Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Battle Brothers Pre-Release Thread

Dr Skeleton

Arcane
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Some (I think) unintended effects of the latest orc weapons price change:
16l2ef.jpg

oscar

Arcane
Making orcs and goblins drop more trade goods is probably a better solution or simply upping the value of contracts pertaining to them.

LizardWizard

Cipher
Making orcs and goblins drop more trade goods is probably a better solution or simply upping the value of contracts pertaining to them.

A good idea considering the last two deadly world gens I started was absent lumber whatsoever, so no possible way to get the masterwork event.

Mazisky

Magister
Is there a chance, maybe after priority stuff is done, that we'll see some animations on combat? The game looks really nice (really beautiful art) but feels a bit static without animations

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
earthbound for snes, or perhaps dragon quest 4 for nes are good grindy jrpgs that are especially timeless

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Did not found any kennel or dogs in the regular markets in my last game. Not a biggie but I did miss the mutts.

Incidently, after the update BB won't start for me anymore. Instead I get error 51. Everything else from steam runs. Oh well, time for an uninstall and another try when we get the next update. 88 hours of playtime and the game isn't even done. :salute:

I stalk the night
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin 2
I vowed not to touch any more early access filth, but caved in during the weekend and bought this. Needless to say I spent over 12 hours on it and so far it feels like the best thing since sliced bread.

Anyways, I like to use throwing weapons on a few brothers, but changing weapons during battle feels like a bit of an unnecessary chore. Are there any plans to streamline the weapon switching? Would be nice to be able to do it without the extra step of opening the inventory.

Also is there any relation between having increased ranged skill from a background to actually having talent in it? I've been trying to find good ranged characters for my crew, but the best I've found so far, outside the starting ranged brother, is one star. Just wondering if I should just blindly recruit en masse to find one or is it better to try the ones with added ranged skill from their backgrounds.

Dr Skeleton

Arcane
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Also is there any relation between having increased ranged skill from a background to actually having talent in it? I've been trying to find good ranged characters for my crew, but the best I've found so far, outside the starting ranged brother, is one star. Just wondering if I should just blindly recruit en masse to find one or is it better to try the ones with added ranged skill from their backgrounds.
No relation between backgrounds and talents in the current version. If you recruit enough peasants you should find someone with 3 stars eventually, it's a good way to find recruits with potential if you have the money. If anything I'm getting too many people with ranged talent and not enough with melee. I have this guy on my current team.

A8NlWtf.jpg

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
Why is this in the rpg forum instead of the strategy forum? You guys are wicked inconsistent and confused when it comes to genres. You move my blobber game to the jrpg forum but this is here?

roll-a-die

Magister
Alright going to go organized mobs style on this bitch. pitchforks, spears, shields, shields.

It's being slightly effective so far for the first 5 or so battles. I've lost maybe one man, basically right now mixing the pitchforks with javelin throwers on the edges. Mainline members are running with shields and militia spears right now. Gonna upgrade eventually from the pitchforks to pikes probably. I also have my starting crossbowman still.

EDIT: Fighting a Necromancer for the first time. EDIT2: That went good, no deaths someone lost their nose however

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
Why is this in the rpg forum instead of the strategy forum? You guys are wicked inconsistent and confused when it comes to genres. You move my blobber game to the jrpg forum but this is here?

Because there is a significant amount of stats/skills, text and reactivity in this game to be considered a proper cRPG?

roll-a-die

Magister
Note to self: Never split your party. I should know this by now, but my first loss in around 16 battles came from being in a swamp and having to canvas to search for some bastards who were being pesky and staying still for more than 6 turns. one of my pitchforkers got peppered for 4 rounds straight while bogged down in water by 2 crossbowmen.

EDIT: That was fucking miserable, 24 rounds of combat, for a little bit of loot, some supplies, and a god damn dire wolf pelt. Dear god never fighting in a swamp again.

Last edited:

Roqua

Prospernaut

Because there is a significant amount of stats/skills, text and reactivity in this game to be considered a proper cRPG?
Are you trying to articulate a thought that the games listed in the strategy forum do not include games with significant amounts of stats/skills, text, and reactivity?

Does this game even have chargen?

Do I create my own party? What is the max party limit? The same as real rpgs or is a it a strategy game limit?

roll-a-die

Magister

Are you trying to articulate a thought that the games listed in the strategy forum do not include games with significant amounts of stats/skills, text, and reactivity?

Do I create my own party? What is the max party limit? The same as real rpgs or is a it a strategy game limit?
Roqua, I want you to ask yourself something real quick; Just because my thread is merged/moved does that mean I should shit up another thread?

Also as far as why this is an RPG and not a strategy game. As of yet, it focuses more on your character/adventuring parties advancement through the world than with the overall strategy of doing that. It's a blend of strategy and RPG, but I'd say the fact that individual units matter, a lot, and progress with customization. Makes it closer to an RPG than a strategy game.

Your game got moved to JRPG, because it was from Japan, simple as that. And if a mod feels battlebrothers is more of a strategy game they'll move it there.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy

I'm not trying to articulating anything. I'm asserting that this game is not a strategy game. Go play the game and you will see for yourself.

Your game got moved to JRPG, because it was from Japan, simple as that.

And there is a principled reason to separate jRPGs from regular cRPGs that is not merely geographic. jRPGs on average are grinding as hell.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
What are your favourite perk mixes? I really like focusing on adaptability so I generally go Pathfinder + Quick Hands + Many Bags on almost all my men so that my line can quickly change and I can get in as many attacks as possible. Shield + Sword user out of range of the orc warrior? Switch to his pike and get a stab in. Orc warrior moved into my line of archers? Switch to hammer and shield and shieldwall. I think the saving in AP points outweighs the small combat benefits from other perks. Maybe late game that's not the case.

That said the strategy is not as effective as it was before the update as the Bags perk doesn't reduce fatigue for items carried anymore. I'll see how it goes.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
I think it was so good as to be nearly must have. Now Quick Hands + Bags + throwables is a viable choice as others are, which is probably better as it opens up other avenues or styles without knowing you're gimped in comparison.

LizardWizard

Cipher
Quick hand is great early game to survive those alpha strike arrow/bolts but later on I only really take it for ranged/melee/throwing hybrids or someone with shit melee so he can toss nets about and break shields with a long axe. Lategame it's all about 2hers with Indomitable and quickhands will only slow down the killing.

I'm finding Pathfinder to be the best perk in the game and is useful for pretty much any Brother's build though.

roll-a-die

Magister
I'm still way too new and short-sighted to weigh in, but I've been basically focusing on survival for my troops. Thinking about starting a new game too. Spears were fun, but I kinda want to do something a bit less monofocused. I want to experiment with effective weapon mixes and the like. Add in that I accepted a really stupid long patrol mission on my current game and well, it doesn't make me want to go back too it.

EDIT:Also any advice on difficulty, is challenging the way it's meant to be played? Or is normal the sane and logical one? Actually reading over it they've rebranded easy as normal. Damn. Gonna try it on challenging then.
EDIT2: Also so begins the adventures of the Warpigs Diplomacy Corps.

Roqua

Prospernaut

Roqua, I want you to ask yourself something real quick; Just because my thread is merged/moved does that mean I should shit up another thread?

Also as far as why this is an RPG and not a strategy game. As of yet, it focuses more on your character/adventuring parties advancement through the world than with the overall strategy of doing that. It's a blend of strategy and RPG, but I'd say the fact that individual units matter, a lot, and progress with customization. Makes it closer to an RPG than a strategy game.

Your game got moved to JRPG, because it was from Japan, simple as that. And if a mod feels battlebrothers is more of a strategy game they'll move it there.

I don't care about "my" thread. I care about logic, reason, and consistency. Jrpg means more than place of game development. X-com focuses a lot of individual unit advancement and is in strategy. Plenty of western devs make jrpgs. Banner Saga is not a rpg. This game is not an rpg. X-Com is not an rpg. They have rpg elements, but were design purposefully to not be rpgs. They could have been made to be rpgs, but were not on purpose. So, they should purposefully be placed in the strategy game forum where they belong.

I'm not trying to articulating anything. I'm asserting that this game is not a strategy game. Go play the game and you will see for yourself.

Your game got moved to JRPG, because it was from Japan, simple as that.

And there is a principled reason to separate jRPGs from regular cRPGs that is not merely geographic. jRPGs on average are grinding as hell.

Your grasp of definitions and concepts is as solid as your grasp of genre.

Is there chargen? Do I have any more say on who it is I am to roleplay than I do in other riveting top notch rpgs such as Zelda, Metal Gear, Dishonored, Bioshock, and other AAA "rpgs." Even the token rpg-lite games Bioware puts out allows you to change at least the first name and looks, maybe class or something of the character they decide you are to play the role of.

I will check this game out when it is finished and I feel like playing a strategy game. I really liked the strategy game X-Com so may like this. But I mainly play rpgs, which this isn't.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom