with your reputation (or possibly with time?), not with your band level/size and skulls just reflect relative difficulty within whatever enemy spawn range the game assigns to you at that point. So 1-skull contract on day 50 after a fight with casualties and injuries might be a lot harder than 2 skulls when you were at full strength just a day ago.

jungl

Augur
thing is the game follows too much of a meta in regards to how op shields and polearms are to the point every encounter and character build starts too feels way too repetitive and the same.

Lhynn

Arcane
I agree, daggers and kitchen knives should be just as good as spears, otherwise its a nobrainer to use spears when you have to pick between the two. Balance it.

jungl

Augur
All you got do is chain block followed by rising dragon fang dagger technique then air combo him for good measure.

I have always felt like if I had not much training and had to fight with a melee weapon (especially against creatures like a bear or monsters or something), that I would want to use a spear. I feel like I could use it better as an inexperienced person as well as I like the distance it allows you to stand off from the opponent-- which would be especially desired if fighting some large powerful creature (like a bear).

anus_pounder

Arcane

I have always felt like if I had not much training and had to fight with a melee weapon (especially against creatures like a bear or monsters or something), that I would want to use a spear. I feel like I could use it better as an inexperienced person as well as I like the distance it allows you to stand off from the opponent-- which would be especially desired if fighting some large powerful creature (like a bear).

Isn't this partly a reason why masses of relatively untrained spear infantry were so widespread in warfare?

Any military historians here on the 'dex willing to correct/elaborate?

Got bored and left

Isn't this partly a reason why masses of relatively untrained spear infantry were so widespread in warfare?

That and the reach of your weapon being pretty damn important in any kind of fight. And so, with some notable exceptions, polearms of various kinds were pretty dominant on battlefields and the primary weapon of infantry before firearms saw widespread use (and for some of that time, too, hence pike and shot), with swords being typically a sidearm.

sser

Arcane
Developer
That is an amazing painting.

I think spears mostly gained virtually unanimous, world-wide popularity because it was the easiest weapon to concentrate into an extremely effective formation at the lowest costs possible both in terms of equipment and training. Just pick up any decently long stick and hold it out. Congratulations, you now know how to utilize a spear at its most basic level. Now pick up something like a heavy hatchet and twirl that sucker around and suddenly you realize you could fuck yourself up if you're not careful -- and you haven't even gotten into the "how do I use this against an opponent trying to kill me" part of training yet. Even modern combat footage reveals the inadequacies of most infantry, which is that they are poorly trained and human and thus not wanting to be in such a horribly chaotic situation anyway. Just replace the mindless AK-47 spray-and-pray with holding a spear up alongside twenty other dudes and hoping that's all you have to do.

Luka-boy

Arcane
That is an amazing painting.
It's a painting of the battle of Rocroi by Spanish artist Augusto Ferrer-Dalmau. Most of his art is just as great and focused on the Spanish military through history.

Yes. This video is pretty casual, but it's a very simple and to the point (pun intended) explanation.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Update today:

Update 0.7.0.11
September 30 - rapsdjff
%5E277427E3E41A26A5C17D97CBB0E2BB3598960BD66C66B4A2C5%5Epimgpsh_fullsize_distr.jpg

A new contract variant, overhauled Necromancers and Fallen Heroes, balancing changes and bugfixes - all this and more in this week's update!

Please note that this is likely going to be the last update to the game for a while. As explained in last week's roadmap, we'll now start working on the last big update to the game. Because most of the upcoming changes are interconnected, we'll have to do this as one big package to be released when everything is done. Of course, we'll always keep you up-to-date with what we're working on in our dev blog posts right here!

Changelog
  • Added 'Defend Settlement' contract against greenskins.
  • Added overhauled Necromancer with new visuals and additional skill.
  • Added new Fallen Hero Wiedergänger and potential bodyguard for necromancers together with a few new lootable armors and helmets. The classic skeleton variant will eventually be replaced as part of the upcoming undead overhaul, but remains in the game for now.
  • Added hint to injury tooltip reminding the player that injuries will only heal if the company has medicinal supplies on stock.
  • Changed introductory contract to no longer show the 'Hire at least 3 more men' objective once the player has done so but not yet completed the other objectives.
  • Changed introductory contract to have one less opponent in the final battle on lower difficulty levels.
  • Changed bonus effect of 'Spear Mastery' perk to having the 'Spearwall' skill no longer be disabled once an opponent manages to enter the Zone of Control, and continue to work on any further opponents attempting to close in.
  • Changed attribute gain per levelup to be slightly higher for initiative.
  • Changed position of fatigue and morale bars in panel for selected character of tactical UI.
  • Fixed amount of provisions/ammo/medicine not being properly displayed in red when at zero on the worldmap.
  • Fixed raiders stopping their attack on a settlement when the player cancels an ongoing 'Defend Settlement' contract.
  • Fixed issue with 'Defend Settlement' contract getting confused about kidnappings that didn't happen because the player already killed all attackers before they could act.
  • Fixed player being able to fast travel by ship to hostile settlements and get contracts there.
  • Fixed morale flags not getting removed in after-combat-report for suvivors with permanent injuries.
  • Fixed inventory filters resetting on actions such as equipping an item.
  • Fixed 'Bruised Leg' injury not reducing initiative like it should.
  • Fixed 'Footwork' skill being usable when rooted.
  • Fixed various minor issues.

Where you at rapsdjff?

Unwanted

Bésame Mucho

Unwanted
They srsly need to fix this guys face...
It might be a copy from some retarded middle ages monk but it just isnt translating...
rx1maO1.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom