Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bastion, any good?

I mean the indie rpg, not the Marvel comic character.

Was recently released for XBox Live, got some glowing reviews as a story-fag crpg (though apparently it has the same old 'choose your ending by one choice just before the end' problem), recently Yahtzee did a ZP on it. I don't own a console, but I just found out via google that Bastion has a PC release today. Has anyone actually played it (you console-fag you!)?

Is it any good?

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Think of it as a hack and slash version of Braid but a bit less pretentious. Not as much of an ARPG as you might expect and it's only about ~10 hours long.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
It's available on a console. That means the Kodex Kritikal Konsensus is that it's boring, banal, shit. Also you're a fag for even suggesting you'd play it.

That said, let us know how it pans out. I haven't decided if I'm interested in it yet.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Ulminati said:
It's available on a console. That means the Kodex Kritikal Konsensus is that it's boring, banal, shit. Also you're a fag for even suggesting you'd play it.

That said, let us know how it pans out. I haven't decided if I'm interested in it yet.
But aren't you a fag for even suggesting you would be interested in it?

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
I watched the youtube gameplay vid a while back and my reaction can be summed up as "jesus fuck this narration gimmick and whoever thought it up"

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
villain of the story said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mX48y24t9iU

Looks nice but sounds terribly pretentious. That shit narration isn't helping either.

DO you even know what pretentious means?? Because nothing in that trailer screams "THIS IS A NEW THING THAT WILL CHANGE YOUR PERCEPTION".
It is an hack and slash game. THAT IS ALL! and from the buzz it seems to be pretty good for a indy game, but hey you want to be cool on the codex so it is always good to use some big words and be all unique and shit.

sgc_meltdown said:
I watched the youtube gameplay vid a while back and my reaction can be summed up as "jesus fuck this narration gimmick and whoever thought it up"

I have actually heard it is one of the best things about the game and that it is well done.
I can't judge yet, but from what i understand it is like the ZHP (Nippon Ichi game) song that changes depending on some factors.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
Could have been the audio mix but it came across as extremely obtrusive and slightly condescending to me. Oh so you're telling me what's going on. This is like fully voiced dialog for gameplay. Great.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Played the demo yesterday, was okay, but clearly not worth buying. The naration didn't bother me at all, but it feels like I played this before, and had more fun, in other games.

But I gotta say, it DID felt a little pretencious, possibly trying a little too hard.

Eyeball

Arcane
Downloading it now. Will most likely like it - I quite like Hack n' Slash, and the narrator gimmicks looks like it would be fun for 1 playthrough at least.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
why the fuck does this fucking game insist on always starting on my secondary monitor?

pipka

Savant
Tried the demo. It was boring and not representative. The narration gimmick is funny. The smashing and shooting part is nothing special.
Either the beginning is boring, or the game is boring.
From the demo I can say that I won't purchase it. Maybe will properly try the whole product(it's on trackers/file-hosters), but it's highly unlikely.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Definitely something to wait for a sale. It's cool that they make games like this now and then but it's nothing earth shattering.

Warlock

Novice
Sorry bros but the game seems shitty to me. Played it for half an hour, seemed boring, uninstalled. Naration seems cool though. Maybe I just don't like this type of game... :?

ortucis

Prophet
I have been playing this game for a few hours and I am loving it. It isn't childish shit like Deathspank nor is it boring as fuck dungeon crawler like Torchlight.

Nice action, love the narration (though it is lifted from The Bard's Tale.. new one, which was also awesome) and graphics are lovely with game supporting AA and wide-screen resolutions on PC (not to mention the controls are perfectly laid out even though they are customizable.. you can use mouse/keyboard/gamepad).

In other words, this is the first Indie game in long time which doesn't feel like a rip-off after all the hype.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Narration is fun. Reminds me a little of the dungeon master reading up descriptions of areas and all. Only ever saw this used in TOEE. And then only in the tutorial. Like how the narrator not only reads on set moments but reacts to what happens on screen. Nice.

The world forming around you is pretty nifty as well. Music is pretty groovy either. Otherwise the game is bog standard hack and slash.

ortucis

Prophet
Oh yeah, the music is great. Mix of Indian classical music with modern (or whatever) western themes.

CrimsonAngel said:
villain of the story said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mX48y24t9iU

Looks nice but sounds terribly pretentious. That shit narration isn't helping either.

DO you even know what pretentious means?? Because nothing in that trailer screams "THIS IS A NEW THING THAT WILL CHANGE YOUR PERCEPTION".
It is an hack and slash game. THAT IS ALL! and from the buzz it seems to be pretty good for a indy game, but hey you want to be cool on the codex so it is always good to use some big words and be all unique and shit.

I noticed people tend to use "pretentious" when they mean "artsy", probably because of association.

Pretentious_Art_Major_Preview_by_deaddays.jpg

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
The character travels in the world through SKYWAYs. Do you hear this Skyway? You are in the game! Isn't this the best day of your life?

Exmit

Scholar
I think the dev is a dexer

1) We have Skyways

2) You drink 'spirits' to have passive buffs - there was a thread on kodex about making a game with this

3) There will be something more probably when i get further into the game :M

So which one of you faggots made this game ?

Multi-headed Cow

The enemies are djinn. DJINN.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom