Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Batman: Arkham Knight

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
What we need is a video game adaptation of Batman Odyssey. Just the player sitting at a table while a shirtless hairy Bruce Wayne rambles at them like an insane man for eight hours.

batman_odyssey_05_page011.jpg

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I thought it was already spoiled that Arkham Knight is
a Bruce Wayne clone.

Or was that bullshit?
That was from a supposed "leak" of the game's plot. It's most likely bullshit.

Hush was already set up in the last game; it's highly unlikely we're gonna have 3 guys running around with Bruce Wayne's face and Kevin Conroy's voice.

From everything that's been revealed and was set up in Arkham City, I'd say the Arkham Knight has an al Ghul connection and not a Waller one. Amanda Waller attacking Gotham and wanting to replace Batman with her own makes zero sense anyway.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
My prediction: If the game is on par with Arkham City, I will love it if a Batman fanboy. If one is not a fanboy, but likes this still of game, and it is still on par, I believe they will enjoy it.

If you enjoy the Arkham Asylum Metroidvania-type, more power to you. I have no problems with that type of gameplay myself - it just needed a lot more polish on the boss battles instead of copies of fucking Bane fights.

I know everybody dislikes the Assassin's Creed type of "spam counter and win", but the main thing about the Arkham games is that you can't really do that - if you set it to hard, and don't put yourself through the tedium of "counter counter counter counter counter" which I will admit will work. TBH countering is a shitload harder than AC because of enemies with blades, enemies with guns, enemies with electrical weapons, and enemies with

Note I am not saying it's on par with, say, Dork Souls, Jedi Outcast, Severance. Nor can I say it's not on par. It's a lot of apples and oranges... Arkham is a lot more arcadey.

Now if you bring in DMC then I will kow-tow in obesience.

However the other thing a like about Arkham is the stealth part. Which, no, is not at all as good as Theif and whatnot, and no bias here because I love the way the Hitman series handles stealth.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
a Bruce Wayne clone.

Or was that bullshit?

Hush was already set up in the last game; it's highly unlikely we're gonna have 3 guys running around with Bruce Wayne's face and Kevin Conroy's voice.

From everything that's been revealed and was set up in Arkham City, I'd say the Arkham Knight has an al Ghul connection and not a Waller one. Amanda Waller attacking Gotham and wanting to replace Batman with her own makes zero sense anyway.
Hmm that is a very good point. Talia perhaps?

Yeah Waller's a lot different... She has "best national interests" in mind in that she'll clone Batman when he has to retire, but she has absolutely no motivation to take him out as long as he's making positive change.

AW8

Arcane
Yeah Waller's a lot different... She has "best national interests" in mind in that she'll clone Batman when he has to retire, but she has absolutely no motivation to take him out as long as he's making positive change.
Indeed. Waller rounds up supervillains to work for the state. Rounding them up to destroy Gotham would be ludicrous.

I think the only reason Waller was included in the "leak" is because she was featured briefly in Arkham Origins, to set up Arkham Origins: Blackgate (and Assault on Arkham). And Rocksteady had nothing to do with that. Arkham Knight is going to be the finale to their trilogy of games, where they wrap up their story. Whoever wrote up the "leak" thinks Waller is some pivotal cornerstone of the Arkhamverse - she isn't, at least not in Rocksteady's portion of it. She's never been a part of it.

While there were quite a few new faces in Arkham City, most of the cast of Asylum returned as well. And in Knight, we see the same thing: All of Batman's allies in Arkham City are back, as well as the main villains (who are still alive). They could have used completely new characters in the marketing such as Huntress, Batwing, Batgirl, Professor Pyg, Anarky, Deathstroke, Dr. Hurt. But apart from Firefly and the Arkham Knight, there have been no new (for Rocksteady) major characters revealed. There will most likely be one or two new faces apart from the ones mentioned, but for the most part it's established characters in the big roles. And I just don't see how suddenly introducing Amanda Waller fits that pattern.

Ra's and Talia was introduced in the last game were they played major parts. They are both only dead for as long as it takes their disciples to get them to a Lazarus Pit. Ra's was behind Arkham City and said that it was only the beginning. Azrael prophesied that the fires would spread from the ashes of Arkham City and Gotham would burn. Azrael is now hanging around Gotham to protect it, seemingly worried Batman can't do the job properly. Azrael is an agent of the Order of St. Dumas, centuries-old enemies of Ra's al Ghul. There's an army of trained soldiers (and ninjas!) wreaking havoc in Gotham, apparently backed by someone with a great fortune judging from their drone vehicles.

If Ra's or Talia isn't behind this, that's an impressive misdirection.

Hmm that is a very good point. Talia perhaps?
I wouldn't be at all surprised if Arkham Knight is Rocksteady's version of Under the Red Hood and The Dark Knight Rises/Batman Inc.

My guess is that Scarecrow is defeated 2/3 into the game, then it's revealed he and the Arkham Knight worked for an al Ghul. Batman is just about to scream "RAAAAAYSCH!" when it is revealed that it's actually Talia, and Ra's is still dead! Because lover-turned-enemy is cool. Then Batman manages to convert the Arkham Knight into the Red Hood, and with his help he punches and punches and punches Talia until she's hoisted on her own petard and dies (again) without Batman breaking his rule. Then Batman fakes his death just because.

Batman has become a legend by ending the threat against Gotham. Now you can continue to build that legend through further gameplay and downloadable content.

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
a Bruce Wayne clone.

Or was that bullshit?

Her wanting to clone Bruce would make sense -- it's actually part of Terry McGinnis' origin from Batman Beyond (though it was fairly stupid there, too). The full leak says the clone is actually a mixture of Bruce Wayne's DNA and Talia al Ghul's (so I guess it'd be more of some weird Damian type character than a full clone). And Waller herself wouldn't have to be attacking Gotham, the clone could just escape and go rogue.

But, yeah, Arkham Knight being someone they set up in a previous game would make more sense. If it's not related to the above then my money's on it being Hush.

AW8

Arcane
community.wbgames.com/t5/Batman-Arkham-Knight-General/Batman-Arkham-Knight-Spotlight-The-Disruptor/m-p/502245#U502245

Welcome to our new "Batman: Arkham Knight Spotlight" series, bringing you additional insight about elements of our trailers straight from Rocksteady.

In our last trailer, All Who Follow You, we unveiled a new gadget in Batman’s arsenal: The Disruptor. This new gadget has been tailored to meet the challenges of Gotham City’s vast landscape through its long range capabilities, and provides options that bolster Batman’s ability to control engagements like never before.

large

Core Abilities

The Disruptor has three charges per engagement, requiring Batman to carefully select how best to use each charge in order to compliment his plan of attack. The core abilities at Batman’s disposal out of the box are:

• Jamming enemies weapons when they attempt to fire at Batman
  • Exploding enemy weapons (by using two charges on the same weapon)
  • Rigging weapon crates to shock enemies who try to arm themselves
  • Tagging vehicles with tracking devices for Batmobile pursuits

Expanding Batman’s Tactical Options

The Disruptor provides Batman with greater tactical flexibility in any engagement before it even begins. Before combat, the Disruptor can be used to jam the weapons of an opponent, buying Batman precious time to gain the advantage and land the first attack. In Predator scenarios, the Disruptor can be employed to target various enemy devices by rendering them inactive, or even turning them against their owners.

Additionally, the Disruptor is equipped with a long range scope, allowing Batman to survey and set up control of the situation from the rooftops of Gotham City with pinpoint accuracy.

Extensive Upgrades

The Disruptor has an extensive selection of upgrades to choose from – each providing their own unique advantage to Batman.

For example, the ‘additional charge’ upgrade provides more simultaneous options for each engagement, allowing additional greater situational control over the devices and weapons that could become an obstacle.

Alternatively, a high level upgrade is available to Batman allowing him to hack and disrupt the turret of the Arkham Knight’s Drone Tanks. This creates the opportunity for Batman to draw the Drones attention on foot, only for its turret to backfire and self-destruct when it attempts to fire.

As a sneak peek of how the Sniper Disruptor works in the game, we’ve also got an exclusive GIF to share of Batman disabling a thug's weapon prior to beginning a combat encounter.

Stay tuned to the forums for our next Batman: Arkham Knight Spotlight article, where we’ll take a look at the Batwing’s role in Batman: Arkham Knight. In the meantime, be sure to check out our latest episode of Arkham Insider to delve even deeper into the All Who Follow You trailer.

I love to hear the new ways to use the Disruptor in Predator.

Her wanting to clone Bruce would make sense -- it's actually part of Terry McGinnis' origin from Batman Beyond (though it was fairly stupid there, too). The full leak says the clone is actually a mixture of Bruce Wayne's DNA and Talia al Ghul's (so I guess it'd be more of some weird Damian type character than a full clone). And Waller herself wouldn't have to be attacking Gotham, the clone could just escape and go rogue.
You're right on that point, it doesn't have to be all as ludicruous as I painted it.

AW8

Arcane
Terry as a Bruce clone was both stupid and ruined the point of batman.
I actually watched a Batman Beyond episode this morning, God I love that show.

Waller revealing how she manipulated Bruce's DNA into Terry's father makes for a great, great episode, but on the big scale it's definitely a bad move, yeah. Terry is just a punk who stumbles upon Wayne and becomes the new Batman. That this same punk is actually the product of a cancelled genetical project to make a new Batman is beyond ridiculous. :)

Thankfully, this fact made up several years after the show ended isn't something you ever think about when watching the show itself.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Matt being Bruce's son too was hilarious though.

Especially when you realize that Terry's dad may have divorced his mom because he had two sons that looked nothing like him.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
The boss fights are ass but the free roaming, stealth gadgets, ambushes and such more than make up for it. Especially since Batman isn't overpowered and will die if you do something stupid/expose him to gunfire.

I haven't been following the pre-release hype for this game, but I would gladly wager all my brofists something of worth that Joker is either Arkham Knight, or the ultimate antagonist of the game. I'm not saying it will be good, or make sense, but I can't see any reality where the coke-addled execs greenlit this game without Joker.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Terry as a Bruce clone was both stupid and ruined the point of batman.
I actually watched a Batman Beyond episode this morning, God I love that show.

Waller revealing how she manipulated Bruce's DNA into Terry's father makes for a great, great episode, but on the big scale it's definitely a bad move, yeah. Terry is just a punk who stumbles upon Wayne and becomes the new Batman. That this same punk is actually the product of a cancelled genetical project to make a new Batman is beyond ridiculous. :)

Thankfully, this fact made up several years after the show ended isn't something you ever think about when watching the show itself.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
The boss fights are ass but the free roaming, stealth gadgets, ambushes and such more than make up for it. Especially since Batman isn't overpowered and will die if you do something stupid/expose him to gunfire.
Yup. Though I did fine boss fights in City to be better to some degree than in Asylum.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Were system specs posted?

Minimum System Requirements

• OS: Win 7 SP1, Win 8.1 (64-bit Operating System Required)
  • Processor: Intel Core i5-750, 2.67 GHz | AMD Phenom II X4 965, 3.4 GHz
  • Memory: 6 GB RAM
  • Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660
  • Graphics Memory: 2 GB
  • DirectX®: 11
  • Network: Broadband Internet Connection Required
  • Hard Drive Space: 45 GB
Recommended System Requirements
  • Processor: Intel Core i7-3770, 3.4 GHz | AMD FX-8350, 4.0 GHz
  • Memory: 8 GB RAM
  • Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760
  • Graphics Memory: 3 GB
  • Hard Drive Space: 55 GB
ULTRA System Requirements
  • Processor: Intel Core i7-3770, 3.4 GHz | AMD FX-8350, 4.0 GHz
  • Memory: 8 GB RAM
  • Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980
  • Graphics Memory: 3 GB
  • Hard Drive Space: 55 GB

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Not surprising considering how detailed the AK's preview clips look compared to AC. Of course, 980 for Ultra is probably bullshit unless you include all the worthless post processing and hair effects.

All previous Batman Arkham games had PhysX, guess there's no reason to think this one won't. No doubt that's what Ultra requirements are for.

Machocruz

Arcane
Replaying Asylum and City in preparation. Brilliant popamole. I can't understand the praise for other popamoles like Uncharted and Assassin's Creed, when games like this exist. So much more fluid, polished (combat in Uncharted and AC games is janky), atmospheric. Better platforming/traversal, better combat, better writing, better level design; Arcadey: don't have to deal with (as much) bullshit modeling of inertia or muscular friction or any other concessions to "realism" -my new pet peeve thanks to shitty Witcher movement.

I've been critical of the combat in the past, but that's because I'm not into long combos in any game and like to have precise control over whether a kick or punch is thrown. But man, after you spend some time playing other western-made AAA offerings, this shit is like playing Street Fighter compared to everyone else's Pit Fighter.

I guess the problem all along has not been that popamole is too easy/shallow/dumb. It's that 99% of it is objectively shittily made.

AW8

Arcane
Replaying Asylum and City in preparation.
I'm planning to replay them myself. Looking forward to Croc's lair and the Trials of the Demon gliding tutorial!

Brilliant popamole.
That's an excellent description of Rocksteady's Arkham games.

New Arkham Insider:

The Arkham Knight's voice sounds even more electronically masked than before.

The way they try to hammer home that the Scarecrow is the big puppetmaster behind it all just makes me more certain that he's gonna be dispatched and replaced by the REAL BIG BAD some time into the game.

Gotham%27s%20Future.jpg

The Beyond skin looks pretty cool, but absolutely nothing like the Batman Beyond suit. Why they even call it Beyond is... beyond me.

The Dark Knight skin... the face is awful, and his body reminds of something... hmmm.

Ah yes:

3SFKENg.jpg

Last edited:
Unwanted
Douchebag! Shitposter
YOU CAN PLAY ROBIN??

CAN YOU PLAY BATMAN AND ROBIN IN COOP?

CAN YOU DRIVE A BATMOBILE?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom