Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Barkley 2 - the new Codex vaporware champion

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
Any chance for an Android port?

Would Barkley 1 work on an Android device?
We're looking into this right now! I don't want to promise anything, don't assume it will be on the Android until we announce otherwise, but it seems like something that is within our capabilities.

Also, a dude is independently working on an Android port of Barkley 1. We didn't contract him or anything, he just sent me the files the other day. It was crazy. We obviously can't officially endorse it, but we will link to it if it's ever completed.

oscar

Arcane
Have you considered incorporating some of the neo-slave tunes of Tony Mason-Cox into the game?

And what the heck ever happened to gamesmasterjasper??

I_am_Ian

Arbiter
Patron
Please, a bit more detail about the character generation process? As a matter of course I avoid anything not turn based because I simply do not care to test my reflexes in my RPGs but I might make an exception for your game.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
Please, a bit more detail about the character generation process? As a matter of course I avoid anything not turn based because I simply do not care to test my reflexes in my RPGs but I might make an exception for your game.
Hey, I'm sorry for the late reply, we've been super busy lately. I don't want to talk too much about the specifics of the character generation yet, but there are several different types that represent the stage of your life you're in. Some of these have multiple choice questions - choosing the answer you most agree with or the action you would take in a circumstance. Others have you forming lists and associations. Others are basically random chance, like tarot cards or this weird gum ball machine. It is very much influenced by the character generation systems in games like Darklands, Twilight 2000 and Megatraveller 2 but our goal is to surpass them in complexity, which I think it does. Another thing to note is that character generation not only affects your character, but also the world. There are choices you make in character generation that can change the actual game.

So that's really all I want to say about that. Right now, I feel like character generation is something very special and I just don't want to spoil it before its time.

Hey, I'm sorry for the late reply, we've been super busy lately. I don't want to talk too much about the specifics of the character generation yet, but there are several different types that represent the stage of your life you're in. Some of these have multiple choice questions - choosing the answer you most agree with or the action you would take in a circumstance. Others have you forming lists and associations. Others are basically random chance, like tarot cards or this weird gum ball machine. It is very much influenced by the character generation systems in games like Darklands, Twilight 2000 and Megatraveller 2 but our goal is to surpass them in complexity, which I think it does. Another thing to note is that character generation not only affects your character, but also the world. There are choices you make in character generation that can change the actual game.

So that's really all I want to say about that. Right now, I feel like character generation is something very special and I just don't want to spoil it before its time.
To Slam or to Jam, that is the question,
whether tis nobler in the mind to shoot baby shoot
or head for the hoop baby hoop

Gold

Augur
Patron
Dead State Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
Looks like I won't be able to finish this one the same way as the last, over a weekend and plastered.

I'm liking what I've seen so far. I hope the demo event goes spectacularly.

Stabwound

Arcane
It will be a better cyberpunk game than Shadowrun Returns, and I'm not even a fan of shooters.

kazgar

Arcane
Maybe they'll be presenting it with a different name at every event until its launched.

If you look at the pax page, they do say they developed sonic the hedgehog.

You underestimate edutainment vidcon developers at your peril.

(Video looks ace, rather excited)

Repressed Homosexual
I'm beginning to fear that the game will be a mishmash of random meta ideas. Not that it's bad, but it looks like it could be so much that it would really lack a cohesive flow. Is this an everything and the kitchen sink kind of game?

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
I don't approve of the name change at all, change it back!
CHANGE IT BACK!

:mob:
We just wanted to see if we could get away with calling it a fake name on the PAX page.

I'm beginning to fear that the game will be a mishmash of random meta ideas. Not that it's bad, but it looks like it could be so much that it would really lack a cohesive flow. Is this an everything and the kitchen sink kind of game?
This reminds me of a question we got at the presentation yesterday. This dude asked if anything in the game was a feature creep and our response was everything in the game is feature creep. At the very beginning of the game we were trying to think of things that would really piss off our programmer, so we came up with this gumball machine that you put a quarter into, and then this gumball slowly, laboriously spins around a chute and then pops out. Depending on the color of the gumball, you get a different result in character creation. But then we realized that's actually a really awesome idea, so it's in the game. So something we knew our programmer would hate making eventually became something that's in the game, and this is how a lot of things get added - we think of something that sounds good (or terrible, like the scrolling marquee at the bottom) and just put it in. That's how Barkley 1 was too and that's what I think is appealing about Barkley in general, it's the game that we want to make. If there's some stupid thing we want to put in the game, whether it's cohesive or even GOOD, we do it. Although in general we have a set course that we follow.

Barkley 2 is a game about the small things, the little flourishes that most games don't have and that most people won't notice. It's not apparent in the video, but there are so many microdetails in this game and I think that's what people will appreciate. And that is what I think you're asking, if these little things are taking away from the rest of the game. But I think that's what the game is about.

But as far as the combat stuff goes, like the video description says, this is all pre-alpha. No class abilities in yet, the AI is super dumb and the random gun generation is about 3/4ths complete. I wish we had recorded the video today versus a week ago because graphically gun's are about a million times more impressive now.

What about console port joystick support?
Didn't see this comment. WELL we've had gamepad support since day 1 so I imagine it'll work for joysticks too. Slaving away day and night for steering wheel support too.

Last edited:

Hobo Elf

Arcane
This is the Cyberpunk RPG I've been waiting for a long time now. This may be the kickstarter I'm most happy about backing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom