Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Bard's Tale IV Kickstarter Update #5: Original Bard's Tale Trilogy Rerelease

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Bard's Tale; Bard's Tale II: The Destiny Knight; Bard's Tale III: Thief of Fate; Bard's Tale IV; Brian Fargo; InXile Entertainment; Olde Skuul; Rebecca Heineman

Some good news in today's Bard's Tale IV Kickstarter update. Most of us were probably expecting to see the original Bard's Tale trilogy rereleased in some form to promote the new one, as was the case with Wasteland. But inXile have gone a step further this time, patching up relations with old Interplay programmer Rebecca Heineman and contracting her company, Olde Skuul, to develop a remastered version of the trilogy using the original source code. The update explains:

Exciting news today: every backer of The Bard’s Tale IV ($20 or more) will get free digital copies of the original The Bard’s Tale, The Bard’s Tale II: The Destiny Knight and The Bard’s Tale III: Thief of Fate!

Even before we launched the Kickstarter, we were constantly asked "can you do a re-release of the original The Bard’s Tale trilogy" and we heard you. We have been hard at work behind the scenes looking at ways to make it happen! The first step was getting Electronic Arts to sign on as they own the publishing rights to the old games, having originally brought them to the market in the mid-80s. EA very graciously had no objections at all, a big thanks to them for their help in making this giveaway happen.

The emulated versions of the classic games will be released for free at the end of the campaign for every backer at $20 or higher, and distributed through our backer web site. This is our way of giving our thanks back to you for all your support and helping us bring back The Bard's Tale.

Some of you may know that the emulated versions of these games work on most modern machines, but are a little rough around the edges. Thus, we have an agreement with the original The Bard’s Tale III programmer Rebecca "Burger" Heineman and her company Olde Sküül to update the games for modern machines! She will be working to make the games run natively, without needing emulators, on PC or Mac. This re-releases will be primarily based on the Apple IIGS versions of the games, along with updated art.

We’ll get you the emulated versions of the trilogy as soon as the Kickstarter ends and our backer site is up. Meanwhile, Rebecca will be working on the updated versions of the games and if that goes well we’ll get you those as soon as she delivers them to us, also for free! As we’re not working on these versions ourselves we cannot give an ETA or guarantee on their release, we’ll all be waiting for Rebecca to deliver us an upgraded version worthy of the name!

Of course, playing the originals will not be necessary to follow the story of The Bard’s Tale IV, but we hope you’ll jump on the opportunity to experience them as thousands of fans did back in the day!
A positive outcome for all parties involved! How about that.

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
At least they weren't showing "default Unity 5" cubes/pre-sets...I'll give them that.

Zep--

Shevek

Arcane
Fargo is doing this all wrong. I would have upped my pledge by 20 bucks for prettied up BT 1-3.

Kz3r0

Arcane

Love

Cipher
Which emulator are they using for the originals in the The Bard's Game from 2004? You even get messages in the games about your choices. Seemed pretty native to me.

ozPcnKf.jpg

VWL1KG0.jpg

cT7vEx0.jpg

FrO3o8h.jpg

bq3w1qT.jpg

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Surprising considering EA could opt to sell these on GOG for like $6 a pop... or do they already?

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Looks like it will also got some tweaks on gameplay (Bruce Schlickbernd is a designer of BT3): https://www.facebook.com/burgerbecky/posts/10153040696162637

Bruce Schlickbernd Congrats, Burger Becky! If you can, go through and balance out the "starter dungeon" for BT III. I told EA that I would not have time to do this for the original and that they needed to have someone go through it, and was horrified when I found out that they never did. Not that it meant anything to people transferring characters from previous games, but I heard it was absolute hell at some points.

Rebecca Heineman Bruce, would you like to edit the data table to correct this issue?

Bruce Schlickbernd Looks at busy schedule...tomorrow, retired. The next day, retired! The next...hmmmm, well, I suppose I have the time!

Rebecca Heineman You're hired, Bruce!!

Bruce Schlickbernd Auto-mapping. I wanted this in the game. I hated mapping - why should I have to map by hand when this was the computer age? So, of course, that was my proposal for the game. Brian said no, couldn't do it for this game. So, I went on to CompuServe (remember CI$?), asked what improvements people would like to see in BTIII (carefully including the example of "such as auto-mapping"), and dumped all the replies that enthusiastically clamored for auto-mapping on Brian's desk. Mystically, a week later, Brian enthusiastically told me how he and Burger had come up with a way to have auto-mapping. I just smiled.

Rebecca Heineman I put auto mapping in already. No one told me to do it.

Bruce Schlickbernd I figured you would, simply because that was the Burger way to do things, it was more to swing Brian around so he wouldn't be angry that time was spent on something he had not approved.

Rebecca Heineman It made the game win all those awards, so all those things I did to the game was worth it!! And a lot of "how did that get in there?" (Innocent eyes)

Rui Mendes

Novice
Was really surprised about that. Surely welcome on my side, since I never had the chance to play the first games.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
Not sure what to make of it... I'm pretty sure the "rework" of BT1-3 costs dozens of thousands of dollars (no one does work for free). I'd rather have this money flow in BT4 features and stretchgoals, instead of being spent on games which already work in DosBox.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I suspect Becky may be doing this for free or a nominal sum in exchange for a cut of the profits (or all of them) when selling the games standalone on GOG

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I got them for free already as they were included in the popamole Bards Tale released a few years ago.

Darkzone

Arcane
So that explains the congrats tweet from Becky. The story turns out better than it seemed. Becky's butthurt is gone and he / she gets her/ his recognition and respect, and Olde Sküül gets a little attention for their DotRift/Rip.
Fargo's charisma is in D&D system is a clear 18 for a human and with his magic ring of friendships, he gets an 20. Now he needs only to hire / pull in Avellone officially and completely into inXile.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Will they make an update which actually make people to pledge? Because their updates are shit so far.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
I think the oven is out for huge pledges, and the biggest part of people already pledged. That said, the flow of money steadily continues, which is great.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom