Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bard's Tale The Bard's Tale IV Pre-Release Thread [RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Gregz

Arcane
Was anyone actually asking them to infuse scottish myth and lore more directly into the bard's tale world, or is this just another one of inxile's random attempts to incline?

This.

It's such a dumb idea. The original Bard's Tale had a massive bestiary that was perfectly fine. I hate randomized blender mobs with X-eyes Y-tentacles and Z-mouths all with equally randomized names representing 30 'unique' monsters. It's lazy and dumb.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
While this update is rather boring it should be noted that Fargo said in the video (at minute 03:00 - 03:15), that they are quite satisfied with the combat system and are going to show a video about it in January (or end of January... couldn't understand his mumble).
:greatjob:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
While this update is rather boring it should be noted that Fargo said in the video (at minute 03:00 - 03.15), that they are quite satisfied with the combat system and are going to show a video about it in January (or end of January... couldn't understand his mumble).
:greatjob:

End of January.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I thought the Scottish influence was from Skara Brae, which was part of the original Bards Tales.

And dwarves.

It was, but spun off entirely (in my opinion) into its own thing. Not sure circling back to get more Scottish is a great idea, unless it really was just an excuse to write off a trip to Scotland.

Dorateen

Arcane
I thought the Scottish influence was from Skara Brae, which was part of the original Bards Tales.

And dwarves.

It was, but spun off entirely (in my opinion) into its own thing. Not sure circling back to get more Scottish is a great idea, unless it really was just an excuse to write off a trip to Scotland.

I was surprised there was no mention of the Cutty Black Sow.

Gregz

Arcane

And dwarves.

"Skara Brae /ˈskærə ˈbreɪ/ is a stone-built Neolithic settlement, located on the Bay of Skaill on the west coast of Mainland, the largest island in the Orkney archipelago of Scotland."

I stand corrected, still hate those new monsters tho.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It just dawned on me while writing the newspost for this that the VR game that Brian hints at in the video might be Bard's Tale IV itself.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I liked fighting the Tuatha de Danann in City of Heroes, but they got pretty boring after the first few maps. Luckily in that game you could always go fight gangsters, haunted clowns, or steampunk robots for a change of pace. Wonder if that will be an option here.

It's actually pretty awesome that they made the effort to keep Berserkers, though - people have been demanding 99 Berserkers + 99 Berserkers + 99 Berserkers + 99 Berserkers on the forums since before the game was announced. Of course in BT4 we'll be fighting ... eight ... at most, but shit, catch as catch can.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
I liked fighting the Tuatha de Danann in City of Heroes, but they got pretty boring after the first few maps. Luckily in that game you could always go fight gangsters, haunted clowns, or steampunk robots for a change of pace. Wonder if that will be an option here.

It's actually pretty awesome that they made the effort to keep Berserkers, though - people have been demanding 99 Berserkers + 99 Berserkers + 99 Berserkers + 99 Berserkers on the forums since before the game was announced. Of course in BT4 we'll be fighting ... eight ... at most, but shit, catch as catch can.

I think they might try to find some way of making it 99. Maybe by making an enemy model that represents a large group of berserkers that are visually whittled down as you damage "it"?

They could also have more berserkers enter the battle as you kill them until you've killed all 99, but that sounds like it would take too long.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Every time I see an update on this I kick myself for not backing it, it looks to be exactly my kind of blobber and I love they are going for a less generic fantasy look for their mobs and trying different things
I honestly believe next year InXile will deliver with Torment and Bard's Tale

Alchemist

Arcane
ac43754d7ab5652925f51cd9db43f73a_original.JPG

c93f8d0e05885bfccde358a71df1b04c_original.png

ea9f91154cb4722755159628b9e22156_original.png

ee045bc8092ba08fc5cbf5b02cff4a5f_original.png
:prosper:

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
If they think they're going to lure me into buying a VR headset with this shit, they're so mistaken. It looks horrible for 2018, like literally VTMB looked better.

The mimic's skin is not how any skin looks like. It's how rubber looks like.

3d models can be rated on the quality of the realization itself - the mesh, the textures, the animations, but they can also be rated from the aesthetic/artistic point of view. And from all aforementioned perspectives, these models suck so much, I'm having difficulties trying to guess how come they're fucking it up so much. Best guess is, they outsource everything to handicapped homeless ukrainians from ukraine who have no arms because they're afghan vets.

They could've at least rendered those models in marmoset or keyshot or something similar to make it look less like shit. But looks like they don't have any money for any licenses whatsoever, and they hire the cheapest labor possible. Hence the results.

Last edited:

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Why would that guy stay in that pose? In the portrait it's obviously a pose for the portrait and it looks like he's laughing malefically in front of a fire or treasure or something like that. The 3D one looks like he's cowering and saying "plz don't hit me".

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
That is why drawn art is superior to 3D. You can do a physically impossible pose without much thought, and will not have to worry about cameras and lighting and all that shit.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
>video of the combat system end of january

so... where is this shit?

:rpgcodex:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom