Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Bastion - the Wonder Years of Action RPGs

bhlaab

Erudite
I got sick of the narration after about 4 minutes of video so

Irxy

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Looks heavily inspired by Legend of Mana, story/art/gameplay - all is very similar.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Eh, I like the art style. All-in-all more promising than most of the stuff coming out.

Annie Mitsoda

Digimancy Entertainment
Developer
Saw a bit of it at PAX - the narration was interesting, kind of charming, and didn't grate. The graphics look fucking gorgeous in motion, too.

And seriously - how is putting concept in "as art in the game" lazy? Isn't concept art supposed to show what the game SHOULD look like, and the closer the game can look to that, then - hurrah?

I echo the sentiment that not everything needs to be grimdark. This game looks luscious, and I'm okay with that. I can get my daily recommended dose of grimdark dark grimness in plenty of other locations ;)

(Side Note: indies at PAX were a huge presence this year, and some of the coolest and most fun games at the show - the PAX 10 were a delight as always, but others like Monaco were equally enjoyable)

LazyD

Liturgist
I guess it looks alright.

Its Xbox exclusive right?

zeitgeist

Magister
Annie Mitsoda said:
Isn't concept art supposed to show what the game SHOULD look like, and the closer the game can look to that, then - hurrah?
Absolutely not.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Isn't concept art supposed to show what the game SHOULD look like

No, it's supposed to be a CONCEPT from which you build the final graphics. You don't just throw some lame ass Photoshop paintings in the game and pretend they're graphics unless you wanna be edgy and misunderstood.

random_encounter

Educated
Well that video was a waste of several minutes. Narrator got annoying and the gameplay just looks boring. Not sure if that was because the narrator had to call out every fucking thing had something to do with that. Art style was cute.

Also, I see they're going to overuse the whole "mystic-floating-floor-assembles-itself-while-walking" thing as seen in Undying, Darksiders, etc. Great.

Zeus

Cipher
random_encounter said:
Well that video was a waste of several minutes. Narrator got annoying and the gameplay just looks boring. Not sure if that was because the narrator had to call out every fucking thing had something to do with that.

I imagine that, like film narration, it's front-loaded and will fade into the background as the story progresses, reappearing to discuss important plot twists and the like.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Yeah, can't criticize graphics because that makes you a graphics whore, can't criticize story because that makes you a story fag, can't criticize games because that makes you a hater. I know, I know. I'm so sorry for being belligerent.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
No, I'm "taking offense" at using concept art as graphics. There's nothing wrong with doing graphics in Photoshop if you make them look like graphics and not like some doodles which is what Bastion looks like.

They don't even have the painting look of Braid for example... they're what you usually see when developers release concept art.

if you make them look like graphics and not like some doodles which is what Bastion looks like.

Careful, entering "trying too hard" territory.

edit: Heh, just came across another post-apoc game with mostly colorful graphics. Sort of.

http://wikirby.info/wiki/Shiver_Star

I didn't really pay attention to the world select screen when I played it years ago. Shat brix, etc

edit 2: FUCK

One thing about Mystery Dungeon Red/Blue - some of the friend habitats (a weird system in itself) show clear signs of former human occupation; in particular the Power Plant and Weird Laboratory even mention specifically that they were constructed in ancient times by humans, and then abandoned (creepily, these facilities are still mutely active and executing some eternal autorun). In addition, the pokemon of this world know what humans are but have never met one, as though they were a legend or relic out of the past. Could this world be the same as the one depicted in the other games, just centuries in the future, after some catastrophe induced human extinction - based on the condition of their remaining sites, perhaps a virus (Deoxys???) or neutron bomb? Is the human PC not only altered physically and mentally but also wildly displaced in time? This would also explain the presence in this world of pokemon who could not exist without the intervention of human science, such as Porygon and the otherwise long-extinct fossil pokemon.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Look, I know people find it hard to swallow when their tastes are questioned. But I'm not doing that. That art is good for what it is: concept art. I'm only saying it's not graphics.
But I'm sure it will satisfy the "LOL not everything has to be grimdark" crowd anyway, because we all know that there are only two graphic styles: grimdark and retarded wapanese children bullshit. So it can only be one of those, motherfucker, and now it seems that the latter is the edgy one, because look at me I'm playing childish looking games and yet I'm an adult! I'm so going against the current!

Edit:

Not-grimdark, colorful, cartoony-graphics that don't look like weeaboo concept art: http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/b ... tId,18638/

Aaand now it went knee deep into "trying too hard". You may now quote me TALKZING LIEK DIZ LOLORZORZ to keep with tradition.

Actually, let me try it myself...

FeelTheRads said:
LOLOLO I DUN LIEK TEH GRAFFIX SO THERE NOT REAL JSUT PHOOTSHOOP DDODLES ROFLMAO!11!1

Hey, it's kinda fun :)

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
hoverdog said:
Bastion_092010_00011.jpg

WELCOME IN POST-APOCALYPTIA

Looks just like fallout 4.

:necro:

You fucking called it!

XWOuu8G.gif

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom