Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Battle Brothers Pre-Release Thread

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The forgotten bros.

God I hate archers and crossbowmen. I have no idea on how to defend against them. When bandits have more than 2 I always lose half my squad. The back-line gets decimated. The brigands just hang around and wait for me to advance only for their archers to pick my guys apart... and when I finally reach the enemy line I have built up too much fatigue to be able to fight, and probably have a couple of wounds already... and don't get my started on the morale. Bandits with brigands and archers are my worst enemy so far.

I actually think archers are WAY overtuned. Compared to real life, they're insanely accurate. Your average hunter can miss a stationary target (an animal) with a modern compound bow, the idea of dudes reliably making tracking shots on guys who are running around in the heat of battle is pretty silly.

But even by game-terms, they're way too accurate. I attack guys at night, for example, and I still see Marksman literally never fucking missing. They'll be shooting through a goddam forest of trees and men and not missing a single shot. And like you said -- they're doing the most damage. I actually think it's the only weak spot of BB's combat. All the tactical options are thrown aside for what amounts to an RNGfest with no real input. Archers shooting at one another is just a series of mindless dicerolls with super costly punishments when shots actually land. IMO, they should be low-accuracy shots with overwhelm put in to simulate suppression. Every time some guy makes a CS 1.6 aimbot shot through a thicket of dudes to dome my bannerman milling in the backline I get that real skeptical hippo look on my face.

If I come into a daytime fight and they're all sitting on hills I just straight up leave. Just to give an idea of how insane it is: I'd sooner face a bunch of orcs than a group of ragtag "bandits" armed with bows :lol:
Do you know if the enemies have unlimited ammo or do just some of them have lot of it? I tried outlasting bandit marksmen's arrows with some shield guys in formation, but when it's turn 40 and they still shoot arrow or two a round, it started to look like a non-viable tactic.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Oh god, have mercy...

R1ZppdU.jpg

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Kinda funny that the lords hire you to take care of orcs and other creatures, when they easily could purge the whole land from all foul things with their own troops.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Got a contract to protect city from orkz, but every outside building already destroyed, so contract failed within 2-3 seconds.

Unwanted

lili

Unwanted
Either I misunderstood the mechanics or there is a bug with crossbow marksmen.
Ive seen my merc hit in the head for 38 armor damage and taking 51 hp damage on a crossbow hit with intact 110 armor helmet. That should not be possible. HP damage should always be lower than armor damage.

AMG

Arbiter
Crossbow deals max 60 dmg, 65% ignores armor so max hit is 39. Hits to head deal 50% increased damage so that results in 58,5 (dunno if the game rounds up or down). 110-38=72 armor left. 58 - 10% * armor = 58 - 7 = 51
So the game probably rounds down and you got hit for max damage.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Too fantastic. Found out that PoE2 croundfunding ended only today.

Yesterday. Midnight. Well, cup of tea and one caravan guard contract before going to bed. Oh, it's 5:00.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Trading seems profitable once you establish your rep on the small towns.
I was sticking to safer missions and noticed that the wine, salt, crystals and dyes are pulling lots of coins when hauled to bigger cities.
Probably the best way to kit up veterans without risking a battle.

Last edited:

Skittles

He ruins the fun.
Trading seems profitable one you establish your rep on the small towns.
I was sticking to safer missions and noticed that the wine, salt, crystals and dyes are pulling lots of coins when hauled to bigger cities.
Probably the best way to kit up veterans without risking a battle.
Sell price in the big town is rep based, too. If you really want to grind trade, look for a small town with 2+ resources near a city and max rep with both, just running back and forth between contracts.

However, that's lame as hell. The best way to kit up early on is killing raiders.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Just great. My best fighter, in the middle counter-offensive. Stupid newbie. If we lose this war i know who did it.:x
oaccg3.jpg

Latro

Arcane
Either I misunderstood the mechanics or there is a bug with crossbow marksmen.
Ive seen my merc hit in the head for 38 armor damage and taking 51 hp damage on a crossbow hit with intact 110 armor helmet. That should not be possible. HP damage should always be lower than armor damage.
crossbows were BS in real life too man

Andnjord

Arcane
Well, day 77 and the Undead invasion has started. Judging by how hard I seem to struggle versus those motherfucking legionaries (at the moment I seem to be just about managing) I don't think this is gonna end well for the world of Men. And I haven't seen an ancient statue yet!
I think what screwed me was that day 11 arrest attempt against my murderer on the run by the red faction which owned all the southern half of the map, cue said southern half of the map turning hostile and me having to forego the easy bandit thugs contract usually found there thus choking my initial progression. Compare this to my last playthrough from the former beta where by day 75 I had a rape-squad of 4 two hander who had just gotten started chasing orcs warbosses for fun and profit

mixer

Learned
Don't focus too much on non-combat contracts, if you get too high renown with brothers whose combat skills are not developed you will have problems.

AMG

Arbiter
Thats interesting. How do you know that?

Also, stats from ingame

Crossbow
40 - 60 dmg
0 - 30 ignores armor 50%
28 - 42 effective against armor 70%
I read it in some mechanics explanation post, don't remember where but that is how it works or at least used to work, damage to hp is reduced by 10% of armor.
I messed up the crossbow piercing value, maybe the guy who shot you has that perk that gives +20% piercing. Otherwise I don't know how it got up to 51 dmg, if it was a standard crossbow.

Reinhardt

Arcane
My first siege. 2 skull contract for 5k gold. 3 party of greenskins in a row, 20-25 orkz and gobboz each. No warriors, but many berserkers and ambushers. There is one regiment of noble troops to help you, but after second battle what left of it retreated.

raw42d.jpg

Doggy company after the battle.

2zpi348.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom