Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Batman: Arkham Knight

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
I love the scale of destruction you can cause in the batmobile. Reminds me of that comedy sketch where Batman is killing mooks left and right but has the mind of a child and thinks they're just sleeping.

The driving is cool but I have no idea what the fuck they were thinking putting in tank battles. It's Mass Effect's mako all over again.

Edit: I do like how we see an explicit nod to
The Killing Joke.

Last edited:

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
I just completed A Matter of Family, the Batgirl DLC. What a disappointment. The trailer makes it out to look like a retelling of the Killing Joke, but with Batgirl as the hero. Instead it's just a straightforward hostage rescue mission with no twists or anything of consequence happening, and can be finished in about 45 minutes.
Of course, there's a scene in Arkham Knight where Batman hallucinates Barbara Gordon getting shot by the Joker, and it's much closer to how it happens in the comic book. But I hadn't yet played that part of the game when I saw the Batgirl DLC trailer.

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

BE THE BATMOBILE

A new racetrack challenge and an unlimited AR combat map for Robin. WOW!

I sure wish I had bought the Season Pass now.

I couldn't even buy it if I wanted to as the game is still unavailable for purchase on Steam. :D

AW8

Arcane

Zp3vDN9.png

GOTY GOTY GOTY 10/10 GOTY GOTY GOTY GOTY 10/10 GOTY 10/10 GOTY GOTY GOTY 10/10 GOTY 10/10 GOTY GOTY GOTY GOTY GOTY 10/10 GOTY

OGGOTYArt_1335222870.jpg

GOAT Batmobile racing simulator! Worst PC release of 2015! Buy the game - NOW!!!

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity

GOAT Batmobile racing simulator! Worst PC release of 2015! Buy the game - NOW!!!

Three questions:

(1) How is 1989 Tankmobile gonna work?
(2) What did they update?
(3) How come 1989 Batman can turn his head?

I still say if they fix everything by August it's really no big deal. Arkham City PC was delayed for 2 months, probably also to fix bugs.

Not to say WB was fucking retarded to release the game now. If they delayed AK PC for 2 months then there would be a lot less complaints. IMO.

And not to say that Arkham Knight sucks because the gameplay encounters suck ass compared to even Origins.

Last edited:

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Three questions:

(1) How is 1989 Tankmobile gonna work?
(2) What did they update?
(3) How come 1989 Batman can turn his head?

I still say if they fix everything by August it's really no big deal. Arkham City PC was delayed for 2 months, probably also to fix bugs.

Not to say WB was fucking retarded to release the game now. If they delayed AK PC for 2 months then there would be a lot less complaints. IMO.

And not to say that Arkham Knight sucks because the gameplay encounters suck ass compared to even Origins.

The 1989 batmobile can't transform into a tank, so it's not usable for tank challenge maps. It's still usable in the open world, you're just stuck in car mode.

AW8

Arcane
But what happens during mandatory story mode tank battles?
You can only use the Burtonmobile after the streets have been cleared of drone tanks I.e. you've pretty much beaten the game. It doesn't have a Battle Mode, so you can't even use it for puzzles.

It's only usable for cruising around and playing the race tracks, making it completely useless. Unless you really like race tracks, the DLC is like a fun little model-swap mod that Rocksteady for some reason charges money for.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
You can only use the Burtonmobile after the streets have been cleared of drone tanks I.e. you've pretty much beaten the game. It doesn't have a Battle Mode, so you can't even use it for puzzles.

It's only usable for cruising around and playing the race tracks, making it completely useless. Unless you really like race tracks, the DLC is like a fun little model-swap mod that Rocksteady for some reason charges money for.
lol... is that what they spent 2 months working on? ffs

Echo Mirage

Arcane
There was a news update a few days ago on steam.

Dear Batman: Arkham Knight PC community,

The teams have been working hard to address the issues with the PC version of the game. We are happy to confirm that we are now putting the first interim patch into testing. If all goes well, we expect to issue the patch in the next few weeks. We’ll be sure to report back in the next two weeks on how the testing is coming along.

Below are some of the major fixes and improvements you can expect in the upcoming patch:

• Reduced frame rate hitches
• Optimized system memory and VRAM usage
• Improved performance on all GPUs (requires the latest drivers)
o Min Spec AMD GPU is once again the Radeon HD 7870 2GB

• More Robust In-Game Settings, including:
o Added the ability to change settings for Max FPS to 30/60/90
o Added toggles for Motion Blur, Chromatic Aberration, and Film Grain
o Added a “High” Texture Resolution value
o Added Texture Filtering option
o Added an Adaptive V-Sync option (NVIDIA only)
o Added VRAM Usage Meter
o Added Mouse Sensitivity Slider & Mouse Smoothing Option

• Fixed low resolution texture bugs
• Fixed hitches when running on mechanical hard drives (HDD)

While our first priority is fixing the issues listed above, the team is continuing to work on the following:

• Skipping the boot up splash screens
• DLC/Season Pass content
• Additional updates such as Photo Mode

We again thank you for your continued patience as we work on these issues. As always, we are continuing to monitor and listen for any additional issues.

- Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment

We are adding PC options everybody! :happytrollboy:

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So for those who have played it, I have a question about a major plot point.

Note that I haven't 100%ed it or even gotten to the end game credits yet, but I did finish the main Scarecrow mission line.

Spoilers follow, pretty major spoilers.
No, really, I would be pissed off if someone had spoiled this for me. Big spoiler, don't read it if you haven't played the game.
OK fine, it's your own fault then.
So there's that scene where Oracle dies.
And then later she's alive! And it's like, yeah, that was all a trick. And I was like errrrrr, did I miss something? Researching around, it looks like there's no explanation for that at all. I guess it was just supposed to be fear toxin making him think he saw that? Really, is that it? That's the only justification? If there's more of an explanation to this, I'd love to hear it, because if it's just "fear gas lol", that's really really disappointing. Thanks in advance for any insight.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
So for those who have played it, I have a question about a major plot point.

Note that I haven't 100%ed it or even gotten to the end game credits yet, but I did finish the main Scarecrow mission line.

Spoilers follow, pretty major spoilers.
No, really, I would be pissed off if someone had spoiled this for me. Big spoiler, don't read it if you haven't played the game.
OK fine, it's your own fault then.
So there's that scene where Oracle dies.
And then later she's alive! And it's like, yeah, that was all a trick. And I was like errrrrr, did I miss something? Researching around, it looks like there's no explanation for that at all. I guess it was just supposed to be fear toxin making him think he saw that? Really, is that it? That's the only justification? If there's more of an explanation to this, I'd love to hear it, because if it's just "fear gas lol", that's really really disappointing. Thanks in advance for any insight.

Yep, it literally is "fear gas lol." Like all the twists in Arkham Knight you can see it coming a mile away.

Batman comes across like a dunce as a result.

Zombra

Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm curious what you guys think of the ending. A lot of people dislike it. Yet I thought it was good. But the funny thing is that they liked the 100% ending, but for me.. I disliked the 100% ending because it spelt "DLC INCOMING + Damon Lindelof lazy 'twist' incoming."
Finished the game tonight.
As for the ending,
the very end struck me as more of a "grand finally" than grand finale. Batman blows his house up to fake a suicide to protect the people who know B.W., OK, that's fine I guess ... so the ending itself was fine.

But the build-up to it was awful. I was colossally disappointed with Batman taking off his mask in the first place. Fucking Scarecrow of all people takes one lousy hostage, hides in a basement, and says take off the mask on my live broadcast or I'll shoot him with my widdle popgun. Throughout the series Batman has saved at least a dozen hostages from run-of-the-mill punks with more firearms experience than Crane (and they also didn't wear huge hoods that ruined their peripheral vision). Why not just knock the fucking gun out of his hand with a batarang? Batman is the dude who never gives in; why this one time does he fold faster than Superman on laundry day? Not only does he not even try, he knows going in that he's not even going to try because the devil on his shoulder is trying to talk him out of being such an idiot. Not only is nothing done to make this a believable decision; nothing is done to make it a dramatic one either. Batman just shluffs in, shrugs his shoulders, and dumps his mask because someone threatened him, I guess for the first time in his life. Seriously, what the fuck?
For whatever it's worth, there is a good deal of talk about the "true ending" only accessible by beating New Game+, so I'm looking forward to that when I replay the game next year or so; but there's no way it's going to make up for the stupidity of the mid game (see my previous post as well as this one).

Zombra

Patron
Sounds like bundle fodder to me.
Well ... don't judge it just on the story, and even if you do, don't just judge it on the bad parts of the story. I paid $40 on the GMG VIP discount and definitely got my money's worth. Tons of solid gameplay here, and although the writing fails overall, there are a few excellent ideas and enough good scenes to be worth watching once.

-----------------

That said, I have a couple more complaints about the story that I want to get off my chest. :cool:

So that part about "fear gas lol":
Last warning, don't spoil the good part of the story just because other parts suck. Only read if you've finished the Scarecrow mission (or don't plan to play the game):
OK, so the whole thing where Oracle is overdosed on fear gas and ends up using her last ounce of strength to shoot herself and escape the scary things? In itself, that's actually a really really good story beat. It makes sense; it dovetails perfectly in with Scarecrow's whole deal. It's a beautifully rendered picture of what fear gas will do to you: ramp up your fears scarier and scarier until you're a danger to yourself and others.

However, when we dial it out later, we find out that it didn't really happen, which could also be fine, except that it was an hallucination Batman had, triggered by that same fear gas.

Everything else we've seen about the gas shows that it makes the subject afraid, sparking whatever hallucinations induce that state, like a nightmare in which you're being chased. But you know what never happens in the "I'm being chased" nightmare? You never get caught, because your subconscious is in the fear or flight state, not the "I got caught" state. Even if your mind takes the dream to a place where you can't possibly run any further, it just ends.

As the fear gets stronger and stronger in Batman's system, it makes no sense for him to hallucinate a loved one dying, because that experience doesn't magnify the fear; it resolves it, which is exactly what the gas shouldn't do.

Does this horrible image produce negative emotions? Sure! Take your pick: self-hatred, anger, sadness, helplessness, etc. But none of this is fear, and Crane's creation isn't Negativity Gas or Sadness Gas, it's Fear Gas. Crane is a twisted genius obsessed with fear, who's spent his entire career learning how to induce fear; he can't order a pizza or tell his minions to pick up the dry cleaning without mentioning fear. (Seriously, listen to his dialogue in the game; it's pitiful.) There's no reason to believe his gas does anything other than what it's supposed to: induce incredible fear and nothing else. Throughout the rest of the game, it works just like it's supposed to. In this one case, it does the opposite. That goes beyond weak writing.

This is doubly bad because, as described above, the situation with Oracle is such a well-written use of the gas. Then we find out it didn't happen, and that what actually happened makes no sense, in a single stroke.
I'm smarter than Batman (same mission):
Last warning, don't spoil the good part of the story just because other parts suck. Only read if you've finished the Scarecrow mission (or don't plan to play the game):
This one just had me shaking my head at Batman's stupidity. Same scene. Oracle is in the bulletproof cage, freaking out on gas with a gun in her hand. She sees Batman and gets scared, and is so far out of her head that she actually fires a few shots at him, not realizing there's bulletproof glass there. Yo Batman, she just gave you the solution to this problem. But does he use it? No. Instead he tries to reason with her and calm her down, which as a scientist he must know is doomed to fail; he saw the dosage, he knows enough about neurochemistry. No, asshole! She's going to stay scared, she's scared of you, and the only immediate threat to her is the bullets in that gun. Think: you've spent your entire career making yourself a big scary TARGET. I don't even need to explain the rest. Yell, hoot and holler, make scary faces, and throw in something like, "You'll never stop me unless you hit my weak spot!" Presto; she empties the gun at you and now the biggest danger is that she might bite her tongue and drown on the blood. Now open the fucking door and save your friend, dolt.
Thank you. I just had to get that out.

Last edited:

AW8

Arcane
A Beta Patch is out on Steam. Opt in to it by going to Batman™: Arkham Knight->Properties->Betas->patch 2 -

There are apparently new graphical options and the patch brings better performance [citation needed]. I'm currently downloading it, it's 626 MB.

EDIT: They removed the Beta Patch and unpatched my game while I was AFK. Oh well, the joy of having automatic updates turned on. I only got to see the new graphics menu, I never tried gameplay.

Last edited:

Zombra

Patron
Incidentally, I played the Harley Quinn "we were contractually obligated to make a" DLC and all I have to say is do not pay a cent for this. The combat animations are fun but really that is it. The whole thing took me about 15 minutes, the writing is competely throwaway, there's a tutorial to teach you how to use explosives to blow up walls and there are literally two walls that you have to get through. I don't know if this is Rocksteady sending a fuck you to their publisher/marketing people or what. I feel sorry for the art guys who did a beautiful job on Harley's equivalent of detective mode. The whole thing is a waste. If you get it for free, go ahead and play it, Arkham combat is still fun.

AW8

Arcane
Incidentally, I played the Harley Quinn "we were contractually obligated to make a" DLC and all I have to say is do not pay a cent for this. The combat animations are fun but really that is it. The whole thing took me about 15 minutes, the writing is competely throwaway, there's a tutorial to teach you how to use explosives to blow up walls and there are literally two walls that you have to get through. I don't know if this is Rocksteady sending a fuck you to their publisher/marketing people or what. I feel sorry for the art guys who did a beautiful job on Harley's equivalent of detective mode. The whole thing is a waste. If you get it for free, go ahead and play it, Arkham combat is still fun.
If this had been Arkham City we would be able to play as Harley on a dozen Challenge Maps, but this is Arkham Knight and you only have her 10-minute campaign to play over and over again until you're thrown into Arkham.

They will probably give her an AR Challenge or two down the line as DLC, which is unbelievably greedy. Meanwhile there are 12 different Batmobile AR Challenges, like I want to play those.

Remove Batmobile remove Batmobile you are worst gameplay element.

pippin

I think one of the complaints issued when the game launched was about the three DLCs available at that time had a duration of 15 minutes each.

Zombra

Patron
Meanwhile there are 12 different Batmobile AR Challenges, like I want to play those.
Remove Batmobile remove Batmobile you are worst gameplay element.
Batmobile had its fun moments but it was definitely overdone. Like, over over over overdone.

However without it I would never have read this excellent quote from Kotaku commenter Mortal Dictata:
Riddler: “Haha Batman I’ll have my revenge by somehow secretly building race tracks beneath Gotham”

Bonus question: who in this thread is angry OCD enough that he 3-starred all the AR challenges anyway despite how annoying they were? :negative:

AW8

Arcane
Batmobile had its fun moments but it was definitely overdone. Like, over over over overdone.

Bonus question: who in this thread is angry OCD enough that he 3-starred all the AR challenges anyway despite how annoying they were? :negative:
Batmobile tank combat with the drone virus upgrade was actually pretty fun, and Batmobile Predator was a fun surprise, but there was indeed too much of it by far. You can barely play 20 minutes without having to race/puzzle/escort/fight in the Batmobile again.
They even wasted resources making challenge maps for the fucking thing instead of Combat/Predator maps.

Regarding the Beta Patch that disappeared as quickly as it appeared, a user on the official forums summed it up hilariously:

aAecxNe.png

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom