Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Batman: Arkham Knight

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Quickly reaching Assassin's Creed levels of rehashing, probably worse already since AC at least changes the art assets.

Nugs

Learned
Probated
If this is not UE4 and those are not in-game graphics then i'm not interested

Heresiarch

Prophet
It's hard to say whether they'll execute that right - I feel like very few games mesh "driving" segments with "on-foot" segments particularly well.

There's a 3D action Batman game on the PS(1 or 2 I forgot) which you can also drive in the Batmobile to drive in Gotham City, its video was even posted around in the codex. The 3rd person action part actually looked awful but the driving part was very Quarantine like (i.e. pretty good).

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Yes, yes, yes this looks DEFINITELY!!! YES!!! Hnngngghjgg

This will be the King of Popamole 2014 - and I mean that as a good thing.

But seriously, I'm not particularly interested in this. Asylum was fantastic, City was great, Origins was a cheap Cash-in that added nothing of value to the franchise and felt like a fanboy project through and through. I have Little faith that they will manage to return the series to its main strength with this fourth instalment, mainly excellent storytelling, good level design and grim Batmanny atmosphere.
Rocksteady did not develop Origins, Warner Brothers Games Montreal did. Rocksteady's been working on this since they finished City, why could they not pick up at the great level they left off with City?

This is the third installment of the series, Origins was a spinoff.

Oh, and no Joker, pretty please?
Bringing him back would be the lamest thing ever. Hopefully Rocksteady is aware of that. We finally have one chance to get a Joker-free game, where a villain like Scarecrow can get the spotlight, so they better not fuck this up.

Edit: Strange, I thought you couldn't edit your post after an hour had passed.

I thought they were doing a 1950's, Silver Age batman. Disappointed. Regardless, welcome back Rocksteady. They are the developer Warner needs but doesn't deserve.
The rumor said a Silver Age Batman/Justice League game was in the works, about Batman's first meeting with the Joker.

I don't know where they got the Silver Age or the Justice League from, but aside from that the rumor was obviously about Arkham Origins.

Last edited:

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
ZHE41cc.png

THE MIGHTY BEN AFFLECK IS COMING!

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
I guess if you really wanted to close the series right you'd give players access to Batman's full repertoire of gadgets. It's hard to say whether they'll execute that right - I feel like very few games mesh "driving" segments with "on-foot" segments particularly well.

A GTA-/Saints Row IV-like Batman game could actually be pretty cool.
Indeed. I, for one, would love playing a Batman driving around the batmobile spraying poo on the Joker's hideout or running Down the street wearing pantyhose twatting people over the face with a giant rubber cock.
Well, Batman's mental state was clearly deteriorating in the Arkham City DLC, so it would be a natural progression. Holding out for this.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
New game being pumped out CoD style?

Check.

It's a Batman game. Arkham is in the title because the first Arkham one was successful and we'll just repeat that?

Check.

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
So... we'll get an even smaller city to explore than Origins? Must make space for those graphixs!

aris

Arcane
New game being pumped out CoD style?

Check.

It's a Batman game. Arkham is in the title because the first Arkham one was successful and we'll just repeat that?

Check.
Since when did you begin to take an interest in games?

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Mildly excited. I hope the Batmobile sections aren't just cheap gimmicks.

AW8

Arcane
Speaking of the Batmobile, the Riddler wearing a mechanic outfit is a little alarming. There better be some Riddler trophies locked in contraptions and good old "align the question mark"-riddles in addition to the new race tracks(!).

Riddler challenges seem to be car based. The first one has you enter a sort of Riddler race track where you have to activate walls and ramps, when you activate one another closes so as you drive you have to be constantly turning on and off these ramps as you navigate the course.

MsFcfot.jpg

catfood

AGAIN
So how popamole are these games anyway? Do they have regenerating health and 30 different icons pop-up on screen at the time? I've been meaning to give them a try but never got around doing it really.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
So how popamole are these games anyway? Do they have regenerating health and 30 different icons pop-up on screen at the time? I've been meaning to give them a try but never got around doing it really.
You get health by beating up bad guys. If you die it's not really punished though.

AW8

Arcane
You get health by beating up bad guys. If you die it's not really punished though.
Worth to mention is that health only regenerates when you get XP after the fight is over, though. So there's no way to recover all health by avoiding the retarded AI like in modern shooters.

What do you mean by "30 different icons pop-up on screen at the time"? There are prompts on what button does what the first time such an action is available in the game. And there are also counter icons over enemies heads when they attack, unless you're playing on Hard in Asylum, New Game Plus in City, or toggle the option off independently of difficulty setting in Origins.

Check this video out until the 2 minute mark to watch the first fight in the game:

And this video shows a predator room being completed (4 times faster than any human will ever manage to):

Whenever you're outside in Arkham City and Arkham Origins, the compass is sadly always displayed. And if your HP isn't at 100%, the HP bar is shown as well. Other than that, there is no HUD.

Do you like Batman? If so, then I'd recommend to give the games (at least Arkham City, the best one) a try. They're not really hard games, but for the most part they are really fun. Freeflow combat is about keeping a combo going and eliminating enemies with your various moves and gadgets.
Predator (stealth) segments are about disposing enemies in hilarious ways and the satisfaction of seeing them panicked. These games really make you feel like Batman, and while they might be made for console, they are actually working great on mouse+keyboard too.

Last edited:

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I played and finished all 3 and I dont give a shit about open world, UI and whatnot. So I'll be getting this too.
I want new story, better fight sequences and better level design. I liked AC least cause of the fucking filler content. There should be a DERP button if you want to play the game or if you want to chase collectibles.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Honestly, i don't give a crap to Arkham asylum "combat" and "stealth", they are boring, easy and formulaic. What I wanted is a lot glinding challenges, one more crazy than the other, the closest I got to have real fun with AC was by doing those challenges with some really crazy routs. If I can make batman drive the batmobile, drive it into a ramp, make it go into space then jump out of it on mid air and try to glide through a really twisted and crazy green ring tunnel, it would be a good 75% off material.

Maybe with next gen, you can get in and out of a building without a loading screen...
You can only dream DeepOcean...

Eyeball

Arcane
Speaking of the Batmobile, the Riddler wearing a mechanic outfit is a little alarming. There better be some Riddler trophies locked in contraptions and good old "align the question mark"-riddles in addition to the new race tracks(!).
Would much prefer a return to Asylum's riddler: the riddles being actual, you know, riddles, prompting you to take photographs of the correct spots in town. IIRC, City had the same thing, but it was a lot less clever and interesting than in Asylum.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Bunch of stuff:

• Last Batman game for Rocksteady, will work on something totally new next.
  • There will be a brand new villain, something made by Rocksteady that they say will be the ultimate test for Batman
  • Batmobile can be called at any moment with a button.
  • The city streets are much wider to allow for the batmobile. You will rocket jump off ramps and do all sorts of cool maneuvers.
  • You can eject jump out of the batmobile right into a super fast glide straight through the glass of a building to knock out enemies. They said glass breaking will be a big new thing.
  • New moves include being able to use all your gadgets during flight. You now have a counter throw where you counter a guy and throw him into another guy. A new quick ground takedown. A quick backflip where you then throw a batarang in an enemies face.
  • For the predator sections you can now chain takedowns of up to four enemies. For instance pop out of a grate and take one guy, jump to the next and so on. You can now enter grates from a distance, he will automatically do a jump or roll to enter them.
  • Riddler challenges seem to be car based. The first one has you enter a sort of Riddler race track where you have to activate walls and ramps, when you activate one another closes so as you drive you have to be constantly turning on and off these ramps as you navigate the course.
  • Batmobile fires missles and stun guns. It destroys anything it touches so if you bump into cars the cars go flying. It's basically unstoppable.
  • Story is that after Joker's death all the criminals decided to work together and their plan comes together this night where they plan to kill batman. The article talks mostly about Scarecrow, he scattered bombs throughout Gotham.
  • Oracle will play a larger role, you get to visit her base and talk to her, tons of batman easter eggs included.
  • Kevin Conroy is Batman, all the previous voice actors are back.
  • Gothom City is 5 times bigger than AC. Split into 3 areas. NO LOAD TIMES at all, entering buildings is seemless.
  • They spend a bunch of time talking about how detailed the models are, one character has more polygons than the environment of Asylum.
  • Batman will start off with the old batsuit and upgrade at some point in the game.
  • It says it is running on their modified Unreal engine.
- All quickfire gadgets can now be used during flight.
- Combat tweaks (note: Not enough time to go over these in detail. for example, you can throw by tilting left towards the opponent and hitting counter)
- did I mention the screenshots are gorgeous?
- Arkham Knight isn't just the name of the game.. it's also the name of the [new] villain.
- Fear Takedowns. ie, burst out of grate, action slows down allowing you to target another goon for another attack and so on. Can be used on groups up to 3 as long as they're close enough together and no one has already spotted Batman.
- They seem to try to tackle the old school Arkham issue of "open door - black screen loading"
- The game looks gorgeous. Huge.
-"This is a single-player game. There is no multiplayer."
- You can launch into a fast glide from the Batmobile just like the trailer.

-No more pre-rendered cinematics everything is done in engine
-The larger riots can have up to 50 people flipping cars and looting stores.

Characters
-Things such as Gordon's trench coat and Batman's cape now have Apex cloth physics. They react realistically to changes in wind and movement
-When it rains rains bead of water run down Batman's suit tracing every groove
-The wrinkles on Gordon's face crinkle as he talks

The City
-The city is as detailed as ever with realistic moving clouds with the moon shining through
-Halloween characters and balloons litter the street adding a creepy vibe
-Neon signs of the various shops shine brightly around the city
-The skyline has helicopters and blimps flying through it
-Steam puffs out of the sewers in a realistic way

• You can now use the linear launcher on anything to create ziplines. This is done in mid flight so you can quickly land where you want.
  • All enemies now have the ability to grapple Batman, not just big guys.
  • Roads wont have many vehicles, just some thug cars and cop cruisers
  • There can be enemy riots, up to 50 enemies on screen at once.
  • More Riddler type challenges than just racing.
- Arkham Knight is built on a "juiced up" version of the a custom Unreal Engine to make use of the Xbox One and PS4.
- By not being cross-gen they've been able to push what the machines can do
- Rocksteady describe Arkham Knight as "a real, genuine next-gen game"
- There is no multiplayer in Arkham Knight. Rocksteady is focused on "making the best single-player experience it can" and doesn't feel it needs multiplayer.
- Game Informer says Rocksteady isn't saying what's next but "it's most definitely not Batman related"
- The finale has been in mind since the development of Arkham City
- Rocksteady is emphasising the detail is more important than the scale of the world. They don't want to create the biggest open-world, they want to create the richest, densest and most vibrant
- Batmobile is designed to be "the best car in any game ever", it takes up around 160mb of memory in game and will just about fit in an Xbox 360 (if that was the whole game). There are hundreds of thousands of polygons, as well as textures and shaders used on it

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom