Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Battle Brothers Pre-Release Thread

Reinhardt

Arcane
I hate forest combat even more now. Bandits don't charge anymore, but build spearwall in chokepoints and protect archers.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Lost half my band because roman skeligntons are immune to spear damage and then got chased down by an orc hunting party. Thought that I was finished but my bros held off and slaughtered the Orc Young without a single casualty.

My "questing" area has been fairly calm so far. A couple of bandits and I spotted 3 dire-wolves. Nothing dangerous like skellies and orcs yet (thank god).

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It's really awesome that there is other mercenary companies running around in the world now. If you hover your mouse over them you even see what city or village hired them. I also just helped another company out in a battle against bandits. They had much better equipment than my guys. Here comes my guys dressed in rags and with farmer equipment as weapons, and they are in full armor chopping down bandits like they are made of butter. I felt a bit inadequate :)

Polanski

Scholar
Being ambushed by 6 raiders with my 8 low-level bros, who have never even killed a single raider. I make my way to the edge of the map to flee, but find my team on high ground. Looking at all the crazy gear the raiders are sporting I decide to take the chance and go for it, knowing that I will certainly lose a couple of brothers or maybe even all, but figuring the gear could be worth more than those fishermen and vagabonds.

After an extended battle with loads of spearwalls and pushing down raiders from the corpses of our friends to maintain that invaluable high ground advantage, we finally emerge victorious. I keep clicking back and forth between the loot screen and my brothers battle stats. 2 dead and 2 permanent injuries, but also weapons worth more than my crew combined. Was it really worth it?

I finally click continue and go to equip my surviving brothers and it is then I realize: I forgot to click that 'Loot all' button, when going back and forth between the screens... FuuufufUUKCCKjdfsjaænjbkk

Jrpgfan

Erudite
blog_header_open_beta.jpg

Final Update released to Beta Branch!
Here we go – the new and final major update is now live on the beta branch of Battle Brothers!

What’s new?
As this is the final major update, our focus was on general polish, balance and quality of life improvements as much as on the remaining major features. Here’s the shortlist.
  • Three different ‘Greater Evil’ late game crises for you to get involved in – a war between noble houses, a greenskin invasion and an undead invasion. Each comes with their own set of contracts, events and changes to the world.
  • The Ancient Dead – an entire faction with new enemies to fight, new lootable weapons and armor, and unique tactics on the battlefield.
  • A new system for mood and desertion – your men will react to how things are progressing, and it’s your job to keep them content.
  • Ambitions – set goals for your company to pursue on their way to become legendary.
  • Obituary – honor the brave men that have fallen under your command.
  • Retirement – retire from your mercenary company when you’re ready to start a new life, and see how the company and its members fare without you.
  • A complete overhaul of Ghouls into the new and more challenging Nachzehrer.
  • New mechanics for morale to make resolve and initiative more important.
  • 11 new contracts.
  • 54 new illustrated events.
  • 2 new music tracks.
  • 70 Steam Achievements.
  • Lots and lots of smaller improvements, changes and additions.
Steam Trading Cards will be unlocked at a later time.

Note that this update is not compatible with older savegames. You will have to start a new campaign!

What’s still to come?
While this beta version is very close to the final release, there’s still things yet to come over the next few weeks.
  • Bugfixes
  • Balancing
  • More events
  • A few legendary items hidden across the world
  • One more music track
Any saves created with the beta version will be compatible with the release version, but some additions or late changes may require a new campaign in order to take effect. If that’s a problem for you, don’t opt into the beta.

Why put this in a beta branch first?
This update makes changes to many of the game’s core mechanics. Extensive changes like these will inevitably upset the game’s balance and introduce new issues. Participating in the beta is optional for everyone that wants to experience the new content now and doesn’t mind a few hiccups – we’re thankful for your feedback and bug reports! Everyone else may want to wait a few weeks until the game is more balanced and any issues that popped up have been ironed out.

Please report any issues you encounter in the forums following the instructions there. Do not leave random complaints as comments to this news post, they’d only get buried and lost.

How do I access the beta branch?
In order to access the beta branch of Battle Brothers you need to do as follows:
  • Go to your Steam library.
  • Right-click on ‘Battle Brothers’ and select ‘Properties’.
  • Go to the tab labeled ‘BETAS’.
  • Select ‘beta’ from the drop down menu.
beta.jpg

Steam should now download the beta branch and once it is finished you can normally run it via your Steam library.

Goodbye life.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Aaaaand...

2i9jz1c.jpg

First turn - 2 brothers dead. Night, my ass...
And things got only worse from here.

Yes, bandits now can and will fight defensively.

Reinhardt

Arcane
I like new nachzehrers. I hope direwolves will get alpha :shittydog: too or something. Someone big and nasty, who can break your formation and lead the pack.

mercyRPG

Cipher
THE _ GREAT _ ARTIFACT _ HUNT:

What I have found so far adventuring or just shopping around: see two pics.
I'm looking for named(*) falchions, *noble swords, *arming swords, *fighting spears (Dragonlance re-naming opportunity!!!), *two-handers, *flails, awesome Orcish *Great War Axes, maybe a *berserker chain.. and *bows, *crossbows, which latter two were never found so far. Couldn't modify Masterwork Bow stats, it has all its values modded/hardcoded in-house probably, so expert modder-brain needed for that.

Hellhound's Fang dagger is my favorite. Always wanted to start a Backstabbing Expert Ninja-Thief.

Its exciting to give artifacts to newbie mercs and watch them miss and graze the hairs of enemies in their shiny super-equipment and their powered weaponry and see them hacked to pieces by higher lever raiders, wolf riders, orcs, hehehe.

Expert ironman is most fun. Modding stats ruins the fun: only initiative, fatique and HP are safe to raise if "felt desperately important" by DemiGod character lovers[Marvel fans], since a mercenary modded this way will only last a little longer, but will be able to wield heavy weaponry. Its merely satisfying curiosity: - What if the party found a cache of a retired famous band? And tried to use them.

Not modding money for a play-thru campaign is essential to watch people leave and fight for survival. Most interesting is how even modded and artifact stuffed parties can be vanquished by higher level enemies and prowling too long in enemy territory: suddenly hordes of enemies gang up on the powered party grinding them down with food and repair items quickly running out, loosing people as my soldiers are picked off by suddenly much more skilled Orc warriors and wolf riders, raiders, etc.. :D
bzuxEOC.jpg

2UlU37X.jpg

Last edited:

hivemind

A necromancer kept an armoured zombie as a meatshield to prevent my rangeds from killing him, nice AI.

Ziggy

Scholar
waiting for undead to walk into spearwall on a swamp map gives the worst dead state flashbacks

Fry

Arcane
Direwolves get so many attacks... :negative:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom