Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Batman: Arkham Knight

AstroZombie

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin
Finally sufficient polygons.

Indeed.

eJcAjsW.jpg

9B8BeMk.jpg

Might be a good game to test out the rig I'm planning to get late this year.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Graphics look great. I really need to update my PC.

I was super bored playing Arkham City though, for some reason. Still worried this series is a one-hit wonder for me.

Deleted member 7219

Graphics look great. I really need to update my PC.

I was super bored playing Arkham City though, for some reason. Still worried this series is a one-hit wonder for me.

I enjoyed the Ra'as Al-Ghul stuff, and the sidequests, but I was a bit fed up with the Joker. Still, I've enjoyed the series - even Arkham Origins - and I'll probably enjoy this too, I just hope the story ends up being about something more than just the fucking Scarecrow and Penguin.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Not sure how one could like AA but not like AC. It was basically the same game improved across the board. Boss fights were still shit, though.

Machocruz

Arcane
The asylum was a better setting than the boring city that contributed travel time and little else. Looks like they're going to continue this size queen direction, believing bigger is better like a child does. At least we'll get a car this time.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
The asylum was a better setting than the boring city that contributed travel time and little else. Looks like they're going to continue this size queen direction, believing bigger is better like a child does. At least we'll get a car this time.
Implying using the grapnel boost isn't fun

Machocruz

Arcane
Maybe in a city that wasn't visually bland and boring. Asylum had some character, at least to me. But then I've always preferred smaller but wide environments like Deus Ex.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Might want to visit the optometrist -- the city looked fairly vibrant to me. No, there weren't a bajillion uniquely shaped buildings in multicolor but that's not what Gotham looks like in most of the modern interpretations. I think they did a good job holding true to that but still put in plenty of eye-catching signage and views.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Might want to visit the optometrist -- the city looked fairly vibrant to me. No, there weren't a bajillion uniquely shaped buildings in multicolor but that's not what Gotham looks like in most of the modern interpretations. I think they did a good job holding true to that but still put in plenty of eye-catching signage and views.
IMO Origins looked worse than City. I hope they redo the Diamond district (or whatever the metro area is) and add some MUCH taller skyscrapers to climb.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
But then I've always preferred smaller but wide environments like Deus Ex.
So in other words you prefer one type of game, and if the game is a different type it's its fault for being boring.

Now I would say I liked the indoor areas in Asylum more than the indoor areas in City, for the most part. Origins indoors was shit.

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
just hope the story ends up being about something more than just the fucking Scarecrow and Penguin.
It's thinking like this that leads to the Arkham Knight taking off his helmet, laughing and saying "Missed me, Dork Knight??". :hmmm:

Come on, let Scarecrow and Hush have their 10 minutes with Batman in the ring. :)

The asylum was a better setting than the boring city that contributed travel time and little else.
Arkham City wasn't a miles wide map - you glide from the Museum to the Steel Mill within 2 minutes. There is absolutely no travel time to speak of.

And contributed nothing? Hello, exterior fights and predator encounters on the open world map? Feeling like Batman gliding around buildings and surprise attacking enemies on the street? Not having to run everywhere like in Asylum?

Looks like they're going to continue this size queen direction, believing bigger is better like a child does. At least we'll get a car this time.
This fills me with a degree of alarm, as Arkham City had a good balance between size and visual distinctiveness/game content. Time will tell if the world will feel dead and empty like Origins did, hopefully it won't.

Travel time however won't be a problem with the increased gliding flight and, like you say, the car.

Maybe in a city that wasn't visually bland and boring. Asylum had some character, at least to me. But then I've always preferred smaller but wide environments like Deus Ex.
What Metro said.

Come on! Arkham City didn't go Minecraft with its map size. The game world is a small, concentrated part of Gotham, with lots of visually distinct buildings and interiors. The gang-aligned thugs and propaganda posters/grafitti in the three regions also helps adding additional visual spice to each region.

Arkham Origins on the other hand increased the map size to more than twice the size of City, witout adding enough content or visually distinct buildings to the new part of Gotham. Most of New Gotham are just empty streets and blocky skyscrapers, with nothing that made me want to look around the place or even take a shiny screenshot. I just glided past most of New Gotham on my way to my objectives, it was mostly uninteresting, dead space.

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Not sure how one could like AA but not like AC. It was basically the same game improved across the board. Boss fights were still shit, though.

Environment sucked, gameplay wasn't as well crafted, basic premise was beyond dumb and all the side quests were stupid rooftop races, essentially. It's probably still a good game but enough of it annoyed me that I stopped playing halfway through or so.

Shralla

Educated
gameplay wasn't as well crafted.

What? There was not a single aspect of gameplay that was not improved from Arkham Asylum. Every single thing got improvements across the board. Complain about the open world all you want but the gameplay only got better.

Last edited:

Torrasque01

Augur
They remove the triple batclaw, the triple batarang and throwing motherfuckers into eachother, and instead they added weird magic powers like the batswarm and the awful aerial attack.

Machocruz

Arcane
So in other words you prefer one type of game, and if the game is a different type it's its fault for being boring.

Yes, I prefer games with tighter and better designed environments. It's the game's fault for having a blander, flabbier environment.

Might want to raise your visual standards. The city was anything but vibrant. Gotham in the comics isn't either, but no one forced WB to set the game in the empty, grey streets of that city. But even Frank Miller's version in TDKR had more character and life, and Bruce Timm's had a bolder aesthetic, so the fault lies with Rocksteady's designers or WB and their corporate bigger-is-better mentality, which reached its nadir (so far) in Origins.

Arkham City wasn't a miles wide map - you glide from the Museum to the Steel Mill within 2 minutes. There is absolutely no travel time to speak of.

And contributed nothing? Hello, exterior fights and predator encounters on the open world map? Feeling like Batman gliding around buildings and surprise attacking enemies on the street? Not having to run everywhere like in Asylum?

It was larger and blander than the asylum with nothing interesting to partake in, interact with, or look at. Exterior fights? So what? A fight is a fight, which you find plenty of indoors, and the less time I have to spend with the brawling system the better -it's not Godhand ffs, it's tolerable only in aggregate with all the other systems of play. And who just ran around the asylum? Gliding, grapnelling, and surprise attacking enemies were in AA. There is nothing that the City provided that Asylum didn't sufficiently provide while being a more atmospheric setting to boot.

Now if you want to talk mechanics and boss battles, AC may be superior. Well, the latter was definitely improved. Asylum had some of the weakest boss fights I've ever seen in an action game with the production resources it had.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The sniper set pieces couldn't have worked without big outside areas, and the helicopter part near the end also needed it to be a city. There were also some cases with multiple entrances into buildings, which is helped by, but does not strictly require, the city map. There were also too few of these.

I didn't really recall finding the Asylum that exciting or interesting after having completed the story for each section, so I think you guys are overrating what was lost.

How about they stop jacking off to Fatman-specific villains and just add fucking Prometheus into the mix. That guy was intelligent enough to (nearly) take out the entire justice league by himself and had gadgets more advanced than Fatman. A game centred around trying to defeat him would be way more interesting than anything these hacks could ever churn out.

AW8

Arcane
They remove the triple batclaw,
Also known as the Street Sweeper. As if pulling down and knocking out thugs one at a time wasn't OP enough.

the triple batarang
Useful against Poison Ivy's fucking plants (which suck ass, terrible enemies), not much more. Targeting 3 thugs at the same time is tricky because of the targeting system, and if they see you there's a 50% chance they'll dodge the batarang anyway.

Lastly, it's your first gadget multiplied by 3, same as Batclaw. It's unimaginative and boring. Give me Smoke Bomb, Disruptor, Remote Electrical Charge or Freeze Grenade over this any day.

and throwing motherfuckers into eachother,
It's hilarious to throw enemies over rails, into the void. :D

Useful for setting up Ground Pounds, but honestly? I'd even take Bat Swarm over this.

and instead they added weird magic powers like the batswarm
I agree that it's fucking silly, but whatever. Probably the least fun/useful of the 4 combo moves, but there is some usage: Stunning a One-armed Lieutenant before he strikes, allowing you to continue your beatdown, or to stun interrupting thugs before you attempt an Ultra Stun on a Titan henchman.

and the awful aerial attack.
What!? Directed Aerial Attack is literally the reason why I love freeflow fighting in Arkham City. You cape stun an enemy, run up on him, and then launch yourself onto another unsuspecting enemy. SLAM!!

After completing Origins last Fall, I reinstalled Asylum and played through it. And what I noticed is that in comparison to City/Origins, combat in Asylum is stiff, clumsy and limited. The attack range seemed shorter, causing me to break combos when targeting an enemy too far away in the room. On several occasions Batman attacked thin air between me and the enemy, causing me to miss and break my combo. But worst of all is how limited your moveset is. Most of the time you're just pressing LMB over and over again, since you only have the basic Strike attack.

If you find a lone thug in Asylum, there's only one thing you can do if you fight him:
  1. Strike him three times to knock him out.

If you find a lone thug in City, you can:
  1. Strike him three times to knock him out.
  2. Cape stun him and knock him out with an aerial attack.
  3. Cape stun him and knock him out with a beatdown.
  4. Use slide on him to knock him down, then use ground pound on him (slide works to start a combo with!).
  5. Use ultra stun on him to knock him down, then use ground pound on him.
City just adds so much variety to combat that Asylum combat is boring in comparison. You can no longer throw enemies for minor damage, but you can now use Multi Ground Takedown to take out knocked down enemies if you're in a hurry, or use Disarm and Destroy to disable dangerous weapons (firearms) or unblockable weapons (shields, stun sticks) to avoid losing your combo. Or you can just use it to watch Batman bend an iron pipe with his bare hands.

The new moves also adds variety to Predator rooms, instead of slow silent takedowns or grate removals you can accomplish those tasks fast but loud with Knockout Smash and sliding into vent grates.

Most gadgets that were re-used in City received additional usages (quick Explosive Gel during combat, using the Line Launcher to create temporary tightropes, Batclaw can disarm armed henchmen), and the new gadgets have many fun ways to use them, like Remote Electrical Charge:
  1. Ranged stun-locking attack
  2. Sending armored enemies flying
  3. Quickfiring on melee enemies cause them to swing and hit their comrades
  4. Used on electric generators during Predator disarms armed henchmen
These fun ways to use the REC are obviously not featured in Asylum, where Batman's arsenal is very limited and there aren't much variation on how you can use your gadgets.

SO, in Arkham Asylum: Freeflow combat is shit compared to City, Predator gameplay is shit compared to City, and gadgets are shit compared to City.

You can tell me Asylum has a better story, a better setting, a better pacing, better characters, better dialogue, better lightning, better enviroments, a better premise, less plot holes, better art design, better mood, better architecture - and I will likely agree with you on many of these points.

But better gameplay? Negatory, I say! Heck no! NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN!!!

AW8

Arcane
Exterior fights? So what? A fight is a fight, which you find plenty of indoors, and the less time I have to spend with the brawling system the better -it's not Godhand ffs, it's tolerable only in aggregate with all the other systems of play.
It's simply different. In Asylum, it is rare for you to get the drop on enemies in combat (not Predator). In City, you can actually stand on a rooftop spying on enemies, and then glide down onto them, starting freeflow/predator combat at your leisure.

Also I find the combat incredibly fun. To one who find combat mediocre, I see how this point bears little weight.

And who just ran around the asylum? Gliding, grapnelling, and surprise attacking enemies were in AA. There is nothing that the City provided that Asylum didn't sufficiently provide while being a more atmospheric setting to boot.
Tell me more of how you glided from Arkham East to Arkham West.

You run everywhere in Asylum. The occasional grapple to save yourself 10 meters of walk doesn't count. In City, you almost only run in interiors.

And on surprise attacks, in Asylum you had opportunities to do that in the story.
In City you have the same amount of opportunities in the story, and an infinite opportunities in the open world. In this case, infinite actually is better (because it doesn't hurt the main story missions). You can just glide down and kick enemy ass if you want to. There is also Predator opportunities in several places on the map - in Asylum, you only got the few instances of snipers, and it's incredibly limited compared to City.

Now if you want to talk mechanics and boss battles, AC may be superior. Well, the latter was definitely improved. Asylum had some of the weakest boss fights I've ever seen in an action game with the production resources it had.
City still had two "spam batarang/REC and evade"-boss battles, which was just sad to see. One which is the final boss.:negative:
Meh, whatever. The best thing with these games are kicking thug ass and silently picking enemies off anyway.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom