Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Batman: Arkham Knight

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

(though I think Spoiler is finally back).
Spoiler returned last year in Batman, and had a supporting role in Batman Eternal. Which is great, because Stephanie Brown is GOTY.

I don't think Cassandra has appeared in the New 52 yet, sadly.

Barbara is best as Oracle, no question about it.

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
http://steamcommunity.com/games/208650/announcements/detail/145588947502686164

Message from Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment
11 July - gary.lake-schaal
We have heard the PC gaming community outcry of disappointment for the initial launch of Batman: Arkham Knight on PC. Again, we would like to apologize to you, the fans, and let you know that we are taking full responsibility for releasing a product that did not meet our quality standards, which is why we suspended sales of the game as soon as we understood the issues. The Batman: Arkham Knight fans are extremely important to us and our highest priority is ensuring PC users get the full, high quality experience of Batman: Arkham Knight they deserve. Rocksteady Studios has created an amazing game with Batman: Arkham Knight and they are now working closely with us and our partners to ensure that we offer the same experience on PC. Once the PC version is fully updated, Rocksteady and all parties will agree that it meets a superior quality bar and we will then make the game available for sale.

Addressing the PC performance issues is still our top priority and at this time, we believe we have identified a number of fixes for the larger issues that were affecting PC players at launch. These fixes are currently being implemented into the game and once we have been able to do some initial testing, we’ll have a better idea on the status of our progress. We’ll provide an update on how things are developing next week.

We can also assure you that because of this latest launch, we are modifying the internal review process for all of our games. For those who are waiting for the updated version of the game on PC, please know that we are working on this every day. For the players who are continuing to play Batman: Arkham Knight on PC, fixes are continually being made to the game as we await the final updated version.

Our continued focus on getting the right PC fixes in place for the main game has had an impact on the development of all DLC content for the PC version of the game. This means that the Batman: Arkham Knight – Batgirl: A Matter of Family DLC will not be available on July 14 for those who are currently playing the PC version of the game. We apologize for the delay and only want to make sure that any content that we offer is up to the standards that PC players expect.

Thanks again for your continued patience, Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment.

Tl;dr: Batgirl DLC delayed on PC.

Which is unsurprising and reasonable. Fix the foundation before you add more stuff to an already crumbling house.

Also, it's somewhat satisfying to see

outcry of disappointment
we would like to apologize
we are taking full responsibility
a product that did not meet our quality standards

when before there were

We are aware that there are performance issues for some users
The Recommended Spec is intended to deliver an experience on par with the current generation of gaming platforms
Expected: 30fps (capped)

Lerk

Learned
The New Game+ design is so retarded, why do I have to beat the game once in order to unlock the hardest difficulty?

New Game+ is just there so your game looks longer than it actually is.
I've personally never really liked it but some people think of it as a feature that every game should have.

Pretty much. Personally I think From Soft's Souls games are the only titles that nail NG+, though I think they're designed from the ground up with it in mind.

I recently had a night of AK on a friend's PS4. Did Rocksteady go the Ubisoft route on the side missions? They seem really...well, tacked on and filler. And the Batmobile feels somewhat unnecessary as well. Gliding is more fun than Grand Theft Gotham.

Getting heartily sick of the Joker too. Seems he has more lines and presence in the hours I played of AK than all the preceding titles combined...

Too early to judge, but first impressions are not amazing to be honest. Then again, I'm of the opinion that AA remains unsurpassed so what do I know...

Heresiarch

Prophet
I just gave up on the game and went watch all major spoilers on Youtube and wikipedia instead.

Astral Rag

Arcane
a product that did not meet our quality standards

If only there was a way to check the quality of a game before release.

The Recommended Spec is intended to deliver an experience on par with the current generation of gaming platforms

OS: Win 7 SP1, Win 8.1 (64-bit Operating System Required)
Processor: Intel Core i7-3770, 3.4 GHz | AMD FX-8350, 4.0 GHz
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 - 3 GB Memory Recommended
DirectX: Version 11
Network: Broadband Internet connection
Hard Drive: 55 GB available space

xbox-one-playstation-mlohw.png

:deadhorse:

Last edited:

Israfael

Arcane

Decided to play further w/o waiting for new patches, The original Doom textures have an edge over this fudge.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Honestly the game is running fine technically if you find the right tweaks. And those tweaks are like two copypasta (besides you yourself turning off light shafts, lens flare, etc.)

Like I said I have 600-series Geforce and I'm getting playable gameplay with the tweaks -> And this is without graphical compromise; in fact the tweaks have increased texture burden with adding Anisotropy to a lot of the TextureGroups).

With a modern card I really assume even smoother gameplay. And again, that has not anything to do with good-looking FPS. Gliding and driving for no specific reason have given my But I have had -zero- technical problems with encounters.

Still, bad news is as I described: Gameplay encounters almost always sucks. Again this is sad because they added pretty good tools to gameplay IMO. But the encounters just make them irrelevant (on Hard mode!) unless you use them just for fun. Getting better ~80% through the storyline but still... Even Origins had much better encounters, especially Boss encounters (ignoring Deadpool).

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
The rather easy tweaks to improve gameplay + textures in Arkham Knight: https://steamcommunity.com/app/208650/discussions/0/523890046870624615/

(Again, it's two copypastas)

He has since added a config tool/program:

x64: https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/kfKLCKRDHH1VmCd1gwqbVAYEJxzMYVSaObhSASoZWcz
VC_redist for it (since it's 2015 RC): https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/H19ORmLiTPawcPLbH6VC1EYXoYurgMhjq2aSFheS8DZ

x86: https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/Eb6AEFMdYcocdhsFO5wb3gfhCMqRLuctJYDoa7njBPs
VC 2015 RC_x86: https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/FvqHVs05qvBt1GeF4unhQjtJ0iubkjbkYvIyglee5Ef

Edit: Don't use the x64 version. It tries to tweak the driver settings for the game, and fails lol. If it made your game not boot, go to your Nvidia control panel, and reset the profile for the game. x86 version still works fine.

Last edited:

Deleted member 7219

What is the point of tweaking a fundamentally broken game and potentially breaking your PC while you are at it? Just wait for the patch.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
What is the point of tweaking a fundamentally broken game and potentially breaking your PC while you are at it? Just wait for the patch.
Because I have a $500 PC built two years ago? Course I have to tweak shit.

...And it's not fundamentally broken? I'm almost done with the game, so why would I wait for a patch?

Potentially breaking your PC
Lol.

I do ask myself this every time I have to reset CMOS though. Or run Combofix. Edit: Or overclock.

Then I realize the only thing that breaks in a PC is a power supply.

Really sad to see "PC master race" think editing a file in Notepad is going to break their computer.

Last edited:

Israfael

Arcane
Honestly the game is running fine technically if you find the right tweaks. And those tweaks are like two copypasta (besides you yourself turning off light shafts, lens flare, etc.)
Listen, i have a previously top GPU, very fast ram (30+ Gb/s), 2500k @ 4.5 ghz, why i need to turn anything off? It runs smoothly at 50+ fps. The problem is this shit and incessant texture popping which can't be fixed in any way. It just annoys a lot, although i kept playing (island gating system is a big meh though).

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Listen, i have a previously top GPU, very fast ram (30+ Gb/s), 2500k @ 4.5 ghz, why i need to turn anything off? It runs smoothly at 50+ fps. The problem is this shit and incessant texture popping which can't be fixed in any way. It just annoys a lot, although i kept playing (island gating system is a big meh though).
Turning off light shafts and lens flare is a separate issue. I do that because those effects are retarded.

The tweaks to the texture streaming don't turn anything off...? They make texture popping happen less.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
GOTY bundle will be $10 in 2016.
The thought of the PC version getting anything titled "Game of the Year" breaks my brain.
Well, Arkham City PC was delayed two months.
It was. And DX11/PhysX is still borked on it IIRC.
Yeah. So I turned off Tessellation and Physx and then played the game.

Still, it wasn't pulled from sale.
If Arkham Knight was delayed 2 months for fixing then the status would probably be the same.

Israfael

Arcane
The tweaks to the texture streaming don't turn anything off...? They make texture popping happen less.
No, they just make textures worse in general, my card has 4 gb of vram, it doesnt need lesser streaming pool or whatever. I tried to increase it to 4096 and it led to extreme lagging

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
No, they just make textures worse in general, my card has 4 gb of vram, it doesnt need lesser streaming pool or whatever. I tried to increase it to 4096 and it led to extreme lagging
Texture pool isn't even the issue.

HysteresisLimit, MinTimeToGuaranteeMinMipCount, MaxTimeToGuaranteeMinMipCount, and UseTextureFileCache are what (most) affect MipMap streaming.

Edit: and LoadMapTimeLimit

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
BTW what you should be asking me is why I'm playing a game that I am disliking the gameplay of. Which no patch is going to fix.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
If Arkham Knight was delayed 2 months for fixing then the status would probably be the same.

If.
Being pulled two months for fixing versus being delayed two months for fixing. Which is better and why? The main difference is that City's issues were under wraps for two months so people could only complain about a delay in launch date. Note also that Steam Refunds didn't exist back then.

Besides.. seriously - Is graphixxx the only issue that you people care about?

What about gameplay? Shitty/non-challenging encounters? Bad enemy placement? Bad enemy choice? Having to use the Batmobile during INDOOR encounters? Too much Battlemobile? Shitty Riddler Batmobile platforming? Complete lack of boss encounters?

Only in the last 10-20% of the game am I finally getting decent-to-somewhat-above-average combat encounters. Yet nowhere close to City or Origins. Yet still no Mr. Hammer.

And note that is combat encounters... predator still is very ehhhhh except for one sequence.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom