Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Battle Brothers Pre-Release Thread

Reinhardt

Arcane
Second city lost, but this time i don't care. I mean -

v4tp5g.jpg

:happytrollboy:

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
I had best party going since the final update beta...

(I always play on Veteran Ironman)

Full company ambition completed, banner ambition completed, sergeant ambition in progress
3k gold

TWO! three star melee guys, and one of those also had 3 star melee defense.

Two bros in the obituary after 30+ missions

One named artifact (a kite shield).

Killed a named brigand leader - got renown for that.

Routinely doing 3 skull missions.

Then it all went to pot...

It started with a measly 2 skull mission to destroy a raider camp. No problem.

Oh... it's deep in a forest... ok, I can handle that.

Wow, they have 4 archers and they started on a hill... they immediately pin cushion on of my archers and my banner bro.
I move up with shield walls to engage. Getting hurt, but tearing them down. This map is total crap show.

wait, who is this named raider? Sweet I'll kill him too, maybe get an artifact or more renown!

Sweet Mother of God, he decapitates 3 bros and kills another 3 - easily btw, before retreating (for some reason).

The mission is a success, get another 1k gold... but all I have left is 4 battle brothers that are maimed and riddled with permanent injuries (Does 9 lives protect you from permanent injuries on the blow that would down or kill you?).

Despite having almost 4k gold, I have no chance of rebuilding, so I retire... and am apparently a beggar vagrant now.

I've lost many battles and many bros in this game, but that was the one time that I've actually finished a battle and was angry about it.

Forest maps are worse than swamps - that and the fact that the raiders had 4 or 5 poachers which started on the only hill on the map... all of that was doable till Barnabas the named badass raider showed his face. I can't believe how easily he went through all of my top tier bros...

Sigh.

Time to start another company.

Last edited:

Wolfenswan

Novice
DR SKELETON said:
Maybe some of them [Nachzehrers] should start already buffed to the higher level, as they are they provide zero challenge outside of super early game.

They do. I once attacked a single nachzehrer with a starting party who turned out to be fully feasted. He swallowed my most experienced guy and then the others weren't able to kill him.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
DR SKELETON said:
Maybe some of them [Nachzehrers] should start already buffed to the higher level, as they are they provide zero challenge outside of super early game.

They do. I once attacked a single nachzehrer with a starting party who turned out to be fully feasted. He swallowed my most experienced guy and then the others weren't able to kill him.

They also fully heal whenever they eat a corpse.

jungl

Augur
forest maps mid late game are the hardest thing about this game especially against bandits. They will shield wall play super defensive while marksmen archer on hills slowly whittle your guys to death.

Dr Skeleton

Arcane
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Oh, I know, I've seen that already :negative:
Geists, zombies, necromancers and 4 paths in a forest. If not for spears and swords the geists would've routed and killed everyone.
xfR8ZHj.jpg

This. This is bullshit. Regular ghouls are not dangerous but the big ones are and when you start with 7 (and more grow during the battle) enemies with an unavoidable attack that eats one of your guys and you're limited to 12 in a battle something's wrong. They also have tons of hp, at one point I cut one with a Kopesh, an orc axe and a longaxe for a turn and he it only took like 2/3 of his hp.
JLA26Ys.jpg

I won this fight, but lost 2 men and I really won only because the AI run around a little to much and I scored some lucky hits when it mattered, at one point I was down to 8 or 9 men, one miss might've started a cascade with no return. This needs balancing.
Rm4dXT2.jpg

I get attacked after burning down a camp with 2 bandit leaders. The last stand.
97z7ySc.jpg

As if. Get fucked, bounty hunters. Note Kurt at confident morale in his 60 armor coat impaling enemies on the banner.
ODnhLcV.jpg

I lost most of the company in this battle and decided to retire.
UhYUQlW.jpg

That's Karl Ironjaw. I don't believe he's dead, his stats may be shit but he's had worse.
X7K1bXt.jpg

Another of the survivors, the one standing on the hill in my last battle. Amazing initial stats and good rolls each time.
sep99kw.jpg

The legend has it that Kurt the Believer still roams the land punishing the guilty.

The end game crisis was going to be greenskins I think, I've had an event foreshadowing it around day 70.
I'm going to post some thoughts on the beta tomorrow.

Reinhardt

Arcane
I had my revenge on brigands. Swamp map, all my bros on dry ground, all of the enemies, including 5 marksmen, in swamp. Raiders and leader decided to defend and formed nice square. My 3 archers, including Sniper Doggy, with berserk perks... Feels good, man.:positive:

sser

Arcane
Developer
If I come into a daytime fight and they're all sitting on hills I just straight up leave. Just to give an idea of how insane it is: I'd sooner face a bunch of orcs than a group of ragtag "bandits" armed with bows :lol:
What would be a good "suppression" mechanic though? I was thinking rather instead of overwhelm, you could give the archer a special mechanic that puts the target in a different state that makes movement cost an extra AP or some such. "Pinned" or something like that.
So you can get rid of the RNG arrow-to-the-face but still have an archer offer something valuable, like slowing down a particular target or etc.

Something like that, yeah.

Right now I keep running into this:

VFLQBge.jpg

Forest battle. Crossbowman shooting through trees at max distance. At night. Hits the guy in the head. Next turn, reloads, fires, and hits the guy in the chest. Would have been dead without Nine Lives.

Now when I see "Bandit Marksman" I think "the best fucking sniper that ever lived wearing night vision goggles" because they seem to carry aimbot no matter what conditions are set up.

Unwanted

lili

Unwanted
Ran into a 3500 gulden contract for lulz. All that with a frontline of 150 armor. A bit undergeared. Met 15 legionaries, 3 honor guard and 8 of them with 2 tile range pikes. Ze End.

Overall though the early to midgame got perceivably easier now in beta because of the resolve checks snowballing.

Last edited:

Visperas

Augur
So, how and/or when do you get an ambition goal? I'm in the 27th day with my latest band and I still don't have one. Also, how do you retire a company? I feel like I'm missing something...

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Why doesn't anyone ever surrender in this game?
There are some humanoids that should really surrender in the face of insurmountable odds (surrounded, breaking and wounded)
Instead they either fight to the death or flee - triggering attacks and die.
Captured ones should be able to be sold for bounties or recruited imo.

Tried hit and run strat - basically missile just unload at start of combat and everyone go on withdrawal.
We heavily wounded 2 before retreating.
We re-engaged shortly.
Turns out they're fully healed.
I assume if we killed 1, their stack count would be reduced by 1 upon re-engagement?
I'm a bit disappointed by that because that would meant the AI gets free damage on me while i have to play hard for a kill for that retreat to mean anything.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
Wow, Necromancers are ridiculously overpowered.

They can resurrect at least 3 dead guys a turn (and the old school gold box trick of standing on corpses doesn't work, they just push you off into what is frequently a worse tactical position). They can fight reasonably well and geared decently (tier 3 weapons). They can possess undead to make them fight better - while you have them engaged in melee with your bros.

Frustrating to encounter something like that off of a 2 skull mission (it was 10 armored zombies and a necromancer). Wiped my entire party of 12 bros after 40+ turns.

I don't think they should be able to rez so many a turn, or does that just happen every turn even without the necro? Why can't I spend a turn and lop their heads off once I've downed them?

Regarding the mission, I was told it was defend the town from bandits (a 2 skull mission) and it wasn't bandits, it was a necromancer and his horde of armored zombies... with polearms.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Apparently you were meant to snipe the necro down.
Which is pr. much the only solution in this fight.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom