Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Battle Brothers Pre-Release Thread

Dr Skeleton

Arcane
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Man, I don't know about these new forests. They're fine as their own new terrain type but they don't really feel like forests anymore. I think the issue with the old version wasn't that it was cluttered and hard to navigate (like it should be) but that you couldn't easily tell which tiles were passable. I know that I was annoyed with them mostly when I hit a wall because there was an impassible log on a tile behind a tree.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Have to admit that more than once I started moving bros. to tactical choke point positions just to discover that it was in fact a dead end not a choke point and all strategic positioning was lost.

1eyedking

Erudite
Who's the game's writer? Something in my gut tells me he's a fellow Codexer -- but I could be wrong.

Is there any way I can contact the guy?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
What, sser is a developer now? Do you want a developer tag or is it just a temporary contractual part-time thing

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Nice job sser , the writing is mature, the style is fitting and contributes a lot to the vibe. Can you indicate a ballpark number of scenarios or contracts you are contributing?

sser

Arcane
Developer
Nice job sser , the writing is mature, the style is fitting and contributes a lot to the vibe. Can you indicate a ballpark number of scenarios or contracts you are contributing?

I'm not sure how many will be in. There are quite a few on the back burner and there's a good chunk of now-unused texts after the world rework. I might try and fit a few of those back in (namely the camel one, as that was one of my favorites).

What, sser is a developer now? Do you want a developer tag or is it just a temporary contractual part-time thing

I shitpost too much to be properly affiliated.

Mazisky

Magister
This game is beautiful. Would be nice if they add some animations to the characters for a better feeling of weapon hits and less static looking tactical part

I really love what they 're doing with the environments, tilesets, those are fine details

rapsdjff

Overhype Studios
Developer
blog_header_ui.jpg

Dev Blog #74: Progress Update – Reworked UI
Here we go again. After being delayed a bit while we waited for some technical issues to be resolved, as well as some of us taking a small vacation to recharge our batteries, we’re now back to working full steam on the UI rework. What does it entail? Let’s find out!

What are we doing?
Several things.

First, we’re replacing the third-party UI library we used for Battle Brothers until now. There are a couple of issues we want to solve; there’s a tendency for mouse clicks to be lost, and the UI can feel very sluggish at times. Because this library ceased to be developed and we’re now stuck with all these problems, we can either ignore them or replace the library altogether. We’ve opted to go with the second option, and the result should be a much more responsive UI experience overall, as well as increased performance of the game.

Second, we’re taking the opportunity to make some usability improvements to the UI. We’ll be resizing some dialogs to have you scroll less, and we’ll be adding additional UI functionality.

Third, we’re skinning the UI. The current look, grey and orange, was always intended as a placeholder and not something for the finished game. We’re switching it out for lots of wood and metal in order to have the UI contribute to the game’s atmosphere rather than detract from it, and to give Battle Brothers a more professional look as it nears completion. See below for an idea of how the new UI will look, but keep in mind that we’re still working on it and will be adjusting colors and adding details.

Why do it now?
There’s two gameplay features yet to be added that require quite a bit of UI work: extended roster management and customizable formations. While we’re itching to get these into the game as soon as possible, doing these before the UI rework would potentially mean having to redo their UI again later, thereby wasting development time. We’re doing the UI rework now so that we can then move on to implement both of these features next.

When will it be done?
We’re progressing at a good pace and should have a new build with an updated UI available within the next couple of weeks. The idea is to make it available first as an optional branch of the game – this way we won’t break anything for you and can iron out any potential issues based on your feedback. Once we’re sure that everything works fine, we’ll merge the branches.

Nordic Game 2016
On the 19th of May we’ll head out to Malmö, Sweden, to attend the Nordic Game Conference held there from the 18th to the 20th. The last day of the conference will focus on indie games, making it the perfect place to get in touch with fellow developers, enthusiasts and all sorts of business contacts.

If you want to know more about the event you can get all the details here: http://conf.nordicgame.com/. If some of you should be there as well feel free to drop us a mail so we can meet up and have a quick Chat!

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
Regarding the inventory, the player should be able to use “shift” to select more than one item at the same time. It will be easier to sell items.

rapsdjff

Overhype Studios
Developer
Which library, if I may ask? You used Awesomium before, iirc.
We've decided to go with Coherent GT as it's based on the same principle of using Chrome to run HTML/JavaScript. This way we can keep most of our existing UI with relatively few changes required. Redoing the UI from scratch wouldn't have been feasible for us.

Also, will we be able to tweak the map size on campaign start?
Don't know yet. It's been requested a lot, though, together with other map options, so definitely on our radar.

Regarding the inventory, the player should be able to use “shift” to select more than one item at the same time. It will be easier to sell items.
Why not just right-click to buy or sell?

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
haha, you all make it sound like Malmö is Mogadishu or something.

This is the area they will be moving around in:
14774492558_dd375dc56d_b.jpg
Malmö_C,_centralplan.jpg
Stortorget_in_Malmö,_Sweden.jpg
Malmö_Central_Station_underground.JPG

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Just so you guys are aware, the release date for the next major update needs to be around June 7th. I have a nice period of time between the 7th and the 13th where l can play without too many distractions. If your timing is off, I might be productive during those days.

Okay good chat, get back to work.

Edit: Please

Last edited:

oscar

Arcane
Over 200 hours and my first fight ever against a goblin shaman, interesting.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I picked this up full-price, since I can't ever pass up a good squad-level tactical game, and the Codex hexmind consensus seems to be that Battle Brothers is pretty good.

The game could perhaps do with an official wiki of some kind. Right now, there's a fan Wikia, Steam guides, and good, old-fashioned figuring things out for yourself, which I do like.

I've only played a few scenarios and a couple of battles so far, on Challenging. The classic moving close enough to the enemy so that they'll close distance themselves, but not actually have enough AP left over to attack, seems relatively effective, although the AI seems to know enough to hold back a hex or two in many cases so as to close distance but not have to take two attacks from brothers in the front.

I'm not yet sure how to use archers effectively. They frequently miss and act as delicious meat pies for any enemies who flank or break through. From some cursory Googling, randomly-occurring terrain advantages can help them a lot, and they're good from late early game through mid-game until the enemy starts constantly sporting beefy armor.

Seems p. gud so far.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom