Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Batman: Arkham Knight

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
20 FPS for an action game built around timing..... That's an abomination. Playable, but still an abomination.
It's 20fps when you're gliding around outside. Even fighting outside gets almost 30fps since you're not loading a shitload of buildings in view. Inside you're fine.

I think it's a loading issue thing. Moving your camera around outside whether you're rotating in place, or you're moving fast in a car, that's where the low FPS kinda comes in. Once you stop "moving" the FPS actually goes back up, to like 25. So that's the jerky/stuttering thing.

Also note I'm playing on pretty heavy settings, because I can't be assed to play with ugly textures. There's LOD for textures but it seems like there's no LOD for models. And the LOD for textures is weird, it seems like it's just binary (excellent textures closeby, ugly textures where-ever you set the LOD distance). That's the "texture popping" thing I guess.

Actually my big peeve is that you can't turn off tessellation (or just run in DX10 or DX9 because I hate all postprocessing except for AO). Oh and also you can't turn off rain. See, Metro, I am playing on high settings and I'm not even allowed to turn them down.

But yes, I agree 20FPS is not good for actual action.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Besides, has everyone here never played Morrowind?
Yeah... that's a 2002(?) game.
Yeah... and I played it in 2002.

Didn't mean to delete that post, btw, I was gonna post a screenshot and didn't want to triple post.

But here is why I get 20 FPS (though I'm getting 30fps in that screenshot because I'm just standing static):

NUrktub.jpg

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
City looks p. big. Just to justify the stupid car gameplay I guess
Yeah it is. I think they made gilding slower too. The buildings are taller so sometimes you'll have to grapple twice (like Catwoman but not 6 leaps). A few times I swung like Spiderman, that was weird and I dunno how to pull that off.

The forced BATTLE MODE sections especially really suck. However, driving around in the Batmobile is actually fun in an arcadey Need For Speed way lol.

Also it seems like they nerfed Detective Vision.

I really haven't played much tbh. I got fucked over by the "Verify Files" bug, and weather shitting all over my already slow DSL. Then I went out and blacked out last night, woke up in the evening today. So far gameplay seems okay. If people say it sucks I'm gonna assume bad encounter design or something.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
It's too bad there's a lot of content focused on the driving. The 'predator mode' vignettes were the best part of the first two games. Especially in the later stages where most enemies had guns.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Lel people defending games having 20 fps.

20 fps is DOGSHIT.

60 fps or GTFO. If you can't tell the difference and importance of 30 fps to 60 fps, I'm afraid you have brain cancer. or just a IQ of sub 30s.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Finished it.

It's better than AO. Worse than AC and AA.
Graphics are nicer. I turned off the NVIDIA things, installed the game to SSD and kept all other settings on max. FPS never dropped below 50.

Combat and upgrades are how you remember them mostly. Same goes for stealth. (Although it felt like more enemies had guns this time around). The vehicle sections were frequent and retarded. Controls felt floaty when racing and the tank more sections where Batman blues up 20+ vehicles with a 60mm cabin felt as un-batman as it gets.

I was looking forward to a Batman game with no Joker, but Batman hallucinates him every 3 minutes. I think Mark Hamill had more lines in this game than in the ones where he was the main Antagonist.

Story was meh. Anyone who has watched Under the red hood will already have guessed exactly what is going to happen. Although that still doesn't explain how the villain could afford hundreds of tanks. Let alone sneak them into the city undetected

Overall it's 'k of you're desperate for some more Batman. But if you haven't played AA/AC yet, you may as well get one of them on a sale instead

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Eyes can only see 2GB of RAM anyway.

I figured the Batmobile would suck. This usually happens when they try to add some new gameplay element late in a series, especially vehicles. They should have put it in City and then perfected it for Knight if they wanted to give the series a good send off.

Drakron

Arcane
Although that still doesn't explain how the villain could afford hundreds of tanks. Let alone sneak them into the city undetected

The Penguin is a arms smuggler but yes, it dont work as the drone tanks were apparently designed to fight the older Batmobile model and I am not seeing that, the only one I see with the power to pull that off is Lex Luthor they cannot use and they blown their wad with Bane that could do it if they didnt used him already twice and same with Ra's al Ghul in City.

Makes sense Red Hood is the Arkham Knight but at the same time, they fucked it up ... I think despite many flaws Asylum had the better story because it was concise, the rest of the games suffered by shoving too many villeins into the story and they certainly overused the Joker.

Last edited:

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
It's too bad there's a lot of content focused on the driving. The 'predator mode' vignettes were the best part of the first two games. Especially in the later stages where most enemies had guns.
Yeah that's what I heard and so I'm not saying AK is a good game lol. Actually it's not so much the driving than the "Battle Mode" that's annoying. Driving outside of missions, or to missions, is just zooming around GTA style which is interesting.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Lel people defending games having 20 fps.

20 fps is DOGSHIT.

60 fps or GTFO. If you can't tell the difference and importance of 30 fps to 60 fps, I'm afraid you have brain cancer. or just a IQ of sub 30s.
Well duh I can tell the difference, but I wasn't talking about graphics. It's playable, especially since I'm talking about outside whereas the important action is inside buildings*. Unless, again, you're trying to strafe jump in Q3.

Funnily enough there's one setting that'll drive me up and past 30fps but I'm too much of a graphics whore to sacrifice the textures.

*Besides dumb Battle Mode sequences.

Jozoz

Prophet
The Batmobile is just one of those things, where when you hear about you just know it's going to be the weakest part of the game.

I get that they wanted to put it in since it's so iconic to the Batman, but really having it play a part in the story like they did in Asylum (albeit that was really minor) is a way better idea imo.

No one wants to drive around a city when you have a fucking grappling hook!!!

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
It kinda reminds me of that bit in The Force Unleashed where you have to force a Star Destroyer to crash into a planet using the force. And they hype that bit up so much in the pre-release advertising, have fanboys creaming themselves over how cool it is to be able to do shit like that, and a promo art of it is even slapped on the back of the case. And then you actually get to that segment and it's above and beyond the absolute worst sequence in the game.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Force Unleashed wasn't a game so much as a four hour cutscene.

Peter_the_Bard

Educated
This is the gift that keeps on giving. Someone managed to mod the PC version so that it allows you to play every unlockable character, including Azrael, Robin, Catwoman, Bruce Wayne and Gordon at any time with a simple keystroke used to swtich between them. And these aren't just skins either, they have their own movesets. They might as well release these for free after they patch the game to run properly as a way of apologizing, instead of selling them like they planned :lol:

Duraframe300

Arcane
This is the gift that keeps on giving. Someone managed to mod the PC version so that it allows you to play every unlockable character, including Azrael, Robin, Catwoman, Bruce Wayne and Gordon at any time with a simple keystroke used to swtich between them. And these aren't just skins either, they have their own movesets. They might as well release these for free after they patch the game to run properly as a way of apologizing, instead of selling them like they planned :lol:

This is the case with most games with such dlcs on Steam. Nothing new.

And if they do charge for them..... I would stay away from the mod. Unlocking DLC's without owning is one of the things where steam possibly bans people.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
The Batmobile is just one of those things, where when you hear about you just know it's going to be the weakest part of the game.

I get that they wanted to put it in since it's so iconic to the Batman, but really having it play a part in the story like they did in Asylum (albeit that was really minor) is a way better idea imo.

No one wants to drive around a city when you have a fucking grappling hook!!!
Nah it's fun driving it around normally. The problem is when you're doing annoying racing "riddles" and combat encounters. I'm avoiding them like mudcrabs, but from what I hear some are mandatory.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom