Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Batman: Arkham Knight

Remember the bat-nipple suit? 5.99$ with included Robin Romance module. Taste the rainbow.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Clayface fell into the Lazarus Pit at the end of City, so he's certain to come back stronger than ever.

Clayface is one of my favorite sympathetic villains (okay, Frieze, too). Though I doubt he'll get that treatment.
I hope Clayface doesn't return, he didn't really add anything to Arkham City, he just appeared out of nowhere and never left an impression on me. Not to mention that cheap stunt they pulled with him. Let him die in the Lazarus Pit or whatever.

Clayface in Batman: The Animated Series (voiced by Ron Perlman) was sympathetic and awesome, but Clayface in Arkham City was (Arkham-)Bane-level of DURRR. So nothing of value lost if I don't get to see him again.
I don't even remember what happened to him in City, lol. I was definitely thinking about the Animated version. And I did not know Perlman voiced him. Rock on!

zwanzig_zwoelf

For some reason some of the currently available shots remind me of Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days.
Not that I really mind it.

J1M

Arcane
New made-up villain = blegh. But the Joker has been done to death and Mark Hamill is 'retired' from voice acting. Is Paul Dini writing for this one, too?
It is possible for them to come up with a new iconic villain. For example, Harley Quinn was invented for the animated TV show.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
New made-up villain = blegh. But the Joker has been done to death and Mark Hamill is 'retired' from voice acting. Is Paul Dini writing for this one, too?
It is possible for them to come up with a new iconic villain. For example, Harley Quinn was invented for the animated TV show.
But Paul Dini was the guy that came up with Harley Quinn, and Paul Dini is not writing for this game. You'd need some kind of lucky talent, which is highly doubtful in the videogame industry.

Completely new made up Villain? :|
There's shitload of Villains to choose from, why not choose from those? I would love to see The Monk or Doctor Phosphorous in the game. Or even Arkham version of Owlman.
The new villain looks some kind of mix between Azrael and Jason Todd though there's not much info yet. Kind of generic.

I guess they just want to make a permanent mark to the Batman history which I guess they deserve.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Arkham City - Rise of Sin Tzu.

No Dini script doctoring means the writing's probably going to be even worse than before. Harley Quinn's Revenge supports this.

The article hypes up how much better the polycount is over previous games and I can only think what an expensive waste that is.

I hope the driving feature creep works out for them. :M

Nugs

Learned
Probated
I wish the combat wasn't shit........ Batman + dark souls combat

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
You must forgive Nugs for his flawed thinking. His brain is leaking.

12223.jpg

Shralla

Educated
I wish the combat wasn't shit........ Batman + dark souls combat

At the risk of feeding the troll (or at the very least somebody who jerks off to overly difficult games and hates everything else), Batman combat is fantastic. From the actual controls to the way it flows to the obstacles to overcome with your different gadgets and combo moves, it accomplishes exactly what it set out to do, which was be a good version of Assassin's Creed combat, which is genuinely a shit combat system.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Arkham City - Rise of Sin Tzu.

No Dini script doctoring means the writing's probably going to be even worse than before. Harley Quinn's Revenge supports this.

The article hypes up how much better the polycount is over previous games and I can only think what an expensive waste that is.

I hope the driving feature creep works out for them. :M
Yeah, pretty much. Hoping they add enough variety of fun sandbox mechanics and content to make up for bad writing.

To be honest I liked the story in Asylum but didn't like the story in Arkham City. Actually the writing in Arkham Origins isn't bad, just the gameplay is..

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Batman combat is fantastic..

You mean mashing one button constantly? Yea i guess it's the epitome of combat games if you compare it to such classics as AC
Counters do minor damage in Arkham games. Counters kill in Assassin's Creed games.

If you mash one button you'll be stuck in a single combat for 10 minutes. Have fun with that.

Edit: I really wish Dodge wasn't double tapping though. I just hate double tapping.

Nugs

Learned
Probated
Yea i finished both batmans by mashing 1 button, i want to gouge my eyes out and shoot myself.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Yea i finished both batmans by mashing 1 button, i want to gouge my eyes out and shoot myself.
Play on Hard? I mean yeah you can't die if you perfectly counter everything, but man it's just a boring way to play, it's on you for making the decision to play that way.

You can turtle up your ass in an RTS but that doesn't mean that the RTS is boring. It's your decision to turtle.

Shralla

Educated
"I hate this game, but I played through all of both of them"

Obvious troll.

Plus you can't counter every enemy, like the stun stick enemies. So he's completely full of shit.

anus_pounder

Arcane
Speaking from a LARP perspective, isn't the combat being easy kind of in-character for batman? I always saw combat as a more of a challenge to see just how Batman I could be. Then again, I approach the series as - and enjoy it as - a Batman RP game.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor

Honestly Harley Quinn is shit. Not even a proper villain in her own right just a trumped up moll for the joker. And, again, mostly for masturbatorial purposes.

J1M

Arcane

Honestly Harley Quinn is shit. Not even a proper villain in her own right just a trumped up moll for the joker. And, again, mostly for masturbatorial purposes.
She is certainly used that way by lazy writers, but that doesn't mean she wasn't a good idea for a character. Since the best batman villains are the embodiment of a mental disorder taken to extremes, she fits in perfectly to the setting. She is the batman universe's version of all those women who send murderers love letters and marriage proposals.

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
You're right about her not being a "proper villain", but at the same time Robin isn't a proper superhero. They are both sidekicks.

And if a Robin can grow up to be Nightwing or Red Robin, a superhero in their own right, then a Joker-less Harley has the potential to become a havoc-wreaking psycho gang leader in the vein of Joker - only instead of loving to fight Batman, she lives to exact revenge on him.
She did manage to trap Batman in Harley Quinn's Revenge and cause quite a stir, so she's not completely toothless.

Since the best batman villains are the embodiment of a mental disorder taken to extremes, she fits in perfectly to the setting. She is the batman universe's version of all those women who send murderers love letters and marriage proposals.
:bro:
It's simple but it works and is interesting. You got to love a villain who HAS to leave a clue to prove that no one's smart enough to understand it, or the villain who HAS to flip a coin in order to decide which course of action to take.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom