Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Barkley 2 - the new Codex vaporware champion

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Hi Chef, I have a urgent matter that needs to be brought to your attention,

How do you feel about the events of Barkley 1 taking shape in our own timeline, with Rodman travelling to nuke-capable Korea ? Will it eventually trigger a global ban on B-Ball ? How will events unfolding now, influence the future of Barkley 2 ?

eric__s

ass hater
Developer

How do you feel about the events of Barkley 1 taking shape in our own timeline, with Rodman travelling to nuke-capable Korea ? Will it eventually trigger a global ban on B-Ball ? How will events unfolding now, influence the future of Barkley 2 ?
It's important to understand that Barkley isn't fiction. Everything that happens in it will happen in the future. Prepare yourself.

FuelBlooded

Scholar

It's important to understand that Barkley isn't fiction. Everything that happens in it will happen in the future. Prepare yourself.
Will there be a book?

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Docking should be used as the only means to communicate with the horribly mutated dickhead tribe.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
Will the game feature docking?
Doubtful -

venus%20of%20willendorf.png

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
Yeah, we had a stretch goal to license the song but we didn't reach it. It was prohibitively expensive and it's probably better in the long run that we didn't make it.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
Oh man, what a boring update. They must have posted it while I was taking a nap. Don't read the update stuff because it's boring as hell, just go straight to the bort section at the bottom. Gun's have weight!!! Who cares dude. Doesn't even talk about the content stuff we've been working on. I'll post an interesting one next time, I didn't realize we were doing this today.

I've been working on a system where people go inside at certain times, sort of like Ultima. At PAX, people would try to go inside buildings that didn't actually have interiors so I thought it would be cool if I made stuff for people to explore. I'm in the process of assigning houses to each NPC and creating new content for them when they go inside. Hundley's working on a big side quest (FYI everything in this game is a side quest) that introduces a major character and adds a lot of atmosphere. Not sure what bort (my boy 「Melchizedek Xth」) is up to because our sleep cycles are totally off but he's going bonkers on something. Tir na Nog is huge, filled with tons of shit and I'm getting very happy with it. It's not done yet, but it's almost there. Except for one big thing, the rest of the work is just details that add to the atmosphere. We're obviously working on other areas too, but this is probably the biggest in the game (except for Brain City, our stretch goal city) and also the first that's this close to being done.

MurkyShadow

Glittering gem of hatred
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. I helped put crap in Monomyth
I have just been playing Barkley for the first time today. I'm pumped.
Also I have to close the title screen, I think the song's been playing for two hours now.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
RrbFkWYh.jpg

ngbdITTh.jpg

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

ColCol

Arcane
Stop releasing canon stuff outside the game, it's hell for us lore lovers.

xilo3z

Educated
Oh you guys will be at MAGfest, I'll probably see you there. Should I just walk up and slap you in the balls or what?

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
Oh you guys will be at MAGfest, I'll probably see you there. Should I just walk up and slap you in the balls or what?
Let me know how many times you've played the original Barkley. Anything less than 7 will not do.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
So from the 2nd to the 6th we were showing the game at a convention called MAGFest. It was a lot of fun, I honestly liked it more than PAX because it was a lot more casual and laid back (and the game is significantly less embarrassing now). We had our wizard booth up and about 40-50 people previewed our character creation and got codes that they'll be able to use when the game is out to play as the characters they made. The whole process is about 15-20 minutes long but someone filmed the first (and most boring part).

You're actually interacting with the wizard for most of it, but at the start you're setting up the most basic details about your character and don't need the wizard's incredible wisdom. It's too bad she didn't film him at all.

ioWC6uO.jpg

vrVG7RS.jpg

JlAsrJO.jpg

We made these tarot cards ourselves and they're a big part of the character creation process.

Someone also filmed some gameplay, but the footage is so bad that I don't really think it's worth watching. It includes one of the first town's sidequests, a booty bass contest, but I'd skip it if I were you because you can't hear the music or sounds, which is the whole point. It's also got some combat as well. Combat doesn't include any zaubers or class abilities, I'm pretty sure when we show the game next it will have them.

While there, we also got to give a great presentation on Barkley 2 -

A day after MAGFest, a very cool guy called Lazerlong speedran (spedrun?) the original Barkley at an event called Awesome Games Done Quick and because it's about 20 miles from us, we showed up to watch (we're the three guys on the left side of the couch).

http://www.twitch.tv/speeddemosarchivesda/b/493407760

It starts at about 19:00:00.

After a few days of break, we're finally back to normal work. Right now we're working on Brain City, our stretch goal city formerly called Nightmare City. Our original idea was that it would be about the size of Tir na Nog, the game's starting city but as development has progressed, we realized that the concept just isn't going to work unless it's significantly larger, so it's a much bigger part of the world and story now. I don't want to say why we changed the name, but I'll give you a hint: brains.

Anyway, that's what we've been up to, we'll probably post an update about it on the Kickstarter soon but I thought some of you might be interested.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
character gen looks balls out and shakin. good job bros.
how much work do you have left? (I want to play now :()

Last edited:

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
A fuckin lot.

We don't have a release date, but the game is big. The good news is that I feel the thrust of the work is in content now, not mechanics, so we can churn stuff out at a crazy pace. But we're also still putting in and polishing mechanics at the same time. But yeah, a lot of work.

Also, I didn't realize it, our pixel artist Frankie is streaming some Barkley 2 art creation at the moment, check it out if you want -

http://www.twitch.tv/frankiepixelshow

Also, thanks for the character creation compliment. I am really proud of it and I feel like it has the potential to be the best character creation ever. The process in the wizard booth takes about 10-20 minutes but in the full game it takes about 30 minutes per character and is semi-randomized. I really want to show more of it but I don't want to spoil it.

Last edited:
I am really proud of it and I feel like it has the potential to be the best character creation ever.

I accept your challenge

PS the character creation sequence looks fantastic so far. I'm not sure if I will be able to beat your hundreds of gender options

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom