Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Indie Basilisk Games (Eschalon) working on a sci-fi RPG

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by LESS T_T, Sep 24, 2015.

1. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Parrots:
    Codex 2014
    Click here and disable ads!
    Basilisk Games of Eschalon series is working on a sci-fi RPG. No details yet: http://basiliskgames.com/a-small-update/

• Brofist Brofist x 15
    ^ Top  
  2. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2015
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Morblot Savant Patron

Morblot
    Parrots:
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    So, a (presumably) turn-based scifi RPG. Is this what Jaesun has been waiting for?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Kem0sabe Arcane

Kem0sabe
    Parrots:
    The eschalon engine was shit, these guys had some nice ideas in terms of skills use and interactivity but that was it... As Infinitron says, if you take longer than a one man team vogel to release a worse rpg than avadon, then you are hopeless.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  5. Jaesun Fabulous Moderator Patron

Jaesun
    Parrots:
    Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
    He was *supposedly* going to do a blobber as his next project. But I will take ANY sci-fi turn-based game I can get. I am so fucking fucking sick of fantasy shit.

:takemymoney:

• Brofist Brofist x 12
    ^ Top  
  6. undecaf Arcane Patron

undecaf
    Parrots:
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Hopefully it's the sort of down to earth no-bullshit sci-fi without any borderline magic special/superpowers.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. vonAchdorf Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

vonAchdorf
    Parrots:
    Didn't have the Eschalon games have some futuristic plot as well?

^ Top  
  8. Pope Amole II Prestigious Gentleman Nerd Commando Game Studios Developer

Pope Amole II
    Parrots:
    Just wait for a couple of years until I'll get myself a budget for some decent artists. It's pretty far ahead but that's gonna be some proper sci-fi incline.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  9. Zdzisiu Arcane

Zdzisiu
    Parrots:
    Here is hoping the Mighty Putin wont conquere you before and force you to work on Sojuz Simulator 2016.

^ Top  
  10. Pope Amole II Prestigious Gentleman Nerd Commando Game Studios Developer

Pope Amole II
    Parrots:
    I'm from Crimea (though I'm sorta not that vocal about this because of sanctions, you know) so it's too late to hope.

^ Top  
  11. Gord Arcane

Gord
    Parrots:
    Hm, interesting, hope it turns out well for him, wouldn't mind playing more of their games.
    But as Infinitron said, he (they? never really knew how many people worked on those games) really needs to speed up the process. I guess taking three years or more is ok for your first game on a new engine, but parts 2 and 3 definitely took too long considering the amount of updates over the older games.

Time travel and some machines (including computers, I think) featured in the main plot, yes, although they were much less obvious than, say, the scifi elements in Albion.

^ Top  
  12. JarlFrank I like Thief THIS much Patron

JarlFrank
    Parrots:
    PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE MAKE THE WALKING SPEED FASTER THIS TIME SO IT DOESN'T TAKE 5 MINUTES TO CROSS A MAP, THANK YOU

• Brofist Brofist x 11
    ^ Top  
  13. Gord Arcane

Gord
    Parrots:
    I never quite understood that complaint. There's a quicktravel system, mark+recall for mages and the walking speed isn't that bad either.

However, the engine does seem to slow down under certain circumstances (e.g. I had something like that in the Linux version using a certain GPU driver), which does make the movement speed seem much slower.

^ Top  
  14. Hobo Elf Arcane

Hobo Elf
    Parrots:
    I'm surprised that they have taken this long just to finalize design docs, nevermind not even start working on the game (as far as I can tell?). Basilisk must've made a decent sum of cash from Eschalon if he was able to poop around this long. I mean he didn't work on Eschalon since 2. Book 3 was made by his brother or cousin or something like that. You'd think that an indie team would be in a rush to make another game after the previous one is finished just to keep the revenue flowing steadily.

^ Top  
  15. JarlFrank I like Thief THIS much Patron

JarlFrank
    Parrots:
    And the revenue would flow way more steadily if they kept shitting out sequels like Vogel used to. They took really long to make these sequels, even though they couldn't have required that much work with all the engine and asset re-use...

^ Top  
  16. Gord Arcane

Gord
    Parrots:
    Didn't he say that Book 3 did not as well as hoped? As far as I know he originally wanted to do a mini-expansion similar to Book 2's "Secret of Fathamurk", but ditched the idea when sales stayed below expectations.
    Imo their slow development pace in the end really hurt them. Book 2 and 3 should each have been developed in 1-2 years, which would have meant lower development cost and likely higher sales - the rpg market at the time would have been a much easier one, I think.
    Considering the strange pacing of Book 3's ending and several largely empty maps, I think it's reasonable to assume that it was still unfinished at release, too.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  17. getter77 Augur

getter77
    Parrots:
    I have hope that they'll get it moreso right this time having learned from the pitfalls that sunk Eschalon by the time they got to Book III---clean slate for an entirely different approach and setting could be just what they need to get the lead out.

^ Top  
  18. Stormcrowfleet Arbiter

Stormcrowfleet
    Parrots:
    I don't know this company or those games but I always like sci-fi RPGs. Were they decent folks ?

^ Top  
  19. Hobo Elf Arcane

Hobo Elf
    Parrots:
    There were pitfalls that were never fixed as the series progressed so I wouldn't get my hopes up that Basilisk has actually learned anything.

^ Top  
  20. PulsatingBrain Arbiter Patron

PulsatingBrain
    Parrots:
    How does he continue support a staff, when a fairly cheap game had such mediocre sales? The working environment much be pretty tense. Or maybe they're fine, and the claims about mediocre sales are a way of holding out the hat and appealling to people's will to support.

Maybe I just always assume the worst in these situations. I had similar thoughts about what Double Fine must be like, what with Tim Schafer not knowing how to count. That would have me constantly on edge about my job security, but they at least portray a fairly happy office in the videos

^ Top  
  21. StaticSpine Arcane Patron

StaticSpine
    Parrots:
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    I'm glad Basilisk is still making games, he was pretty pessimistic after the release of Part III. And a sci-fi setting is always welcomed.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. quasimodo Augur

quasimodo
    Parrots:
    I think Basilisk is just one guy with some outside contract work. I thought EB1 was decent and EB2 showed improvement, but EB3 was a mess. It was way too little too late. I would not be surprised if there was something behind the scenes that slowed development down to point where he had to get it out the door before it was really done.

At this point I'll take anything Sci-fi and TB.

^ Top  
  23. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Parrots:
    Codex 2014
    Hmm, he did a poll on favorite RPG format in May (and actually he confirmd a sci-fi RPG in April), and the result is:

The second is Skyrim and the third is Diablo?

:shredder:

Indeed reconfirm the fact that most of "old-school" CRPG audience are also enthusiastic Skyrim players.

^ Top  
  24. Achiman Arbiter Patron

Achiman
    Parrots:
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
    I liked the first two games, the second Eschalon was the best in the series imo. The third game however... It felt like they lost interest about 1/3 of the way through and the ending was full retard as far as endings go. You had to assemble a mcguffin from various pieces which were scattered all over the world, some in places which appeared to be side quest or unimportant areas.

All that said, yes I hope they make a turn based sci-fi RPG. I just hope the design document and plans for the game is both realistic in terms of time and money and also realistic and achievable to the level of effort and work that is actually required.

^ Top  
  25. Gord Arcane

Gord
    Parrots:
    B-but those are great games!

Seriously though, 1st/3rd person realtime w. free movement includes games such as the Gothic series and a whole lot of other classics with rpg content of various amount (e.g. System Shock 2).
    Isometric real-time includes games such as Baldurs Gate, Torment, etc.

Imo his examples are just weird.

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)