Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Batman: Arkham Knight

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Works well for me, stable 30 fps. Everything on high on a gtx 770. The game is tedious as hell though.

Israfael

Arcane
How are the performance issues? Have they been fixed?
Don't think so, they stopped patching after they released DLCs and gave all owners old AC games as a consolation prize. It was worthless for me as i owned them anyway so i just opted for refund. I think it still requires 12+ gb ram to run without stuttering.

pippin

I enjoyed the first two but the idea of having to deal with all the Riddler shit to get the good ending on top of the performance issues makes me stay away from this game.

Dexter

Arcane
I've been playing this after I got my 1080 GTX. I've been expecting it to be a mess, but it's been stable 60FPS at 4K with details maxed and I haven't really run into any issues. It's a lot better than I expected, certainly much better than Arkham Origins. I'm not sure how I should arrange the games, but I think it would be Arkham City > Arkham Knight > Arkham Asylum >>> Arkham Origins (although maybe Asylum gets Bonus points for being the first and getting the gameplay perfected in the sequels to work).

Anyway I got a question, after 100%ing "City of Fear" and "ending" the game, does the Joker commentary disappear forever? Because that shit was the best part of the game and they should've put a big red sign before heading to the final encounter if it's the case.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Anyway I got a question, after 100%ing "City of Fear" and "ending" the game, does the Joker commentary disappear forever? Because that shit was the best part of the game and they should've put a big red sign before heading to the final encounter if it's the case.
Multiple characters flat out telling you "there's no coming back from this" wasn't enough, huh?

J1M

Arcane
Multiple characters flat out telling you "there's no coming back from this" wasn't enough, huh?
What do you expect? He prefers the open world games over Arkham Asylum.

ThoseDeafMutes

Learned
I've been playing this after I got my 1080 GTX. I've been expecting it to be a mess, but it's been stable 60FPS at 4K with details maxed and I haven't really run into any issues. It's a lot better than I expected, certainly much better than Arkham Origins. I'm not sure how I should arrange the games, but I think it would be Arkham City > Arkham Knight > Arkham Asylum >>> Arkham Origins (although maybe Asylum gets Bonus points for being the first and getting the gameplay perfected in the sequels to work).

I appreciated Origins a lot more than most, to the point that if it wasn't marred by the technical issues I might even consider it my favorite. In terms of story and character design it was head and shoulders above the first two. The combat isn't well balanced, but it was at least considerably harder than the previous two games with less forgiving timings, something that as a series vet I was quite appreciative of.

Vibalist

Arcane
What was so great about the story in Origins? Wasn't it more or less the same "Joker plans to destroy something/everything and Batman tries to stop him" fare that we saw in the first two? Or am I remembering it wrong? I only played it once.

Zombra

Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
What was so great about the story in Origins?
The writing in Origins is indeed good as I recall. It has a simple, almost childish initial premise that makes it easy to get into, but the different perspectives and motivations of the large cast brings great complexity to the story. Best of all, though Batman is the main character and in some ways he's even the Macguffin, not everything is about him. You think it's just going to be about 8 big fights with 8 assassin bosses, but there's way more going on. And I don't remember any "this is completely stupid" moments, unlike Knight which has some real dogs.

Almost makes me want to replay Origins again just talking about it to analyze the writing some more, but .. nah.

Zombra

Patron
Oh man. I played all the way through New Game +, 100%ing everything again, because I thought there was supposed to be some kind of special ending. Turns out you get the full ending on the normal story mode if you 100% it. Ripoff. Oh well, at least I got to play it as 70s Batman this time with 60s Catwoman and Robin sidekicking.

utZYIpX.jpg

Dexter

Arcane
To be fair, I don't even much remember the story of Arkham Origins anymore, just bits and pieces of it like that annoying Firefly fight sequence on the bridge, the shock gloves guy that dies from impact and that Joker appears near the end and it's all about him again. I also remember that most of the good world design and characters that they managed to do were copied from Asylum or City before and a lot of the ones they designed themselves were mostly shit and looked like they were made by modelling students:
maxresdefault.jpg

Here's my thoughts from 3 years back: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...man-arkham-origins.82064/page-10#post-3028901

Not sure how people can even say that Arkham Asylum isn't "Open World", since it is, just a really limited "Open World" with a lot of corridors and a really retarded video-gamey story that makes Joker look like this and doesn't play to his strengths as a villain:
Titan-Joker-3.jpg

But that's not even the main reason I would vote Asylum lower, the main reason I would is that after playing City/Origins/Knight and going back to it the fighting overall feels clunky in comparison, like they thought of something great but didn't perfect it yet, and the enemy variation that appeared in City and makes these fights tougher isn't available yet, also there's half a dozen mandatory boss fights that play similar: Muscle Henchmen, Bane, Killer Croc, and finally Titan Joker.

Last edited:

Jensen

Novice
Batman Arkham Knight + Season Pass for 9,99 euro...
Is this still a turd or it was optimized and it's playable now?

Israfael

Arcane
As far as i know, it still requires 12+ gb ram for playing smoothly, but maybe they fixed it. Never played DLC, but i guess they arent worth the money

Vibalist

Arcane
It runs smoothly on my rig which has a shitty GTX 660 Ti (but 16GB ram), so I'm guessing the optimization is a lot better than it used to be. P. good game too, although not as good as City.

Ivan

Arcane
Given how Arkham City did an admirable job of incorporating Batman's major villains into its main story, and even fleshed some of their stories out post-game with Catwoman, it's incredibly disappointing that Rocksteady decided to relegate them to "side quests." It would have been great if each villain were given their due. City did a good job of dividing its map into zones that pertained to certain villains. It truly felt like you were infiltrating their bases and overcoming the traps they set for you. Here, I'm disappointed to say, they are nothing more than a tacked on addition to a mission type that is repeated 3 times. Two-Face is locked behind a half-assed trio of Predator encounters, which are completely undermined by the fact that you don't have to play stealthy due to the Bank alarms (then what's the POINT!). And Penguin is just a QTE b/c Rocksteady didn't care. Firefly is a chase sequence, Hush is a QTE, ManBat is a reach point x to win. What happened to the boss fights?

It's a shame that the world is so beautiful, so detailed, and yet the level design is such crap. It was a mistake having Batman have all of his eqipment from the get-go. There are no suprises to be found in the combat. No new mechanics are introduced. The only time you have to use a gadget in combat is when enemies are charged with current or are wielding the electric batons (don't remember if this was in City). Why not have more enemies that needed to be taken down, or at least weakened, by your other tools before you spam L-click to win?

The story is garbage. Find Scarecrow>he went that way> oh he was here, but he went to this zeppelin, sorry Batman, Scarecrow is in another zeppelin. I swear, if Joker wasn't shoehorned into this, the narrative would lose all of its edge.

Presentation is great, voice acting is outstanding. All style, no substance. Incredibly disappointing.
:2/5:

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom