Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bastion, any good?

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
KotC is new and innovative? It's a goldbox game with 3rd edition rules. And meat boy, really? Have you actually PLAYED the fucking game, did you fail to notice every warp zone in the game referencing another game very similar to it?

Those are every bit as generic as Bastion, the only differences being that they copied games you like better to begin with and have shittier budgets. Whether or not Bastion is a good game has nothing to do with it being an indie game and trying to attract an audience based on that, the premise is retarded. Meatboy is every bit as chained to the commercial market as Bastion was. They just did a better job with their visual or gameplay gimmicks.

But no, clearly the whole world is fapping to indie games for being indie games and only you can see it. Continue your righteous crusade good sir.

Annonchinil

Scholar
@sgc_meltdown

Yeah, ok, indie appeal does not mean super innovative gameplay mechanics. Most people always knew that. Nice of you to finally catchup. Even fucking gamespot, since I think 2007, distiguished between 'unique' and 'arthouse' in its emblems. Checking its review of Bastion, the writer did not think the game was 'unique'.

As for assumptions about indie developers and indie buyers, well, that's just pointless BS. It's the equivilent of a non-fiction writer, writing thoughts of historical figures into his narrative. Either provide me with proof, or don't state it. The only thing I read that comes close to your argument, is a Vogel interview about how his financial constrains limit his graphics.

Also, lol to this:

when in fact as this thread has quite properly examined in this case Bastion would not have survived on the strength of its core mechanics alone and instead relies on peripheral distractions and hooks to convince the buyer of its worth

Are you actually using the codex as proof of a marketability of a game? Hahahaha. The Mainstream is praising Bastion for its variety and customization.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
KotC is new and innovative? It's a goldbox game with 3rd edition rules.
Have you actually PLAYED the fucking game, did you fail to notice every warp zone in the game referencing another game very similar to it?

Grasping at straws, aren't you? KoTC's virtue wasn't that it tried to pass itself off as new and innovative, even though being 'a goldbox game with 3rd edition rules' very much makes it so in comparison to the rest of the catalog.
Same for Meat Boy. Did Team Meat try to pass those levels off as new and innovative as well, or does the difference between 'obvious homage to its predecessors' and 'marketing that like it's new' go over your head? You might as well lambast System Shock 2 for having those cloned minigames that dared to steal from the greats.

It must be terribly confusing when you have no easy stock answers for the rest of my post.

Those are every bit as generic as Bastion, the only differences being that they copied games you like better to begin with and have shittier budgets.

Really, it's sad that quoting myself will do as a reply because it goes to show that you're just regurgitating your drek. At least backpeddle or something, it'll be amusing.

What distinguishes style over substance(or a gimmick versus an actual well thought out mechanic) is whether the meat of the game is still laudable without the style. If so the style is an added bonus and elevates both itself and the substance.

as for the other person:

Yeah, ok, indie appeal does not mean super innovative gameplay mechanics. Most people always knew that. Nice of you to finally catchup.
As for assumptions about gamers, well, that's just pointless BS. It's the equivilent of a non-fiction writer, writing thoughts of historical figures into his narrative. Either provide me with proof, or don't state it.
Nice pointless BS opening there. Provide me with what indie appeal means while you're at it. You seem to be quite the authority. On bullshit, not indie appeal.

Even fucking gamespot, since I think 2007, distiguished between 'unique' and 'arthouse' in its emblems. Checking its review of Bastion, the writer did not think the game was 'unique'.
Ah yes, the iconic integrity of the games industry, you have cemented it. Please tell me more.

As for assumptions about indie developers and indie buyers, well, that's just pointless BS. It's the equivilent of a non-fiction writer, writing thoughts of historical figures into his narrative. Either provide me with proof, or don't state it.

The biggest indie games site, it has done so.
http://www.indiegames.com/what.php

Quite a glowing picture that paints. Please flail around about how objective the indie community is again, or if you like, provide supporting evidence for your own argument or whatever's left of it. That's what you like, yes?

Hahahaha. The Mainstream is praising Bastion for its variety and customization.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appeal_to_the_majority

Hahahaha. The Mainstream is praising Oblivion for its variety and customization.
Hahahaha. The Mainstream is praising The Sims 3 for its variety and customization.

Yes. Laughter. Indeed.

Annonchinil

Scholar
Dude, you are clueless. You try to pass yourself of as intelligent and ahead of the curve with statements such as:

for games the term 'indie' is rapidly turning out to be yet another marketing label used to convey a certain type of approach to a product. I find that it usually means bog standard genre mechanics with a visual or gameplay gimmick
add attractive yet low budget graphics and slightly different soundtrack that further serve to heighten the effect of 'everything is new here'

When fucking gamespot has been aware of it for a long time. But you have your head so far up your ass that you can't even see the point. Intead your reaction is 'lol gamespotz, theyz mainstream'. I can't define indy appeal, but at least most people can distiguish between a unique and an innovative game. I bet all those adventure game players think they are playing innovative games :) The point is that gamespot has been aware for four years of what you just are realizing. OMG, you are stupider than gamespot.

As for your link. Well why the hell would you ignore your original argument about the consumer, then provide a link that has nothing to do with it? It's like you state two pieces of shit, then provide 'proof' for only one. Then claim that you 'won'.

Also who gives a shit what some indie producers do to promote themselves? You made a huge generalization about the whole industry and the claimed it as fact.

http://rampantgames.com/blog/2008/02/why-indie-rpgs-indies-of-round-table-1.htm

If anything, you get a lot of developers developing games for diffrent reasons with diffrent interpretations of what an indie or innovative game is.

As for Bastion, which is what this is all about,it does not reinvent the genre. The mainstream does not think its innovative. Somehow, instead of reading about Bastion, you went to an indy games site and think it applies to it.

From their press release:
http://supergiantgames.com/site/wp-content/uploads/bastion_announce_02-sep-2010.pdf

SAN JOSE, CA – September 2, 2010 – Supergiant Games, an independent start-up studio
founded by ex-designers of the hit Command & Conquer franchise, announced today that it is
developing Bastion for digital platforms. Featuring a unique interactive narrative style and handpainted
environments in dazzling full-HD, Bastion challenges players to build a new world from
the broken remnants of the past.

"Our goal with Bastion is to hit players' emotional chords in unexpected ways, in addition to
delivering highly responsive gameplay that rewards finesse and experimentation," said game
industry veteran Greg Kasavin, Supergiant Games' Creative Director. "We're pushing to make it
so that players become absorbed in the game's distinctive setting and narrative tone from the first
moments."

Anyways, even if indie games try to promote themselves as innovative, its up to everyone else to judge them if they are.

Other stupid stuff:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appeal_to_the_majority

Oh, you mean like your appeal to the codexes ability to appraise games? Anyways, your argument was that bastion sells due to its gimmics, not due to its gameplay. Since many people enjoy its gameplay, your `appeal to majority` argument is out of place` Finally whats your argument, that Bastion does not have variety or varied customization options?

LoPan

Learned
DamnedRegistrations said:
KotC is new and innovative? It's a goldbox game with 3rd edition rules. And meat boy, really? Have you actually PLAYED the fucking game, did you fail to notice every warp zone in the game referencing another game very similar to it?

Those are every bit as generic as Bastion, the only differences being that they copied games you like better to begin with and have shittier budgets. Whether or not Bastion is a good game has nothing to do with it being an indie game and trying to attract an audience based on that, the premise is retarded. Meatboy is every bit as chained to the commercial market as Bastion was. They just did a better job with their visual or gameplay gimmicks.

But no, clearly the whole world is fapping to indie games for being indie games and only you can see it. Continue your righteous crusade good sir.

I don't see how any game with a price tag is not chained to the commercial market. It seems to me the argument here is rather that a game should not be excused from what it is based on it being an Indie game, a development title often used to excuse something for its failures, and often by other people rather than the company itself.

Originality is a concept made up by unimaginative people. Especially in video games everything comes from the past but if you keep going down the road of who's ripping off who you'll end up with everyone ripping off the ancient Greeks. What manner of point are you trying to raise by bringing up such an idea in the context of the arguments presented? Do display its relevance because it is lost on me.

SirSingAlot

Arbiter
sry to necro this one, but i played Bastion for like 8 hours yesterday /today and boi did i have a helluva fun.

the narrator is great, music is awesome, gameplay is fine, lots of weapons (and ways to upgrade/adjust them) and options to tune ur char (drinks)

if this game is too easy, you can activate certain god-stones to make the enemies more powerful in some regards.

if this is one sale, i recommend to grab it

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom